• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Longevity

John84

I was just wondering what some of you older guys do to keep in shape so that not only will you be able to ski this season, but that you will be able to continue to ski 5 or 10 years down the road.

dmc

John84 said:
I was just wondering what some of you older guys do to keep in shape so that not only will you be able to ski this season, but that you will be able to continue to ski 5 or 10 years down the road.

I exercise, eat right... And take Geritol

product.jpg

smootharc

John84 said:
...wondering what some of you older guys do...

Please define "older" in terms of years you're thinking (20's, 30's, 40's, 50's ??).

"Men's Health" had a recent issue with a decade by decade review of how men change, and how we respond to athletic, dietary, aging issues through the decades. Interesting stuff...

As a man in my early 40's with the looks, tone, athleticism, and virility of a 19 year old in the prime of life, I'm often mobbed at base lodges when people confuse me with Bode Miller....no, wait, that's Shane McConkey...no, wait...hold on, I mean Charlotte Moats...no, hold on, that's only when I'm skiing in drag (every other Tuesday)...oh, yeah, I've got it now...Eddie the Eagle....stop, wait, I'm confused here...Men's Health also mentioned something about our brains rotting away as we age...but I couldn't understand what that meant when my aide read it to me...

:lol: :dunce:

John84

Well I'm only 15 so my opinion of older might be different than yours. I meant this topic for you guys who are into your getting into your 40's and beyond.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
John84 said:
Well I'm only 15 so my opinion of older might be different than yours. I meant this topic for you guys who are into your getting into your 40's and beyond.
when i read your original post, i figured you were like 50 or something. :lol: i don't think you have anything to worry about for a long long time :beer: though i think HPD made an important note in another thread that the older you get, the more important it is to maintain as it's much easier to maintain than build up a level of athleticism again.

tirolerpeter

Old?

John84..."old" is a feeling. I am 59 and actually ski better than I did at 40. While I was stronger then in absolute terms, I am actually much healthier now and better conditioned. I can hit the lifts when they open, and ski to "last chair" without a "quad burn." I have a healthier diet, I drink less (a relative term), I actually exercize very regularly, and I have learned better techniques on the slopes (not to mention, my boots and skiis are vastly better then the stuff I owned 20 years ago). I frequently ski with "older" skiers. I have had to "chase" guys in their 70's! I tell them they are my idols. Keep yourself healthy, eat sensibly, work out, don't let yourself get obese, and whatever you do DON'T SMOKE.

ALLSKIING

Staff member

dmc

50 is the new 30...

Nothing to worry about... I ride with guys in their 60's.... They kick my ass...

madman

You are only 15 nothing to worry about for at least 10 yrs. I know a lot of guys who started going down hill [ not the good kind ]in there mid 20s. Life can slow down then [ Marrage Kids Jobs ]you just cant let it. Keep moving ,Keep playing ,make time for recreation!Dont party to hard. I am 46 and am amazed at how many of my friends dont or cant do things like hike or ski anymore. I cant ski as hard as i use to or walk the miles I use to.But I know younger guys who cant keep up. Have fun! if exersize is not fun you wont do it

Sparky

madman said:
You are only 15 nothing to worry about for at least 10 yrs. I know a lot of guys who started going down hill [ not the good kind ]in there mid 20s. Life can slow down then [ Marrage Kids Jobs ]you just cant let it. Keep moving ,Keep playing ,make time for recreation!Dont party to hard. I am 46 and am amazed at how many of my friends dont or cant do things like hike or ski anymore. I cant ski as hard as i use to or walk the miles I use to.But I know younger guys who cant keep up. Have fun! if exersize is not fun you wont do it
Well said. I'm 55 and I can't do what I did at 35, but I can do a lot more than most of the people I know in there 40s and 50s. As long as you can keep moving and enjoy it how much you can do isn't the only issue. I think the basic key is just to keep moving. The growing day to day responsiblities of life can sneek up on you and just suck your strength away. You have to find time to pay you dues to stay strong so you can still go from open to close (except for bumps). I have found that rollerblading and mountain biking seem to cover the skiing muscles. Also you can work on your skiing techique while rollerblading. I have mentioned this before, but there is a guy at my mountain that is 76, as long as he's still skiing I know i have 21 years left.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm 47 and haven't slowed down a bit. I've had my share or more of injuries, bad ones too. As I've gotten older, I've had to cut down on high impact cross training like mountain biking...I don't like taking it easy and never seem to finish a mountain bike ride without bumps, bruises, and blood. Never liked running.

My workouts for the coming season start in earnest on August 1 and consist of 45 minutes on the Lifecycle, at least 200 crunches on my 75cm exercise ball, various strength training exercises on a progressive resistance machine (no free weights), and then 20 minutes of stretching and yoga.

ctenidae

Everything in moderation.
Including moderation itself.

And what Brettski said. Without the moderation.

awf170

John84 said:

dont listen to the old farts, they cant ski anymore, there just in dinial. I say you got only a few good years left, then the next 10 years of your life youll be stuck skiing groomers at okemo. Then after that youll just drink bear and talk on internet forums about your prior glory

highpeaksdrifter

awf170 said:
John84 said:

dont listen to the old farts, they cant ski anymore, there just in dinial. I say you got only a few good years left, then the next 10 years of your life youll be stuck skiing groomers at okemo. Then after that youll just drink bear and talk on internet forums about your prior glory

LOL-nice calling out the old farts. I like it. I'll tell you what awful. How about u and me show up at one of these AZ day trips and we'll go head to head on any terrain you like. U goin take your medicine that day boy, but don't worry it'll be good 4u.

and I don't drink bear