• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Laurel Mountain PA 1/29

Buckeye Skier 1330

Code:
Date(s) Skied:
Saturday 1/29
Resort or Ski Area:
Laurel Mountain PA
Conditions: Packed powder,tracked powder,crud

Trip Report: Got up very early and made the run over to Laurel. I got there about 8:30, the lifts start at 9:00. It is an upside down resort so you don't have to ride up before your first run. The snow report showed the double black Lower Wildcat was groomed so I went down it on my first run. It was sweet! From my limited experience at Laurel I've found that this run usually gets beat up and icy fairly quickly. But Saturday it stayed in good shape well into the afternoon.

Laurel isn't a big place with only 5 top to bottom runs, but it has a good vertical for this area at 900 feet. It also has a lot of little cut through trails on the upper half that can add a lot of variety to the runs. Even the green run Innsbruck is interesting, zigging and zagging through the woods. Then there is the blue cruiser Broadway which had really good conditions on it. The natural snow trails were pretty well crudded up. I did better on the ones that had been packed down by skier traffic. One trail a blue called Dream Highway
is really nice. It zig zags the opposite side of the mountain as Innsbruck. The cover on Dream Highway was thin in spots, especially the aptly named Rocky Corner.

Overall it was one heck of a day of skiing, with warm weather and not too much wind. Laurel Mountain has come back from the dead twice. It is now being run by 7Springs, hopefully they can get the place going good and still preserve the uncrowded down home feel of the mountain! :D