• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak - what's the skinny?

Skier4life

I was originally planning on attending the 3011 WM movie in NYC: "Like there's no tomorrow" because other than a great night out to watch a good ski movie with like minded folks, there's the obvious attraction of getting some nice swag and lift ticket options for both Gore and Jiminy.

However, this year's screening, which is operated by Chestnut Mountain Productions [same dudes as last year], has rather sneakily left out Gore mountain in the free lift ticket stakes, leaving just Jiminy Peak!! I haven't called to confirm this, but until about a week ago they still had the 2010 screening information, I sent them an email and they said to keep checking for 2011 updates which I did last night and lo and behold, Gore is not mentioned at all!!!

Gore was my main attraction to the event and now that it is no longer offered can anyone out there tell me if it is at all worth going just for Jiminy?

I didn't use my Jiminy vouchers last year and have never skied there...

bzrperfspec77

Get there early because it gets skied off very quickly. Plus its windy on top (hence the wind turbine on top). Fun mountain though with some good short steeps. High Speed Quads. Cool little micro-breweryish at the bottom. They also have night skiing where my buddies head up there sometimes for some good fun runs.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I was originally planning on attending the 3011 WM movie in NYC: "Like there's no tomorrow" because other than a great night out to watch a good ski movie with like minded folks, there's the obvious attraction of getting some nice swag and lift ticket options for both Gore and Jiminy.

However, this year's screening, which is operated by Chestnut Mountain Productions [same dudes as last year], has rather sneakily left out Gore mountain in the free lift ticket stakes, leaving just Jiminy Peak!! I haven't called to confirm this, but until about a week ago they still had the 2010 screening information, I sent them an email and they said to keep checking for 2011 updates which I did last night and lo and behold, Gore is not mentioned at all!!!

Gore was my main attraction to the event and now that it is no longer offered can anyone out there tell me if it is at all worth going just for Jiminy?

I didn't use my Jiminy vouchers last year and have never skied there...

Depends on what you like to ski. If its bumps then you wont like Jiminy. They have good snowmaking which is a plus but groom a lot. Trails don't have much character but a few have a decent pitch. It reminded me of Windham but with a bit more pitch. If I had a free pass I would hit it for a few hrs at night on my way to VT.

2sons

For me there's no direct route to get there. A solid 2 1/2 hours and within that time frame I can be at Berkshire East or in the Cats. Lift line and Exhibition are fun runs, natural trails that are not open all the time. Like All Skiing said- they groom the piss out of the mountain- no bumps to be had. On the flip side Christiansen's tavern has some good brews on tap and a nice deck to hang out on.. Also a free day of skiing is better than no day skiing.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Depends on what you like to ski. If its bumps then you wont like Jiminy. They have good snowmaking which is a plus but groom a lot. Trails don't have much character but a few have a decent pitch. It reminded me of Windham but with a bit more pitch. If I had a free pass I would hit it for a few hrs at night on my way to VT.

This. Allskiing sums it up pretty perfectly for you. They do a great job making snow. Groom everything. Most trails are pretty straight down the fall line and thus, IMHO, don't have much charm or character. It does have a pretty good pitch and you can get a ton of skiing in off the 6-pack. I will usually hit it early or later season for a day when they run their e-coupon specials.

bzrperfspec77

This. Allskiing sums it up pretty perfectly for you. They do a great job making snow. Groom everything. Most trails are pretty straight down the fall line and thus, IMHO, don't have much charm or character. It does have a pretty good pitch and you can get a ton of skiing in off the 6-pack. I will usually hit it early or later season for a day when they run their e-coupon specials.

I forgot about the 6-pack in the front! Doh! :smash:

Skier4life

Get there early because it gets skied off very quickly. Plus its windy on top (hence the wind turbine on top). Fun mountain though with some good short steeps. High Speed Quads. Cool little micro-breweryish at the bottom. They also have night skiing where my buddies head up there sometimes for some good fun runs.

Fun as it sounds, it doesn't really sound worth the bother.
I must say though that I hadn't considered the night skiing aspect which puts a spanner in the works, somewhat favourably I must say!

hhhmmmmm the plot thickens!!

Skier4life

For me there's no direct route to get there. A solid 2 1/2 hours and within that time frame I can be at Berkshire East or in the Cats. Lift line and Exhibition are fun runs, natural trails that are not open all the time. Like All Skiing said- they groom the piss out of the mountain- no bumps to be had. On the flip side Christiansen's tavern has some good brews on tap and a nice deck to hang out on.. Also a free day of skiing is better than no day skiing.

My commute is about 3 1/2 hrs which seems an awful lot when I take everything you have said into consideration.

I feel you on the free day though in reality I think its actually a voucher for buy one get one free or something...but not complaining!

Newpylong

I think the only time worth going to Jiminy is at night - they do have a ton of lit trails, and a couple with good pitch.

That said, I agree 100% with what people are saying. They groom the hell out of the place and the MAJORITY of trails are straight fall line and boring and scraped off. There are good runs though, Wild Turkey, Ace of Spades, Grand Slam, Upper Exhibition and Liftline, The Foxes come to mind. They make a lot of snow and have a real good lift system. If you're looking to get a lot of vert in I don't think you can beat the 6 pack. The Stratton-esque village and all the time shares are a little much, but they do fit with who they cater to.