• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kids Gear/Rentals

braciole

I brought my kids (now 5 and 7 yrs old) out on the snow for the first time last year up at Stowe. Did a full day of ski camp and they loved it. Going to try and do some more local day trips in the next two months. To reduce costs we are looking at seasonal rentals which are around $100 for used equipment for the season OR there's a place by us that does skis, boots and pole rentals for juniors for a $400 one time fee, every year up until your child reaches 110lbs they will resize and provide new equipment as needed. Sound like a good deal?

SkiDork

I brought my kids (now 5 and 7 yrs old) out on the snow for the first time last year up at Stowe. Did a full day of ski camp and they loved it. Going to try and do some more local day trips in the next two months. To reduce costs we are looking at seasonal rentals which are around $100 for used equipment for the season OR there's a place by us that does skis, boots and pole rentals for juniors for a $400 one time fee, every year up until your child reaches 110lbs they will resize and provide new equipment as needed. Sound like a good deal?

the 400 bux sounds like a decnt deal.

I would just look a bit moreinto the financials, but other than that it _sounds_ good......

tcharron

MANY places will take in trade in gear when you buy new, something like 25-50% of the price for other newer stuff. I'd research the place that offers it for 400$. It would be possible that they are, however, it may be craptacular gear.

I've personally had good experiences with http://galacticsnowsports.com/ and their used gear, but I don't know how much of a concern the finances are, really.

Besides all that, my BEST advice? Look at ski swaps, beginning of the season. BEST place I've found for new/used gear.

gladerider

400 sounds like a good deal. i used to shell out about 250 for both of my kids each year. but, after about 3 years, i just bought all their equipments cheap at the end of the season. you can pick up some great deals each season just before and at the end. they both decided to drop skiis and pick up snowboards. so now, the skis are just sitting there, although they do ski once or twice a season.

shops are closing around me due to bad economy and the internet so i'd think twice about long term commitments.