• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 04/22/06 TR and Pics

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Skied: April 22, 2006
Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Firm, groomed, death cookies

Trip Report: I think I will forever refer to this weekend as the ASC Follies. I think this company has either hit a new low in management or a new high in comedy. It's hard to believe that there was only one lift servicing 2 runs and they couldn't get it to work nor could they get the trails into a safe condition.

The morning started with basically one run, it was a combination of Skylark to High Road, to Bittersweet, wow, that 3 trails by ASC's count. This run was firm with death cookies a plenty from the crappy job of grooming that K has been doing during the end of the season.

Superstar was closed first thing in the morning, I thought this was ASC's way of saying "Screw you" to it's customers. I mean how can the season at Killington end without Superstar? However they did finally reopen it around 10-10:30. Superstar was basically a trail within a trail. They had groomed a strip down the middle of Superstar and basically this was all you could ski. If you went off this trail, you would hit death cookies caused by Cat tracks and a bad job of grooming. A lot of people were complaining that the trail was too solid. For the most part these were people without edges on their skis.

OK, for the good part, and yes actually it wasn't all that bad. :) These were probably my last lift serviced runs of the season. Although conditions were as I described them above, I had good edges on my skis and I totally enjoyed my last four runs of the season. I was very tempted to get more in but that was difficult for two reasons:

1. My wife had injured herself skiing last weekend and couldn't ski this week. I felt bad skiing while she was stuck at the base.

2. I got stuck on the lift for about 20-30 minutes. Saturday the lift was literally down, more than it was running. I didn't want to take a chance going up and getting stuck again.

Ended skiing by about 11:30-12:00 and joined a handful of Kzoners for a BBQ on the Access road. Pics can be found here: http://2skierz.com/30year/thumbnails.php?album=3

Vortex

I saw faces I had seen before. Sorry about the lifts. Its just coming to an end. I plan on try for a few hours Sat am if its open. Thankx for the report and pictures.

ga2ski

sounds like I made the right choice to saty home and bike. Thanks for the report sounds like my lift service days are over. Hoping to go on Saturday to Tucks to stretch my season over six months (if so it will be 47 days over 6 months and 1 day)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Bob R said:
Sorry about the lifts. Its just coming to an end.

It wasn't too bad, I had my (cough cough) supplies with me to make myself comfy. I was the second chair out of the base, so I was able to communicate with staff as well as friends and I even had a bit of humor. One of the ambassadors was talking to Ski Dork, when I decided to get comfortable. I lifted the safety bar so that I could put my feet up lay back and relax. This poor guy looked up, thought I wanted to jump and came running yelling "Don't Jump, don't jump!" :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
ga2ski said:
sounds like I made the right choice to saty home and bike. Thanks for the report sounds like my lift service days are over. Hoping to go on Saturday to Tucks to stretch my season over six months (if so it will be 47 days over 6 months and 1 day)

If you had to pay, it sucked. If you have the All for One and good edges on your skis, IMHO, it was worth it just to get a few last runs in. The fact that we had a BBQ and a party with friends afterwards made it all worthwhile.

JimG.

Staff member
From my point of view, it isn't worth paying for a day ticket to ski what's left of SS when I can go to Bear and hike OL for free.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
JimG. said:
From my point of view, it isn't worth paying for a day ticket to ski what's left of SS when I can go to Bear and hike OL for free.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

Jim 100% correct, especially with the lift being down as much as it was. I just got the sense that ASC can't wait to end the season.