• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

June 2015: Winter is approaching!

WoodCore

Guilty as charged. Full blown pussy with a massive carbon footprint. Haha

Same here, run the central AC pretty much 24-7 however, the power for the cooling comes from the solar panels on the roof so the guilt level is almost non-existent.

Cannonball

I LOVE the summer. There I said it! I love the heat. I don't have AC at home or at work. I can't stand going to places that have AC. It drives me nuts that stores, restaurants, etc crank up the AC to the point that you need a coat when everyone is wearing shorts and t-shirts. I seriously don't get it. I barely ever go inside in the summer anyway.

I love winter for the snow. But I'll take long days and warm weather anytime.

Puck it

I LOVE the summer. There I said it! I love the heat. I don't have AC at home or at work. I can't stand going to places that have AC. It drives me nuts that stores, restaurants, etc crank up the AC to the point that you need a coat when everyone is wearing shorts and t-shirts. I seriously don't get it. I barely ever go inside in the summer anyway.

. Karen and Katie use a blanket at the house. But I am happy.

Savemeasammy

One of my customers gave me a big-ass air conditioner last summer after they installed central a/c. It's still sitting out in my carriage house... There are very few days when I REALLY wish I had a/c - apparently not enough (days) to motivate me to install one I already own...! We usually draw the shades during the day and open the windows and run the fans at night.

As much as I am looking forward to ski season, I will enjoy the summer while it lasts (unless we get that obnoxious 90+-degree-with-high-humidity-weather. Ugh).

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Blasphemy!

Well, I actually do not mind summer if I can do fun stuff, but my darn grass requires cutting every week and I have over 1 acre to mow plus trimming and that drives me crazy. Winter yard maintenance takes way less time! Told my wife that we need to move into a Townhouse or Condo. Yard work blows when it is hot.

Puck it

Blasphemy!

Well, I actually do not mind summer if I can do fun stuff, but my darn grass requires cutting every week and I have over 1 acre to mow plus trimming and that drives me crazy. Winter yard maintenance takes way less time! Told my wife that we need to move into a Townhouse or Condo. Yard work blows when it is hot.
Landscapers work for me.

Cannonball

Blasphemy!

I agree, summer is about doing fun stuff! That's why lawns suck, get rid of them! I've turned most of my yard into vegetable gardens or zero-maintenance plants. That leaves ~0.01acres of lawn (combined between 2 houses). I have a kid mow that tiny amount. In a perfect world I'd let it all go to wildflowers.

SkiFanE

I agree, summer is about doing fun stuff! That's why lawns suck, get rid of them! I've turned most of my yard into vegetable gardens or zero-maintenance plants. That leaves ~0.01acres of lawn (combined between 2 houses). I have a kid mow that tiny amount. In a perfect world I'd let it all go to wildflowers.
We live in woods - only way to get that perfect lawn is with chemicals. So we have violets, moss and grass. Where it's sunnier we have clovers and grass. I'd say about 50% is grass mingled with other stuff. Only been mowed once so far - may be due for another befor July 4th. Maybe another time in July, then it's pretty dormant through August. Seems it's miwed about 4x year. Why fight Mother Nature? My neighbor wouldn't miss a Saturday at home to mow. We're too damn busy - thank goodness for our slow grass haha. And it doesn't even look bad - still nice and green.

JimG.

Staff member
We live in woods - only way to get that perfect lawn is with chemicals. So we have violets, moss and grass. Where it's sunnier we have clovers and grass. I'd say about 50% is grass mingled with other stuff. Only been mowed once so far - may be due for another befor July 4th. Maybe another time in July, then it's pretty dormant through August. Seems it's miwed about 4x year. Why fight Mother Nature? My neighbor wouldn't miss a Saturday at home to mow. We're too damn busy - thank goodness for our slow grass haha. And it doesn't even look bad - still nice and green.

Our lawn is the same, we're also in the woods on a trout stream. I won't use chemicals to grow grass.

steamboat1

A little hedge trimming once a year out front, rose bushes need just a little more attention trimming the dead buds so fresh ones grow, they're beautiful in the backyard. Vegetable garden is the biggest pain to maintain. Otherwise the rest of my property is brick work & cement. Once a year power wash & occasional sweep keeps it clean. Sold my mower at least 20 years ago, don't have a blade of grass to mow. Best thing I've ever done.

Pretty cool spring. Didn't turn on the AC until well into the first week of June, it stays cool near the ocean. Pretty much only use it in the evenings watching the boob tube & for sleeping.

Last edited:

Tin

My GF is a nut about A/C, it has to be very cool in our apartment for her to sleep. I personally don't care but last week she made a comment about me not keeping the apartment cool enough....it was 72* outside. So given my ornery state I grabbed 2 extra A/C units my folks were not using just to be an ass. I had 4 8-12k BTU air conditioners running for an nine-hundred square feet. She came home at 5pm to a 56* apartment.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
AC has been on three times this year, less than two hours of use each time. It's central air and can bring down the house temp from a sweltering 83* to a freezing 77* in that time. House temp is typically 80* in the summer and that's fine with me as long as I have a fan running.

bigbog

It's been an amazing June up here...no humidity to speak of...none. Haven't experienced a June as mild & refreshing since I got here in 2002. Temps in the upper 60s(rainy days) to upper 70s with sun. Usually there is a week or so, but the dryness has held the blackflies up north in check..to being just bad ~70% of the time. Some of this air coming down from Quebec is still really cool:confused:.

ScottySkis

I use Ac a lot. I work in warehouse so it gets hot and swesweatya
But I keep it on low fan and not to cool to keep bill not to experience I've in my room. In the loop living room ( dogs bed room () we keep on 72 overnight with really excellent cheap Ac unit in the wall. I have heat and humidity