• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maiden BC voyage

Andrew Caffrey

be kind--i'm older than (most) of you and not in fighting condition
i targeted a small-to-mid size mountain not too far out in order to be able to take my measure, without getting too stupid..
it was 11 degrees when I left boston. an hour and change later i espied the target:
(click on pics to enlarge)

View attachment 3186

booted up outside the gate and followed the access to the top:

View attachment 3187

after hanging around like a tourist for a while, i shoved off and followed a single track through the trees to a narrow inside trail I had spied from the road. a week since the snow, but the cold kept the stuff very light and powdery.

View attachment 3189

stopping after a few sweet turns, i noticed sunlight poking through in places in the grove hidden behind a fringe of trees and saplings that served as one wall to the trail. clamboring hither and yon, I broke through the underbrush to discover this:

View attachment 3188

woo woo. i could get to liking this stuff.
since I was genuinely treating this as a shakedown cruise, I didn't expect to do any kind of real skiing, or even to find decent conditions. so that was a real bonus. I've since plotted bigger, longer and steeper inside lines on the hill, and hope to revisit soon--this time with company--to do a real exploration if conditions like this persist.
and i did learn a lot--mostly about the extent of my poor conditioning--too little running, too much eating and a serious bout of cigar smoking will do that to you.
i also realized that I probably have to get real touring boots much sooner than i had budgeted for. them alpine boots is heavy.
so for all you guys who've posted TR of legit BC forays, I thank you... and with enough hard conditioning in the coming weeks even hope to see you out there!
a.c.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nice Report Andrew. And a belated "Welcome!" Any tracks are better than no tracks. You know it's a very different experience from skiing with 1,000 of your closest friends. You picked a nice sunny day with good snow conditions. It really doesn't matter how far, how big, how long you go. I recognized years ago if you put 50 skiers on the hill, you'll find 50 different agendas.
Looking forward to more of your "stash" reports. Enjoy!

kingdom-tele

theres nothing more magical then just popping into a beautiful stand of trees with a fresh blanket of snow, congrats on making the leap to earned turns

Andrew Caffrey

thanks for the encouraging response. I know a little more than I let on, but I felt it important to approach this as much as an amateur, more to keep me honest than anything else. no stranger to mild OB and some slackcountry, and skiing, to my definition, is fir and aspen-filled slopes of the rockies.
i started scouting lines at the end of last season, but a combo of intense developments in both personal and professional life means i have little money or time this season to get out. earning turns suits the pocketbook as much as the mind, but now I've got to make up for several slack months of conditioning, too.
looking ahead my big plan is to spend much of the summer and fall camping and exploring selected areas of the whites and southern greens--some of which you guys may already ski--and be ready to hit it big next yr. not ideal in the instant gratification dept, but it is what it is, and it's good to have a plan to look forward to.

in fishing, we say, "tight lines." seems appropriate here, too.

wa-loaf

Didn't Watatic have a ski area on it at one time? Must be some good lines up there.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
The birches on looker's left of this pis look pretty good from here....did you get into them...
attachment.php

Andrew Caffrey

cool, this is going somewhere.
JD, this is a slightly larger shot of the glades from lookers left. they would be on the far side of the access road but shouldn't be hard to come out of. from the summit there is a saddle between the south peak that looked delicicious as a drop in point, but as I was alone ....
the upper bits look steep and ledgy so it'd need more snow that i hit inside the woods.

View attachment 3191

meanwhile, another view of the inside glade, this looking down.. click to enlarge for full effect
View attachment 3192

we need a BC only forum!

JD

Website
hotmail.com
The trees in the first pic look nice....both the upper section and the lower angle, lower section. What do you think the total vert of the descent was?