• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Watched the first 20 minutes off The Tree of Life last night. Despite being visually spectacular, it might be the worst movie I have ever seen. After five minutes, I was already done with it but I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt... maybe it would get better. After twenty minutes, I turned to S and we both just started cracking up laughing. We just went on laughing for a few minutes and then started to fast forward and see if anything ever happened.

I get what the director was going for here but epic fail doesn't begin to describe it. I'd recommend it only if you want to laugh at a really bad movie with a group. But I think even this movie will eventually bore even the those that love to watch bad movies for a laugh.

I like a lot of the artsy fartsy movies. Or I can at least respect them even if I think they get too lame. I'm a big critic of indie movies thinking they are great just because they are indie and different. But I can at least respect their efforts. The Tree of Life however is just a complete and total miss.

jaja111

Tree of Life definitely falls into the "you either love it or hate it and no in between" category. I thought it was phenomenal. It just isn't even really a movie but rather one of the most beautiful things I've seen shot. Its like a moving painting, like most Terrence Malick movies. Some of his movies are good movies and others are just good to look at.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Tree of Life definitely falls into the "you either love it or hate it and no in between" category. I thought it was phenomenal. It just isn't even really a movie but rather one of the most beautiful things I've seen shot. Its like a moving painting, like most Terrence Malick movies. Some of his movies are good movies and others are just good to look at.
I started doing documentary commentary over the space and nature scenes for giggles. It really is pretty to look at. But I thought he would have better put his talents to use shooting for a documentary rather than a feature film who's description reads like a drama.

legalskier

Watched the first 20 minutes off The Tree of Life last night. Despite being visually spectacular, it might be the worst movie I have ever seen.

"Tree of Life" was like watching a tree grow. True, a very beautiful tree, but that's about how slow it was.

If you want something that grabs you by the collar and doesn't let go, try "Warrior." The storyline is as intense as the mixed martial arts tournament it depicts. Tom Hardy, Joel Edgerton and Nick Nolte deliver performances you won't soon forget. It's a double leg take down, a full nelson winner.
"As fight films go, Warrior is as gutsy as they get, with not just a big cash prize at stake but a whole family." -rottentomatoes

11158301_det.jpg

Edd

Haven't seen Tree of Life yet but I'll get around to it. I've always enjoyed Badlands but The Thin Red Line was disappointing.

TobySki

Last 2 netflix were really good. Warrior as mentioned earlier was awesome.
Saw The Last Lions yesterday and was really moved by it. I usually don't connect with the plight of animals but this was really well done.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Not Netflix, but just watched Contagion (which I liked), and The Help (which I thought was ok but fairly dull).

Contagion did seem a little overproduced though. They had an A-list set of actors / actresses but many were only in it for fleeting moments. Example: Gwyneth Paltrow is at the top of the list of actresses but was probably in the movie for 5 minutes total.

legalskier

Couple of good British gangsta type flicks: Layer Cake (Daniel Craig), and Harry Brown (Michael Caine, playing a vigilante).

Edd

Incendies. This is a French language film about an adult brother and sister who, upon hearing their dead mother's will, learn some family secrets and travel to the middle east. This film has a shocker ending and is not a crowd pleaser. I'm really not sure I even recommend it but it held my attention.

Oh yeah, and it's kind of hard to follow. Enjoy!

legalskier

On Season 4 of Breaking Bad. Great show.

I want to get into it but my queue keeps skipping over Season 1 due to a "very long wait." :angry:

So I watched The Devil's Double, a docu-drama about a man who was forced to play the role of body-double to Saddam Hussein's son Uday. Uday was so depraved he would have made Caligula proud. If you can tolerate some disturbing scenes of violence and torture, you'll witness a remarkable performance by Dominic Cooper, who plays both Uday and his double, Latif. Latif is faced with choosing how far he should go in playing the role of a psycopath who was protected due to his social status. I had never seen Cooper before and came away impressed.

images

xwhaler

50/50 Really good film abt the true story of Seth Rogen's friend.
I was laughing and tearing up throughout the movie...brought up a lot of emotions.