• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic - 3/6/10

ta&idaho

Date(s) Skied: Saturday, March 6, 2010

Resort or Ski Area: Magic Mountain, Vermont

Conditions: Spring skiing at its best

Trip Report:

Made our first trip to Magic on Saturday -- thanks to everyone for the advice and encouraging me to check it out. Awesome mountain, some of the most interesting terrain I've ever skied, and a great chill vibe.

Things started off a little firm, but the brilliant blue skies and bright sun softened things up by mid-morning. Skied a little bit of everything, with my wife enjoying some of the cruisers (she loved Wizard and most of the West side), while I sampled the full range of narrow, bumped up options.

Enjoyed meeting 4aprice, Rusty Groomer, and crew. Thanks for the warm hospitality. Rusty Groomer led a group of us through a gulley of nicely cleared trees:

hallows.jpg

Redline and blackline are some pretty sweet liftlines:

Red:
redline_sun.jpg

Black:
black.jpg

Goniff Glade was also a blast:
goniff_glade.jpg

But the nomination for the funkiest, most interesting trail in Southern Vermont goes to Magician. Burly bumps up top, funky double fall line in the middle, mellow bail out at the bottom. Awesome run top-to-bottom.
magician.jpg

Great day at an awesome mountain. Only gripe was that the line was pretty long most of the day. I guess that means things are going well. We'll be back!

polski

Website
twitter.com
Funny, my 9-year-old mentioned the double fall line when we got to that part of Magician last week. Glad you enjoyed and to see it all holding up so well - and while of course we'd rather not have to endure long lift lines, I'm really happy to see crowds there.

On that note, I saw in the vid Rusty Groomer posted last week that skier visits already had surpassed last year's total. From the perspective of marketing shares, I think it's critically important to show continued growth in skier visits, and it sounds like there will be a big spike this year. Smart use of social media by Magic and its aficionados sure hasn't hurt ;-) but once you get there, the mountain (and vibe) really sells itself, doesn't it? A true gem.

4aprice

Hey Ta:

Nice meeting you and your wife as well. Saturday was steller. Magic is such a gem. Gotta keep it alive. It fits so well in that category with Plattekill and Mad River. Looks like you hit the top of Black Line which is one trail I didn't get to. (Gotta to leave something for a return visit). Hit Stratton Sunday and taught my 13 year son the meaning of the word juxtaposition. Stratton was in great condition as well and surprisingly not overrun. From your pics and the view I had from Stratton (and Magic Sat) Bromley looked awesome. Wish I could have spent another day up there and hit it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jrmagic

I'm glad you guys all came and had a great time. Magic was skiing fantastic this weekend. As the sun warmed things up there were alrge soft spring bumps all over the West side of the mountain. Slide of Hans in particular had some HUDGE bumps with nice lines in them for you bump fans. Upper Magician and Black magic are still skiing very very well. The kids had a blast all weekend ripping it up. We Did a Chinese downhil at the end of the day on Saturday from jsut under the ledges on Black line with 5 adults and 5 kids. we were laughing our azzes off all the way to the finish. I can't wait for next weekend.

ta&idaho

The kids had a blast all weekend ripping it up. We Did a Chinese downhil at the end of the day on Saturday from jsut under the ledges on Black line with 5 adults and 5 kids. we were laughing our azzes off all the way to the finish.

Another observation about both Magic and Bromley (and old-school mountains in general): the kids can RIP! I saw some little kids (waist-high at the most) rockin' it down both Redline and Upper Magician. Good job on the parenting...

RustyGroomer

Nice meeting you, glad you had a good day. Come back & bring friends. :beer:

Liftlines are good thing @ Magic right now.

RustyGroomer

Great shot of Matt on Magician i just had emailed to me. It was great to see him get out & tear it up as he's been working extremely hard this year. Thanks Matt!

matt.jpg