• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington: April 29, 2006

snowmonster

Date(s) Skied: April 29, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Spring conditions, loose granular

Trip Report: Temperature was in the 60's for much of the day and it was a great day to be out in the sun and working on a tan.

Again, only the Superstar Express Quad was open and the main trails open were Superstar and Skye Lark. Unlike last week, the black diamond portion of Bittersweet was also open so, coming down Skye Lark, you had two choices of runs: Skye Lark/High Road/Bittersweet (blue portion only) or Skye Lark/Bittersweet (both the black and blue portions). So, in effect three trails were lift serviced. There was still some good snow up on Killington Peak and I saw some people hiking up there and skiing down Cascade and Double Dipper.

Skye Lark/High Road/Bittersweet looked almost the same as last week. Except for more bumps on the 4-Way portion on the entrance of Skye Lark, it had the same terrain as last week -- bumps, bald spots and all. Guess the rains last Saturday didn't wash down everything. I was content to just ski down Skye Lark then I got to the junction with Bittersweet and noticed that it was open. Went in that direction on my second Skye Hawk run and it was pretty bumped up and slushy. In general, not too many people were going down the Skye Lark runs and so at certain times, the trail was quiet and you could hear yourself think.

Not so on Superstar. Seems like everyone wanted to be on this trail. The Superstar headwall was a nightmare. For starters, all that was left to enter the trail was the ribbon on skier's left. Everybody was crowding in this area. The snow that was left was all scraped off and the rocks underneath were exposed. It was a dilemma -- on skier's left of that ribbon, it was steep and bumped. On skier's right, it was flattish but rocky. On my last run, I chose the right side and pivoted on a rock. It tore a hole in my base. I actually felt the base rip!

Anyway, once you got past the headwall difficulties, Superstar was all right. Slushy, bumpy except this time it was even flatter than last week. There was no flat section in the middle in between the bumps like last week but it seemed like the bumps were lower. The bumps were mostly on skier's left of the trail (except after the headwall on skier's right, there's a pretty good bump field there which looked pretty untouched today) It was actually fun skiing Superstar today -- just the right blend of bumps and flats. On the last leg of Superstar (just before you get to the base), there's a good looking bump field on the left. I wanted to test myself on it Good way to end the season!

Until next winter, think snow!

roark

Hey snowmonster. Bob R, Ga2ski and I were out there as well. If you got there earlier SS was a bit scratchy, but less crowded. As soon as the sun hit the trails it all started to get a bit more bumped up. A fun day, not a bad way to end the season (for me - I'm sure Bob R and Ga2 will be out again).

roark

I almost forgot: Ga2ski had one of the better headfirst falls I've seen all season ripping the bumps on his teles.:-o

Vortex

We had to make sure Ga2ski got up before we laughed.:idea: Well not really.:razz: We should have waited till he got up.:dunce:
Again it was great to get out. Said hello to a few K zoners who were parked near me. SkinutDave, and Rusty K (who posts here as well) nice fun hang. They were waiting for the bumps to soften up a bit. SkinutDave says hello Jim G. I had to leave about 11.30 to make an family event. I got a call from AndyZee on my way out and sounds like he made the 2nd 1/2 of the weekend. Roark sorry we missed you on the exit. Time sensitive.

SuperStar was fading at best. The lower section had some nice bumps on the bottom the lower steep pitch just started to soften up as I left, but such is life. BitterSweet was soft 1st and I spent most of my day there. The snow was pretty good. One ribbon was mixture of mud rock and slush. The rest was pretty good.
My last day on my ASC pass.:snow:

Last edited:

skiadikt

i like to add that the best runs of the day were the hike-to-runs. early sat afternoon the dirtadikt & i hiked over to the canyon and skied double dipper which just had the sweetest corn bumps. great continuous run with the snow peetering out on spillway, a short walk above the canyon quad.

closed out the day with a hike over to outer limits with a gaggle of k-zoners including skinutdave, rusty & phantom. more of the same, just huge creamy corn bumps. so good had to savor every turn. whereas last weekend you were able to ski ol from the top, this weekend there a few breaks up top but i'd say nearly 3/4 of the trail has excellent coverage. in fact both runs have better continuous coverage than stupidstar, definitely worth it for you turn earners.

my one complaint for the weekend (sunday was carbon copy of saturday except warmer with things softening earlier), was the grooming of superstar. i can see them pushing snow down the headwall to fix that, but most of the folks were there to ski bumps, and after the brutal grooming, the only bumps left standing were the bumps in the course on lower skiers left and the headwall.

skiadikt

Bob R said:
Would have liked to meet snowmonster and skiadikt. Forgot I did see G-smashed as well.

would have been great to hookup. kind of remember meeting you once before at k.

saturday morning in between runs while we were waitng for supe to soften up, we were hanging in the lodge instead of k-zone basecamp, because my better half needed to be near the coffee machine.

ga2ski

roark said:
I almost forgot: Ga2ski had one of the better headfirst falls I've seen all season ripping the bumps on his teles.:-o

Bob R said:
We had to make sure Ga2ski got up before we laughed.:idea: Well not really.:razz: We should have waited till he got up.:dunce:

Glad I could provide the entertainment. You both got to witness two separate but, very good crashes. As the saying goes "if you ain't falling ain't trying hard enough."

snowmonster

Bob R said:
Would have liked to meet snowmonster and skiadikt. Forgot I did see G-smashed as well.
Bob R, would have been great to meet up with you, ga2ski, roark and skiadikt too. I was actually looking for you and your son. Was looking for someone in a red or green jacket or a tie-dyed AZ shirt. Got to the mountain a little late though. Took my time at breakfast and decided to hit the ski shops looking for some deals before I got to K. Got there at around 1030. Hope to ski with all of you next season.