• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is wool the best material for ski socks?

New Daddy

Wool is way better than cotton in "breathing" and keeing the feet dry.
Is wool then the best material for ski socks?
Or are there some other state-of-the-art, synthetic materials that are even better for the job?

Smellytele

I love wool socks but I also do not like thin socks as a lot of skiers do. In my tele boots the toe box isn't as tight and thick socks do not cut off circulation as they would in downhill boots. Never had an issue with the itchy aspect of wool.

Bumpsis

I have yet to find a fabric better than wool, for socks that is. I've had some itchy wool socks in the past, but now there is plenty of brands out there that make really nice wool stuff. I'm very happy with Smartwool.

sledhaulingmedic

Wool's the way to go. If you have super sensitive skin, try a poly or silk liner sock underneath. I use wool in my work boots as well.

Geoff

I use Smartwool ski ultra light. The sock is a wool/nylon blend. It doesn't chaffe. It wicks moisture away from my foot into the ski boot liner reasonably well. I use the old Head/San Marco silicon injection liner system so I have a very snug fit and had them shot with this particular sock so I can't go any thicker.

I have a few friends who ski in bare feet.

ERJ-145CA

I use custom stitched Sham-Wow's. Made in Germany, and you know Germans make good stuff.

Do you use the thick yellow ones or the thin blue ones. I use the thin blue ones they're a little less absorbent but they're thinner so my feet are more comfortable.

wa-loaf

Smart wool or Icebreaker Ultralight socks for me.

Absolutely stay away from cotton! Wool is a little pricey unless you find a deal, so a thin polly sock would be fine too.

frozencorn

I'll put in a plug here for Darn Tough socks out of VT...got a comp pair before the season and they've taken over as my new faves.

dropKickMurphy

I use custom stitched Sham-Wow's. Made in Germany, and you know Germans make good stuff.

At the end of the day, wear them without shoes at the bar and soak up all the spills. You'd probably be able to wring a gallon of PBR out of them when you got home.

dropKickMurphy

I have both SmartWool and Merino wool ski socks. Both are thin, warm, and non-itchy. They come up pretty often on TramDock for about $6 a pair.