• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic - 1/2/2008

frozencorn

So, are we talking the need for rock skis tomorrow or no need?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
(Which, of course is why it makes perfect sense for MRG to run as a coop -- they don't have to worry about turning an accounting profit, much less an economic one. And being a coop means they have other low-or-no-cost sources of capital available to them that businesses don't (e.g., funding campaigns.))

Back to my point. I didn't want to debate co-ops. From a market and competition point of view, the question is, if MRG was a for-profit enterprise, would/could it survive being right down the street from Sugarbush. (Of course, everything we have to compare to is apples to oranges. ) In the Tahoe area, there are, I believe 6 resorts all within 30 minutes of each other. The reason that most of them prosper is because of the sheer volume of skiers that sojurns from silicon valley each weekend (check out the highway system into the Sierras).
In this case, I don't know if we have enough market demand to sustain another volume resort. Perhaps carving out a niche (which is what MRG does) will be necessary, rather than becoming plain vanilla large. Don't know, just speculating...

Interesting stats. There are approximately 5 million skiers in the US out of a population of 300m. There were 55m skier-visits last year, which would be about 5.5 visits per skier. It's not growing, so you have to steal from someone else to get your volume up.

Last edited:
Back to my point. I didn't want to debate co-ops. From a market and competition point of view, the question is, if MRG was a for-profit enterprise, would/could it survive being right down the street from Sugarbush.

My guess, totally pulled out of my ass, is the answer is "no." Keep in mind I'm a trained financial analyst and countless studies have shown dart-throwing monkeys to have a better track record than my profession.

BTW, I didn't want to debate co-ops either; I threw that last comment about "perfect sense" in the hopes of short-circuiting debate about whether corporations or coops are completely evil (It's been my experience true believers in either argument do a great job of killing a party.) Maybe that was a bit premature. Regardless, I hope you didn't take it personally because that was the last thing I intended.

Anyway, all I care about is that there is a way to make MRG work (the coop structure) and that makes it available to all of us; so let's get our noses out of our HP-12Cs and go make some turns.

Bring the rock skis if you are skiing the diamonds at Magic or borrow some skis from OppositeGeorge.

Too late I just saw this -- I had a real set of beaters in the car and I was just across the street @ Bromley (not that they would've done much good this w/e anyway... :() Always wanted to see just how deep the base is on K2 Mod-X's...

Oh, and for future reference, check out bman's excellent pictures from the same day. Remember, this is, in his words, "best cover I've ever seen there." That should pretty much put the rock ski question to rest. :)

frozencorn

Too late I just saw this -- I had a real set of beaters in the car and I was just across the street @ Bromley (not that they would've done much good this w/e anyway... :() Always wanted to see just how deep the base is on K2 Mod-X's...

Oh, and for future reference, check out bman's excellent pictures from the same day. Remember, this is, in his words, "best cover I've ever seen there." That should pretty much put the rock ski question to rest. :)

Brought 'em didn't use em. Took it a bit slow on Black Line at the rock area, but beyond that, had no real issues. Twilight Zone was sick. Black Line under the chair, deep powder. Awesome day Saturday, tainted a bit by the lift closure. But, whatever. Free day for me anyhow with the CHAD card purchase. Definitely be back there after a dump.