• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is 4WD/AWD a neccesity on your ski vehicle?

Brad J

I have used my 2005 Mustang with 4 snow tires since it was new, driven in countless snow storms and have had no problems , I drive up to wildcat on those storm days. I just use common sense, I have two wheeled steering and 4 wheel breaks just like awd or 4wd

BenedictGomez

Got to test the ATT tires (tread sortof between all-season and snows) on 3" of fresh snow this morning and was pretty impressed. I think I'm gonna like them. Never had a problem with 4WD and all-seasons, but with all the time I spend in the mountains in winter I figured I'd go with a more aggressive tread, but I didnt want snows.

Hawkshot99

Driver skill in the snow is a even bigger deal than tires or drive system.
When I was younger every time it snowed I had alot of fun playing in snowy parking lots.
At the time it was just for fun. Now when out driving on the road and the vehicle starts to slide or something it can be second nature to correct the vehicles action.
Way to many of the veicles you see stranded are over equiped for the conditions, yet they still struggle.

My 4wd truck with good AT tires doesnt hurt either!:D

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Mullen

Got to test the ATT tires (tread sortof between all-season and snows) on 3" of fresh snow this morning and was pretty impressed. I think I'm gonna like them. Never had a problem with 4WD and all-seasons, but with all the time I spend in the mountains in winter I figured I'd go with a more aggressive tread, but I didnt want snows.

Which ones do you have specifically? Looking to get some like that for my Tacoma

buellski

Driver skill in the snow is a even bigger deal than tires or drive system.
When I was younger every time it snowed I had alot of fun playing in snowy parking lots.
At the time it was just for fun. Now when out driving on the road and the vehicle starts to slide or something it can be second nature to correct the vehicles action.
Way to many of the veicles you see stranded are over equiped for the conditions, yet they still struggle.

+1

I had a 2WD Nissan pickup with sandbags over the axles to help. Any time there was a big storm, I was in a parking lot, hitting the brakes hard, doing donuts, breaking the back end loose on turns, etc. Like you said, now dealing with a sliding vehicle is second nature. I think driving schools should make it part of their curriculum. In all honesty, about the only time I use 4WD in my Jeep is when I take it offroad.

vermonter44

My first car was a Subaru outback which had AWD and I would put snow tires on. Never had any problems.

My current vehicle is a Ford F150 with 4WD and I also put snow tires in. Never had any problems there either.