• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Friday, 11/10/2006 (contingent on opening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

loafer89

I wonder if the truck thing was some sort of liability for them. The K1 eliminates that and it's only a short hike back to the summit from the glades area.

The truck ride was required for both lift methods, and was bumpy as hell. The hike back from the top of the Glades triple would not be too bad by taking High Traverse, which is fairly level.

Killington fouled up their early season skiing in 1998 with the K-1 gondola. I would rather see a chairlift back in it's place, but that will never happen.

Greg

Staff member
The hike back from the top of the Glades triple would not be too bad by taking High Traverse, which is fairly level.

So, there you go. You market the opening as "Expert Terrain with some hiking required".

2knees

So, there you go. You market the opening as "Expert Terrain with some hiking required".

which wouldnt even remotely be a stretch for them as they almost always had "some walking required" posted for late season skiing. why should fall be any different. I've walked down the superstar headwall, the downdraft headwall, the bottom of superstar, walked a while to get back to the old killington double. Whats the big deal about hiking a little bit to go back UP????? and i dont particulary care for hiking in ski boots but i'd shell out full price just for the chance to do just this.

hear that killington FULL PRICE. No pass here. I'm a money generatin, cafeteria food eatin, bar beer drinkin customer.

Grassi21

If all this speculation keeps up this thread will be as long as the Guess the Ski Area one. ;-)

I'm of the wait and see variety. I respect the passionate discussion of this topic. I also think many of you have presented realistic lift config/hiking options. I'll just keep peaking at the weather report and hope for the best!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I will confess that I am getting anxious now. I hope that Spinmaster will come by and give us the scoop soon.

Greg

Staff member
That's interesting that he posted that. I just got off the phone with Tom and downloading right now doesn't seem to be an option, for a number of reasons. They discussed different options this morning (some pretty unique) but nothing seems feasible. At a minimum they would expect 1,000+ guests the day they open with downloading and logistically that's a nightmare. There are also rescue concerns. It's not really all that reasonable to haul somebody up the mountain and then stuff them in the gondola. But from Tom's post it seems like they might be considering something. I've given up on speculating. Time to wait and see as far as downloading goes, but I didn't get a good feeling based on the phone call.

They are not blowing snow on the lower elevations, at least not now. If the forecast changes they need 48-72 hours and 70 guns to blow enough snow down low to open top-to-bottom. If the forecast changes, they will do that, but even 28 degress doesn't get them there if it's 100% humidity. So with all that, 11/10 at Killington is a VERY long shot.

thebigo

Why dont they blow the hell out of upper bunny buster and then open the upper snowdon poma with downloading on the cripple?

The lift capacity of the poma would maintain the snow surface. The line would be massive but who cares, were skiing.

Greg

Staff member
Why dont they blow the hell out of upper bunny buster and then open the upper snowdon poma with downloading on the cripple?

The lift capacity of the poma would maintain the snow surface. The line would be massive but who cares, were skiing.

Well, FWIW, they have considered a number of options. Any "brilliant" ideas that we come up with have likely been considered already. If they can come up with a feasilble downloading plan, they will do it, but the status right now is no opening.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Again, we are all spinning our wheels and worrying about events that are occurring one week away. Someone said that the 10th was "impossible." However, that is one week away...one week's worth of weather, etc.

Now if we were talking about this on Wednesday and were having the same discussion with the same factors, then yes, I'd say that Friday is not happening. But the weather is constantly changing and is subject to change. Anything can happen. I think it is premature to be so doom and gloom at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, but nothing is certain.

JimG.

Staff member
Again, we are all spinning our wheels and worrying about events that are occurring one week away. Someone said that the 10th was "impossible." However, that is one week away...one week's worth of weather, etc.

Now if we were talking about this on Wednesday and were having the same discussion with the same factors, then yes, I'd say that Friday is not happening. But the weather is constantly changing and is subject to change. Anything can happen. I think it is premature to be so doom and gloom at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, but nothing is certain.

This is exactly why I defer participation in guessing opening dates...it's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.

I feel no different today than I did yesterday...the cold will come, snow will fall and will be made, I will ski soon.

Why not on 11/10?

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for your optimism, TTB. I hope you're right. My only concern is the lack of lower elevation snowmaking right now. I guess that could change.

Next year, I will take JimG's approach and refuse to plan or talk about this. My track record on early season Killington plans sucks. Notice my first sentence in this thread... It's all my fault! ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for your optimism, TTB. I hope you're right. My only concern is the lack of lower elevation snowmaking right now. I guess that could change.

Next year, I will take JimG's approach and refuse to plan or talk about this. My track record on early season Killington plans sucks. Notice my first sentence in this thread... It's all my fault! ;)

I guess I am trying to be realistic. It is tough. I don't understand the lack of snowmaking down low either....unless the parent company has said, "we can't risk the $$$." They don't have as much leverage any more. People forget how much money it costs to run snowmaking systems. I wanted to remind one poster in KZ who was going off about how "lame" it was that they were not blowing more. I wanted to ask him if it was his money and his ski resort, would he do the same thing?

But my point, to get back to it, is that we are worrying about stuff that is a week away and that we really can't do much about. There is something that can be done, but again, we're not going there.... :wink:

Greg

Staff member
I guess I am trying to be realistic. It is tough. I don't understand the lack of snowmaking down low either....unless the parent company has said, "we can't risk the $$$." They don't have as much leverage any more. People forget how much money it costs to run snowmaking systems. I wanted to remind one poster in KZ who was going off about how "lame" it was that they were not blowing more. I wanted to ask him if it was his money and his ski resort, would he do the same thing?
Tom did mention they have the budget for it. At this early point, they are being cautious though. They had to basically restart snowmaking operations last season three times, and it seems they are just a bit gun-shy at this early point. Another thing to consider is if they run the guns down low too, they lose capacity up top. Their goal is to put down a base up there that will stick around so they need to focus up high. Whether it gets cold or not next week will determine whether 11/10 can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.