• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

JPTracker

I was thinking this past Friday when I was up at Jay that the Tram Side lodge/IR replacement might come before West Bowl.

The Tram Side Lodge / IR was supposed to be renovated after the Tram House Lodge was complete. Then they started on the Hotel Jay / Water Park so they put off the renovation until after it is complete which puts the renovation to start spring 2012.

BigJay

Didn't look it up... but there is a lot of flagging tape next to the triple up the jet... Lots of trees, lots of branches to trim. Is it for future lift upgrade or just regular trimming?

BTW, really disapointed that Jay is closing this weekend (May 1st)... Last weekend was great! Tons of snow... glades are riding sweet. Lower mountain on stateside is getting thin,,, but again, tons of snow to push around! Everything was fully covered on most trails... No bare spot this late in April is unreal... can't believe that they're closing down.

WAX ski shop sold 40 day passes on friday... and he's just a small shop on the way to Jay... parking lot were kind of loaded for this time of year...

One extra weekend would have been awsome!

C'mon JPR: Make it to the 8th!

2sons

Didn't look it up... but there is a lot of flagging tape next to the triple up the jet... Lots of trees, lots of branches to trim. Is it for future lift upgrade or just regular trimming?

BTW, really disapointed that Jay is closing this weekend (May 1st)... Last weekend was great! Tons of snow... glades are riding sweet. Lower mountain on stateside is getting thin,,, but again, tons of snow to push around! Everything was fully covered on most trails... No bare spot this late in April is unreal... can't believe that they're closing down.

WAX ski shop sold 40 day passes on friday... and he's just a small shop on the way to Jay... parking lot were kind of loaded for this time of year...

Closing weekend last year they only had Haynes and Jet open. With all the snow this year I''m sure they could squeeze one more weekend in. Very sad.

Newpylong

I am just seeing this plan now, and I must say it looks quite ridiculous. 3 lifts and one transfer lift to effectively serve so few trails...the transfer lift is in the middle of nowhere. just doesn't make sense.

Magog Fishy

Hmm, interesting. You got me thinking. I don’t really have any basis for saying this (so a big speculation disclaimer), but could the Bicknell Thrush be dictating Jay's closing? :dontknow: Last weekend I noticed some new towers lying down, which looked like new chair lift towers – I didn’t go looking for them, rather they hit me in the face. Supposedly the Bicknell played a role in Stowe closing a week early, and Burke is supposedly currently under the gun to complete some of the work it has to do for it’s new chair lift before the Bicknell returns from Hispaniola – IIRC, someone posted a few weeks ago for Burke that from May 15 to I think August 15 you can’t disturb the Bicknell habitat. There has not been an Act 250 notice for Jay’s new 6-pack, although they might be able to do/have old permits for clearing/prep work; perhaps JPR wants to start prep work now for the new 6-pack and the Bonnie move knowing they could be under the gun next Spring to get everything done.

It just seems odd that Jay would not have announced by now if they are planning to be open for May 7-8, and they have not promoted recently the "Mountain Closer Hockey Tournament" scheduled for May 7 and 8. :stirpot: If my thoughts above are true, perhaps they could be waiting to see if the snow base will allow them to just run the Tram/Freezer next weekend. Like you said, there was a good crowd last Friday plus Jay would have the Montreal market all to itself for May 7 and 8 -- might make operating economically viable; Sutton supposedly might open for this weekend.

Again speculation! JPR could come out tomorrow with something crazy, like they are open until May 22.

kcyanks1

Hmm, interesting. You got me thinking. I don’t really have any basis for saying this (so a big speculation disclaimer), but could the Bicknell Thrush be dictating Jay's closing? :dontknow: Last weekend I noticed some new towers lying down, which looked like new chair lift towers – I didn’t go looking for them, rather they hit me in the face. Supposedly the Bicknell played a role in Stowe closing a week early, and Burke is supposedly currently under the gun to complete some of the work it has to do for it’s new chair lift before the Bicknell returns from Hispaniola – IIRC, someone posted a few weeks ago for Burke that from May 15 to I think August 15 you can’t disturb the Bicknell habitat. There has not been an Act 250 notice for Jay’s new 6-pack, although they might be able to do/have old permits for clearing/prep work; perhaps JPR wants to start prep work now for the new 6-pack and the Bonnie move knowing they could be under the gun next Spring to get everything done.

It just seems odd that Jay would not have announced by now if they are planning to be open for May 7-8, and they have not promoted recently the "Mountain Closer Hockey Tournament" scheduled for May 7 and 8. :stirpot: If my thoughts above are true, perhaps they could be waiting to see if the snow base will allow them to just run the Tram/Freezer next weekend. Like you said, there was a good crowd last Friday plus Jay would have the Montreal market all to itself for May 7 and 8 -- might make operating economically viable; Sutton supposedly might open for this weekend.

Again speculation! JPR could come out tomorrow with something crazy, like they are open until May 22.

On Facebook, Jay says they plan to open next weekend, and perhaps the weekend after that. Likely closing mid-week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Also, quite the dig against the Bush. :lol: Considering Jay still has 55 trails open :eek: it was quite a legit dig.

I assume that you are talking about this:

‎2 points worth clarifying: This will not be our last weekend. You get what you pay for. Carry on

In some ways I agree. I was :roll: when I heard that Sunday was going to be a free day because it just lessens the value of my season pass, which I bought with the intent of using for spring skiing. So I am not thrilled when they give away skiing like that either. Don't want to rain on the parade and all, but it is a concern.

Newpylong

Also, quite the dig against the Bush. :lol: Considering Jay still has 55 trails open :eek: it was quite a legit dig.

Given they received almost 70 more inches this year than Sugarbush there really isn't a reason why they shouldn't be able to keep more open longer, not to mention snow lasts longer in Siberia. Not really much to dig, it's geographically based for the most part.

kcyanks1

Only 30 trails on the website now. Is that because stuff is closed midweek that will open during the weekend? Weird since even with the mid-week lift closures, all of the terrain is accessible, and could be open. Maybe they have a lighter patrol staff?

I suspect that Sugarbush will have a decent amount of terrain too, probably all of Heaven's Gate and most of Super Bravo. It's not like they will be skiing on Stein's and Snowball.

Edit: Well, maybe not quite as much will be open as I thought. As of yesterday afternoon, their website said:

"We’re still a little unsure of exactly what will be open, but as of now we’re expecting spring classics like Ripcord and Organgrinder off the Heaven’s Gate Chair, and Spring Fling and Stein’s Run off of the Super Bravo Chair. We’ll also have all the runouts and possibly more trails as well. For an update on exactly what terrain will be open, check back here tomorrow afternoon."

We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

BigJay

Only 30 trails on the website now. Is that because stuff is closed midweek that will open during the weekend? Weird since even with the mid-week lift closures, all of the terrain is accessible, and could be open. Maybe they have a lighter patrol staff?

Only Jet was spinning yesterday... lots of trails are closing because bottom of the mountain is melting fast... anything off Ullr should be done now... Still skis great... but the return path is flat and on natural snow... so lots of walking involved i guess... Same with bottom of the bonny. Upper lifts must have great cover still to ski most glades.

I'm looking forward to a great weekend of riding up at Jay Peak!
(hopefully next one as well, and the following one!)

Riding the lifts in the morning to ride... then ride the trails on the bike down in the valley is a dream for May!

kcyanks1

Only Jet was spinning yesterday... lots of trails are closing because bottom of the mountain is melting fast... anything off Ullr should be done now... Still skis great... but the return path is flat and on natural snow... so lots of walking involved i guess... Same with bottom of the bonny. Upper lifts must have great cover still to ski most glades.

Thanks for the info. Weird, website shows terrain on the Vermonter/Northway (not-Ullrs) side of the Tram open, though it does not show the Flyer/Tram as being open. Think they'll reopen that stuff for the weekend? (Not that I am making it up there :-(.)

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Weird, website shows terrain on the Vermonter/Northway (not-Ullrs) side of the Tram open, though it does not show the Flyer/Tram as being open.

For what it's worth, two weeks ago Vermonter had wall to wall coverage from the top of the tram, while some areas heading toward the other side had growing bare spots.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Given they received almost 70 more inches this year than Sugarbush there really isn't a reason why they shouldn't be able to keep more open longer, not to mention snow lasts longer in Siberia. Not really much to dig, it's geographically based for the most part.
Considering Jay's flat run out (flat run outs near the base melt substantially quicker than anything else), I actually am quite surprised Jay has been able to hold on to as much terrain as they have even considering their higher natural snowfall. This time of year, it is all about who blew the most and planned to push it around.

JPTracker

Trail count was high because ski patrol just got out on Tram side today to check the trails. Took a few runs today and the current trail count, 30, is accurate. The Tram will be spinning tomorrow. Bad news is that Taxi is closed, requires walking, and the t-bar is broken so there is no easy way to get from the Jet to Tram Side.

They made the pond today for the pond skimming tomorrow. It is just uphill from the Flyer in the last jump on harmony lane. Just uphill from the bar.:beer:

Last edited:

JPTracker

Trail count was high because ski patrol just got out on Tram side today to check the trails. Took a few runs today and the current trail count, 30, is accurate. The Tram will be spinning tomorrow. Bad news is that Taxi is closed, requires walking, and the t-bar is broken so there is no easy way to get from the Jet to Tram Side.

They made the pond today for the pond skimming tomorrow. It is just uphill from the Flyer in the last jump on harmony lane. Just uphill from the bar.:beer:

Bonnie will be running today so you will be able to get back from Stateside to Tramside.

Wow, some serious thread drift here. Just goes to prove that people prefer chatting about skiing at Jay Peak more than discussing condos and waterparks! That is a good thing.

If you haven't seen it already, check out the three Jay Peak trip reports on Harvey Road from Laszlo Vatjay, owner of Plattekill. He has a very interesting perspective:

Episode One, in which Laszlo arrives, and gets the lay of the land:
http://www.nyskiblog.com/2011/04/laszlo-at-jay-peak.html

Episode Two, in which Laszlo experiences a "Welcome to Jay Peak" kind of day, retreats to the Ice Haus and comments on the development situation. All from his cell phone:
http://www.nyskiblog.com/2011/04/jay-peak-vt-42111.html

Episode Three, in which Laszlo has better weather, enjoys the great snow, meets some friends and reflects on the Jay Peak experience:
http://www.nyskiblog.com/2011/04/jay-peak-vt-42211.html

Magog Fishy

Sky Haus (summit) Restaurant and Wedding Chapel coming soon - apparently!

Man, Jay Peak just keeps reeling in the $ for develoment -- $45m MORE committed, with $45m MORE on the way. Apparently there will be a new Sky Haus restaurant soon with extensive outdoor terraces – I imagine one of the main uses will be for wedding receptions. There is also going to be a Wedding Chapel – I assume this will be also on the summit since that is where I believe most of the on-mountain wedding ceremonies are being held presently. It had been awhile since I had checked out JPR EB5 Web site:

http://www.eb5jaypeakresort.com/jay-peak-resort/completed-eb-5-project.php#phaseIII
http://www.eb5jaypeakresort.com/jay-peak-resort/eb-5-project-statistics.php

Anyone know (JPtracker?) if they will be replacing the whole Sky Haus? I find it hard to believe they will given all the antennas (probably more a gut renovation) but $100m more in capital (apparently JPR kicks in about 10% of the capital) is a lot of $ for just 100 modular townhomes/condos along the golf course (small units; say they cost $175k each = $17.5m), new golf course maintenance facility (say $5m), new administration building (say $5m), new Stateside boutique hotel (say $25m) and sports rehab facility (say $7m), and new Stateside lodge/ski school (say $12m). Maybe Tram Side Cafeteria/Austria Haus rebuild is also in the number, or I am probably not counting some things (new 6-pack chair to get the wedding party most of the way to the chapel? :wink:). I know JPtracker said septic at the summit is limited plus the water situation. This master plan map is obviously incorrect:

http://www.eb5jaypeakresort.com/JP_EB5_Map.html

This is the first I had heard about the Sky Haus restaurant/chapel, but it might have just been off my radar since the summit is in Westfield. Tough to keep track of everything going on!

This is all pretty historic in this day of age, plus how JPR raised the capital and mitigated a lot of the financial risk. Will probably be a business school case written about it one day either for its success/achievement, or because they spent over a quarter of a billion dollars :blink::blink::blink: building everything but did not attract the visitors expected (a possibility given that about 50% of the visitors they are relying on have to cross a border – one bad crossing experience can lead someone to not come back).

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Jay Peak has been very effective in using the EB-5 program to finance its expansion. Others are trying to catch up, but they are the leader.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Awesome news about Sky Haus renovation. That summit shack is a pit right now. Completely under utilized, especially when you compare it to Cannon's summit cafe which got beer service added recently. Look at what $teaux gets away with at the Cliff House... big revenue opportunity for those with deep pockets.