• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic - 1/2/2008

Date(s) Skied: 1/2/2008

Resort or Ski Area: Magic Mountain, Londonderry VT

Conditions: Heh heh. Chock full of... well, read the report. Seriously, Non-groomers: 5-6" of fresh light powder over more, older powder over tissue-paper ice over grass, dirt and ledges. Groomers: dusting over groomed fresh powder over PP (mixed man-made and natural AFAICT.)

Trip Report: Okay, just adding on to what most of you have probably already read in the other forum, if only so I can find this later.

About me: Improving "advanced," as in non-expert, skier; the only way I'm beating Hermann down the hill is if we're both on sleds and his throws a rod. 41 y.o. ASIA Level I instructor cert. 40 days last season, today was number 18 for this season.

Summary: Place was chock full of FREAKING AWESOME everywhere. Didn't run Witch, Red Line or any woods. Slide, Magician and Black Magic closed. All but two of my runs were on the skier's left and center of the mountain. Black Chair running. If you haven't been to Magic this year, get there -- the place is on an upswing and there is a palpable positive vibe. Get there this week b/c I don't think the base is there to last through difficult weather. Lift ride is long so get there early.

Pics: you want pics? Check these (not mine) out. Yes, believe it. Only with a couple days' more snow on top. The trails I ran weren't as wooded or narrow so the piles were smaller and there were more lines, but conditions otherwise were similar. Use your imagination.

Hell, read Philpug's full post on epicski. He sums it up accurately and succinctly (still working on that last one myself.) The vibe on Jan. 2 was similar to what he picked up on NYE, only with fewer people there on my visit.

Attendance: Overwhelming crowds -- the lower lot was full, and about every third chair had somebody on it. Actually had to wait behind two other people for the Black Chair once. :smile:
Every skier had the most ridiculous goofy smile as they ran and at least half of them were monster skiers -- well, better than me, anyway. After skiing with kids all weekend it was nice to be somewhere where my skills put me in the lower 50th percentile. And even most of the improving skiers seemed pretty fearless -- I'm not sure if it's the conditions or the resort itself but something was drawing in folks who were out to tackle the mountain.

The Details:

Temp was in the teens all day but little/no wind except at top and the hill and the conditions encouraged activity so it really didn't feel cold. But dammit, step off the lift and you're reaching for your neck gaiter 'til you're back in the lee.

One disappointing run: The groomed Sorcerer, which really was just fine for a typical NE firm groomed steep, but this season has me seriously spoiled. I mean, any other day at an area with runs like that and I'd have gotten a full day in working on racing stuff, and left pretty okay with that. But, given what they had to work with and the kind of skier the place attracts, I cannot figure out why they didn't just leave it alone.

Okay, enough of the negative energy. The rest was about as good as it gets in Southern Vermont, ever. All ungroomed runs were full of soft, dry-for-the-neighborhood powder -- seemingly bottomless in spots, esp. in Talisman. Groomers were perfect for carving/teaching/newbs and ints. Stuff was piling up nicely over time, and narrow traverses like Broomstick were scrape-y and bumpy by the end of the day but that's the way it goes in NE. Oh, maybe it'd be better to say "scrape-y and bumpy and still hella fun."

Let me repeat: This is about as good as it gets in Southern Vermont, ever.

Now, I want to be clear about what "powder" means here, exactly. Most ski areas would apply the term to any precipitation dryer than an Orange Slurpee and with grains smaller than an ice cube. But today was as close to the real deal as it gets in the neighborhood. Walked out of the club lodge in Weston VT in the a.m. to about 6-7" in the driveway that blew away when you lifted your foot. Obvious distinct flakes that sparkled when the sun hit them. I think the fact that temps dropped over the previous day's/overnight's storm and stayed down after was a big factor. So yeah, obviously this is still Southern VT and there was some moisture content but it didn't keep the snow from staying fluffy and loose. As stated above, there were plenty of spots where it was seemingly bottomless -- stick a pole in and it keeps going until your 41-year-old body says "no more bending over." And this is snow that ranged from brand-new to several days old, so in other words it wasn't packing down anywhere near to the extent things tend to around here. You could pretty much ski through any reasonable pile, if that's what you're into, with no fear of anything more than the slightest resistance at your tips.

Anyway, this wasn't the waist-deep talcum of Utah or anything, but it was damn fine. Real license-to-be-a-complete-idiot conditions -- not "fall and you die" but "fall and you land softly laughing hysterically." Philpug's comment of 12/31 applies for my experience of 1/2 as well: "Today was one of those days that I will remember as long as I will be skiing."

The down side to all the awesomeness is that it wasn't apparent that there was any non-natural or firm base to speak of on the blacks and doubles. I don't know how much difficult weather these runs will take before degrading to difficult or even non-skiable. As long as this weather holds up we're golden, but right now it looks like it's going to be unseasonably warm starting Sunday so get there as soon as you can.

I am not going to go into deep detail on individual runs right now because I've already said enough. Ungroomed everywhere was CFOFA (look it up.) Ran these most of the day. Wizard groomed, nice, just a couple scrapes/firms/dirts on steeper parts. Greens and blues were, when groomed, perfect green and blue and great for teaching. Maybe a couple firm spots but all good for developing skills (didn't spend much time on these, honestly.) Witch looked kinda bumped up. Didn't see Red line. Didn't run either one. Ran rest of ungroomed trails and they had piles more than actual bumps, except in the rare tight spot. Didn't look in the woods. Couple scrapedowns/firms/dirt on steeper parts of groomers but far from what's usual in NE.

I totally totally bummed myself out by forgetting why in the old days we used to get up before dawn to make sure we got first chair. Low-speed lift + 1700' vert means LOOOONG ride to the top. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but Mr. Lazy Bones here has gotten real used to rolling in at 10-10:30 (today's ticket was stamped @ 10:43) and still running enough laps that he's done and out of the lot by 3:00. This will not happen at Magic -- I quit @ 3:20, but only because I had to get back to Westport CT to work @ 8pm. Otherwise, I'd have been up there 'til they kicked me off. Yes, I was getting a bit tired but I had at least two more runs in me -- two runs I really wanted to do on Talisman or Black Line or Heart of Magician. And if I'd been there @ first spin, I'd have had time for maybe another catch-up break and therefore even more runs.

Two other things about slow lifts that I'd forgotten -- not necessarily bad but different. First, I think you get more of a rest on the ride and therefore if you're the kind of skier who normally takes a run or two to really get warmed up and find your legs (e.g., me) it might be more like three or four runs here. The other difference -- longer rides means more cool-down time means more heat management tasks. Found myself zipping and unzipping, venting and unventing, taking off and putting on stuff all the way up the hill. On a faster lift prolly would've just sucked it up and powered through it.

Coverage/safety/operations: Uh, hello -- massive dump -- duh. Seriously, it was readily apparent that some of the runs, Lower Magician especially, were opened on this weekend's snow. Most other resorts, Plattekill and MRG excepted, probably would've left 'em closed, with the sticks poking out through the base and whatnot. And at the top of that run I was glad I'd brought my rock skis. But really appearances were deceiving and there was nothing but snow underfoot. In general, the only places I hit bottom and felt it were on small ledges hidden under the fresh snow on Black Line, and at a stream crossing on Heart. I assume under typical conditions they'd be more exposed and obvious. A very few sneaky snags -- that stream on Heart, a couple big deep holes on Broomstick and one other run (damned if I can remember which one,) but really nothing out of control for the kind of expert skier Magic seems to attract and all were easy to get around.

Yes, I am cutting Magic some slack because it is Magic and also because of the hugely improved vibe over last year (more on that below.) But there are some picky details that I'd probably be more upset about at other places, e.g. signage. Magic has revised some trail ratings this season; however not all the trail signs are in agreement with the map. One reason Sorcerer was a disappointment is it's still marked as a double-black on the trail sign -- yes, it looked mowed down from the top but "Surely," I thought, "it couldn't be that way all the way down..." Well, yeah, actually it kinda could. Really, this is the kind of problem about 2 minutes with a can of paint or handsaw can solve. The same applied at a couple other spots but I didn't take notes good enough to remember where exactly. And Lower Magician, though green on the map, thanks to the lack of grooming was anything but (I'd say an upper blue, probably.) Not sure if the only green access to this run, from Hocus Pocus, was open but if it was, I hope they posted a temporary "more difficult" sign at the entrance given the conditions.

And there are other little things that maybe might be more difficult to solve but could improve the experience. Not a big deal, really, but the small, mostly skateable for advanced skiers, traverse uphill from the Black Chair to the Magician/Wizard area was getting to be a drag by the end of the day. This problem will not go away with the Red Chair running as the steepest part uphill is after the Wizard junction. I'm not an expert on earth moving (or on VT paperwork) but if that could be solved with a bulldozer rental I say go for it.

And this all leads up to the core problem of critiquing Magic: I'm conflicted pointing these things out because on the one hand I don't mind hiking or sacrificing a bit for awesomeness and maybe a less-than-user-friendly reputation keeps the crowds down. Don't mind? -- Hell, call me a masochist but actually I might love it. I loves me some Magic and I loves me some Plattekill. I loves me some MRG too, but not as much because of the huge wait for a seat. Obviously not a problem when you have a place to yourself.

On the other hand, we are all familiar with this resort's historic difficulties. In order to succeed, management needs to get more asses in seats, and the tiniest bit of pampering seems to make a big difference to the bulk of SNE skiers. Despite the mountain's reputation, there is plenty off the top that is readily doable by low intermediates and advanced beginners. And being able to ski off the top is a huge boost to these folks' egos, but they tend to be not so good at the climbing/traversing stuff -- it's awkward and tiring. So these skiers might easily see areas where some climbing work is necessary as being too much trouble for the reward. There is also a slight uphill from the Black Chair to the other side -- slight, as in, maybe not readily obvious but you can't get over it from the lift without excellent skating and gliding skills, or stepping. At least this will go away when Red gets back on line.

And if they ever get to the stage where they can afford it and get the crowds I say leave the summit lifts alone, low speed and all, and drop the cash instead on a halfway-up chair serving the network of greens and blues on skier's right (w/upper terminal somewhere near Wand/Medium intersection.) Maybe even add a midstation to one of the summit lifts so experts could run laps without the lower-mountain runout and corresponding extra lift time. But now we might be getting into pipe dream territory.

So back to the vibe -- no doubt the incredible conditions had something to do with it but everybody there -- guests and employees alike -- was cheerful and seemed happy to be there. This is a huge change from last year and the previous year's visits, when I'd have described the staff as disengaged or even surly. And I'm far from a regular so I can't go into deep detail on physical plant changes but the lodge -- restrooms included -- seemed somehow brighter, definitely cleaner. For all I know they just put in bigger light bulbs but I suspect a lot more's been done that casual visitors like me would barely notice but that all contribute to a better experience. Attention to grooming seems to have improved as well. My previous two visits left me feeling like I'd just seen a resort on its way down -- today I feel like Magic is back on its way up. I get the impression that the user-friendliness thing is on the minds of management this season too and that gives me hope. This is a huge relief, and things should only get better next year with the planned snowmaking improvement. Hopefully Marketing will be able to get the message out and Magic will see the rebound it so sorely deserves.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
George, great report. I really liked you descriptions of the trails and your likes and dislikes. I see where you are going - making it more of a "well-rounded" set of trails. The old adage that all the money is in the blues is certainly true. And also some attention to the experience of each level skier (I still remember resorts having green trails that emptied into blues , and blues into blacks, with no bailout options, those days are gone.) - so your re-classing green to blue (or perhaps grooming it to keep it"green") are helpful.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Yeah, I was at Magic myself yesterday. First time there; liked the vibe, had a fine time.

But look what happened to my new-this-year Volkl Queen Atitivas!!!!

2159712018_c0f742d54c.jpg

Ouch! The skis I was running are already beat up enough that you couldn't see new damage. Only real scrapes for me were on the small ledges on Black Line about 1/2-way up the middle section.

When in doubt, I haul out the rock skis for Magic.

George, great report. I really liked you descriptions of the trails and your likes and dislikes. I see where you are going - making it more of a "well-rounded" set of trails. The old adage that all the money is in the blues is certainly true. And also some attention to the experience of each level skier (I still remember resorts having green trails that emptied into blues , and blues into blacks, with no bailout options, those days are gone.) - so your re-classing green to blue (or perhaps grooming it to keep it"green") are helpful.
Thanks for the props!

Not sure if I got what I wanted to say across properly (or maybe you're just taking it to a logical conclusion I missed.)

I think Magic's trail ratings are fine. I know what you're saying about skier and difficulty flow and how that used to be a huge problem at some mountains but apart from this one, kind of exceptional case I didn't pick that up @ Magic. In general I think with increased awareness of liability most resorts have gotten really, really good about this, and even my example is debatable.

Specifically regarding Lower Magician, my guess is normally the trail is groomed out, and, given its shallow slope, a green rating would be appropriate. Yesterday, I imagine, was an exception, and it was pretty cool that they left Lower Magician ungroomed as it was a good funky junky conclusion to the much more difficult, *sips tea with raised pinkie finger,* delightfully ungroomed, Heart of Magician. Just saying if a newb hungry for variety saw LM on the map and hopped in off of Hocus yesterday they could be in it before they realized it was very very different from your standard green. But nobody was forced onto it from a green. So a warning sign for the day would've been good (again, maybe they had this -- I didn't see the entrance from Hocus or even know if it was open.)

And for the most part, I think the hill is already very well-rounded, and definitely much more well-rounded than it gets credit for. Whether that's new this year I don't know but there are plenty of good cruisers @ Magic that groom up nicely. Yesterday would've been a great family day, really, with top-to-bottom runs open at all skill ratings and great conditions. IMO the two tasks management needs to keep on top of on groomers are conditions (which should be easier when snowmaking expands) and letting people know that they really do have something for everyone. The mountain's reputation, thanks to years of difficult weather and operational problems, is as a hill for experts only. The fact that the most difficult trails are the most visible from the road probably doesn't help. This really does seem like a job for good marketing and probably means they should run multiple campaigns addressing hardcores and cruisers separately. Whether that's doable in their current financial state only they can tell you.

Talisman

Yeah, I was at Magic myself yesterday. First time there; liked the vibe, had a fine time.

But look what happened to my new-this-year Volkl Queen Atitivas!!!!

2159712018_c0f742d54c.jpg

That is one dilly of a core shot you have there lady. Did any of the edge blow out or crack as a result of this damage? If the edge is intact that damage is repairable.

As others have said Magic is best skied on rock skis or skis borrowed from a friend.

sledhaulingmedic

As long as this weather holds up we're golden, but right now it looks like it's going to be unseasonably warm starting Sunday so get there as soon as you can.

Great idea!

Coverage/safety/operations: Uh, hello -- massive dump -- duh. Seriously, it was readily apparent that some of the runs, Lower Magician especially, were opened on this weekend's snow. Most other resorts, Plattekill and MRG excepted, probably would've left 'em closed, with the sticks poking out through the base and whatnot. And at the top of that run I was glad I'd brought my rock skis. But really appearances were deceiving and there was nothing but snow underfoot. In general, the only places I hit bottom and felt it were on small ledges hidden under the fresh snow on Black Line, and at a stream crossing on Heart. I assume under typical conditions they'd be more exposed and obvious. A very few sneaky snags -- that stream on Heart, a couple big deep holes on Broomstick and one other run (damned if I can remember which one,) but really nothing out of control for the kind of expert skier Magic seems to attract and all were easy to get around.

Well, Magic is a primarily natural snow area. Yes, they are making progress, but, for now, this is what you need to expect.

And there are other little things that maybe might be more difficult to solve but could improve the experience. Not a big deal, really, but the small, mostly skateable for advanced skiers, traverse uphill from the Black Chair to the Magician/Wizard area was getting to be a drag by the end of the day. This problem will not go away with the Red Chair running as the steepest part uphill is after the Wizard junction. I'm not an expert on earth moving (or on VT paperwork) but if that could be solved with a bulldozer rental I say go for it.

Not going to happen. That's all ledge in there (hense all the rocks on Master...debris left over from when the ledge was blasted to extend the traverse to create Wizard past Master. The Red Chair has been the main lift for a long time and this is the reason. You just need to carry some speed on the top of Wizard and it's only a couple of skate steps to clear the hump. (Trust me, I've done it many times, even pulling a sled.)

On the other hand, we are all familiar with this resort's historic difficulties. In order to succeed, management needs to get more asses in seats, and the tiniest bit of pampering seems to make a big difference to the bulk of SNE skiers.

You're right about that and along with that, there have been many even more basic issues that have been overlooked. There was, however, some progress made in that department recently and it looks like having a new (as of last week), skis-every-single-day type of general manager will likely make some a noticeable differences.

Sounds like you had a great visit and I hope many are able to get there to enjoy it this weekend (I'll be at work). I'll have to get some of this work and real estate nonsense behind me so I can get over and enjoy my old stompin' ground a little.

skiboarder

Awesome report! Very informative. I have had some great days at Magic, and your report makes me want to check out Plattekill.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Great idea!
Well, Magic is a primarily natural snow area. Yes, they are making progress, but, for now, this is what you need to expect.

Ya know Sled, you bring up and interesting point. Back in the 70's and earlier, before the snow making boom, it was not only common, it was expected that you'd find rocks, grass, water, glare ice, etc. on ski trails. It wasn't until the 80's in the east, that it became expected that trails were covered wall-to-wall with snow. We would always come down with base damage. The resorts would address major life-threatening hazards like big stumps, or large protruding rocks, by roping them off.

I'll never forget my beginner years, when on a green trail, I could make it down and say that I navigated the glare ice successfully. It made me a much better skier, learning how to survive treacherous stuff early. In many ways, many people want to be coddled for all the money they are paying.

Certainly with queer weather patterns we have another reason to make snow, but even setting that aside, there became an expectation on the part of both skier and resort that trails must be completely covered. In the 70's I never recall people complaining to management that they went over a rock. In fact we usually just bragged about it to our buds later.

Of course back then the modus-operandi seemed to be "you get what you get", and that included green trails feeding into blues, and the possibility of running out of snow on a trail and having to walk (while still paying for the lift ticket).

Last edited:
At the risk of making a huger deal out of this than I'd intended (probably too late for that, really,) I think common knowledge might be an obstacle to Magic's future success unless they deal with it.

I agree with sled up to a point and I'm not even that well-informed; everybody knows Magic is a natural snow area and that's why about 17 of us go there. Unfortunately, the other 9 gazillion skiers out there know it too and it keeps them away. Obviously, unless you are a non-profit or private club this is likely not the best situation.

And, to top it off, it's looking like what everybody "knows" about Magic is becoming incorrect anyway. Magic seems to be taking a renewed interest in grooming cruisers and appealing to a wider range of skiers. Based on what I saw this week, if they can keep it up they will be one of the most well-rounded resorts out there, especially for their size. But most recreational skiers, who as billski points out, are resorts' bread and butter, expect a relatively low-impact experience and even if they feel adventuresome and think they might like going off the res -- No, even if they DO like poking around in junk -- statistically they didn't grow up skiing at the same kind of places you guys (billski and sled) and I did.

I think if you ease people into the idea of junk and retool their expectations gently you can build a new crop of riders who live for the ungroomed steeps, and thus develop a new generation of Magic clients. Again, this comes down really to marketing IMO -- Magic, with its variety, might be one of the best locations for developing off-groomer skills. Maybe there is an opportunity here to establish a kind of off-piste academy for people sick of the red carpet terrain offered elsewhere but who feel uncomfortable going in there. But even then, Magic will have to work harder to retool peoples' expectations -- that is, what the skiing public "knows" about the place -- because based my experience this week I'm not sure it's the complete picture.

Last edited:

millerm277

At the risk of making a huger deal out of this than I'd intended (probably too late for that, really,) the problem with Magic is everybody knows Magic is a natural snow area and that's why about 17 of us go there. Why is this a problem? Well, the other 9 gazillion people skiing know it too and stay away. Obviously, unless you are a non-profit or private club this is no way to run a railroad.

Well, actually...the 9 gazillion other people skiing don't even know Magic exists. Also, they finally got the snowmaking started and running.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Opp - the real Magic challenge is that the bread and butter have an easy choice,right down the road- Bromley which many, many people are extremely happy with (I enjoy it too.) And the higher-end crowd is further down the road at Stratton.

The proximity and relationship of Magic to Bromley reminds me of the MRG and Sugarbush proximity. I'm not sure if MRG was a for-profit enterprise that it would survive that competition. Certainly Magic has to do something different to become profitable. Getting them snowmaking is probably the right first step, perhaps, but then they will be at par with Bromley from a bread and butter customer situation? Probably not. Magic has considerably more challenging terrain.

(It's interesting to see how MRG is trying to shake it's experts-only stereotype, by promoting it's groomers.)

No easy answers here. I'm sure the Magic investors are thinking a lot harder about this me.

I only hope that the AZ vibes will translate into some amount of positive visibility for Magic.

Hell yeah. I love Magic and really want to see the place make enough where the days of cutting corners never have to come back. (I love Bromley too.)

You're right about the investors thinking about this for real. The internet is for bluster and smoke-blowing and I'm doing my part. Maybe a good idea or two can come out of these posts, maybe not, but it's fun to have a place to throw this stuff out there.

As for MRG -- my guess is that we probably have a shareholder here who could tell us if it's technically profitable, but that might not be enough to tell whether it is profitable enough to survive as a business. Two big questions are whether MRG as it's currently run would clear a reasonable hurdle rate, including taking into account cost of capital if improvements such as the new Single had to be funded in the capital markets, and cost of additional labor (does the coop supply any labor to the mountain on a volunteer basis? I don't know.) I suspect even though the coop says they're profitable, if you look at the numbers it would be a tight squeeze as an investment (which is the way it should be -- you don't want to, maybe even can't legally, run a coop for profit without paying dividends.)

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hell yeah. I love Magic and really want to see the place make enough where the days of cutting corners are behind them.

And my guess is that we probably have a shareholder here who could tell us if MRG is technically profitable, but that might not be enough to tell whether it is profitable enough to survive as a business. Two big questions are whether MRG as it's currently run would clear a reasonable hurdle rate, including taking into account cost of capital if improvements such as the new Single had to be funded in the capital markets, and cost of additional labor (does the coop supply any labor to the mountain on a volunteer basis? I don't know.) I suspect even though the coop says they're profitable, if you look at the numbers it would be a tight squeeze as an investment (which is the way it should be -- you don't want to, maybe even can't legally, run a coop for profit without paying dividends.)

Everything I know about MRG suggests to me that all shareholder are either passionate about skiing or passionate about MRG. Their return on investment is the skiing, unlike a pure investor who is looking for cash returns. Look at their capital campaign for the single chair. It reminded me of a church building fund campaign, where it's a donation not an investment. I suspect it is generally a break-even operation, with marginal money squirreled away for rainy day events. At some point after the investments and upgrades, the investors at Magic are looking for a profit which is different from MRG.

madskier6

As far as MRG goes, they won't last long if they consistently lose money every year. Yes, their primary motivation is not to make a profit for the owners but if they don't make a profit in some years for future capital improvements, they'll go under eventually. I don't think the shareholders are subject to mandatory capital calls if the place runs out of money.

They can get away with charging less for lift tickets & the like because they don't have the pressure from shareholders to make a profit. But they damn well better make some money or they won't survive.

As far as MRG goes, they won't last long if they consistently lose money every year. Yes, their primary motivation is not to make a profit for the owners but if they don't make a profit in some years for future capital improvements, they'll go under eventually. I don't think the shareholders are subject to mandatory capital calls if the place runs out of money.

They can get away with charging less for lift tickets & the like because they don't have the pressure from shareholders to make a profit. But they damn well better make some money or they won't survive.

This is what I was talking about as far as it being an apples-to-oranges comparison. A business that makes enough cash to squirrel away reserves is not technically profitable, merely breaking even. If you don't clear depreciation you're sunk. And you need to put away even more (or get money elsewhere) if you have expansion plans.

On top of that, a business needs to make a certain return -- a hurdle rate -- on top of that commensurate with the amount of risk involved in the enterprise -- I'm just making this number up but say annually 15-20% of owner investment for a ski area -- or investors will put their money elsewhere. One advantage a business has over a coop is that the business can borrow from banks or issue bonds to raise capital that costs them less than the hurdle rate and this lowers their required overall return on investment, but even then they still need to clear that hurdle after you pay the lenders or again the investors will walk.

Look at Killington -- according to what I know (which is from the internet so it's probably wrong but anyway...) they were turning an operational profit. But they weren't earning enough to fund their debt (one source of capital) much less pay their investors (the other source.)

(Which, of course is why it makes perfect sense for MRG to run as a coop -- they don't have to worry about turning an accounting profit, much less an economic one. And being a coop means they have other low-or-no-cost sources of capital available to them that businesses don't (e.g., funding campaigns.))