• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Middle Aged Beginners

Bergamo

I have done some xc skiing, and if my health keeps up I think I would like to learn to downhill ski...something to do in my future (not too far away) retirement. Anyone start late in life and have any advice? Thanx.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I have done some xc skiing, and if my health keeps up I think I would like to learn to downhill ski...something to do in my future (not too far away) retirement. Anyone start late in life and have any advice? Thanx.

Put a lot of padding on and expect to be sore the next day ;)
Please, don't be afraid to fall. Learn the best way to fall and practice it. The two most important and useful skills I learned FIRST were a) how to fall and b) how to stop.

Many people are really held back by fear of falling. They spend all their time preventing falls and don't concentrate on the basic skills which help them advance.

A couple other points.

- NEVER let friends or family teach you how to ski
- If you can afford it, take a private lesson. Often times, you will learn as much as 3x of a group lesson. In groups, you often spend 55 out of 60 minutes standing around, getting cold watching other people fall.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Never too late to start. My parents were 38 when they went for the first time and became solid advanced intermediate skiers after about five years. They took several lessons the first year, were patient and made sure they had proper equipment.

noski

I learned to ski after age 40. Dress properly (don't overdress, but wear smart layers), and indeed, your quads will feel it. Take your time and take the lessons offered, whether its group lessons or private. I worked on it over 2 winters and decided it wasn't for me, even though I zipped right out of the beginner lesson and was on intermediate trails very quickly- but I have great respect for the sport and its participants.

subdude

. Also, take the lesson as early in the season as you can Dec would be the best time to do this so you'll have the rest of the season to practice and take more lessons if needed. I've seen beginners take lessons in late March early April the resort will gladly take your money but everything you learn you will have more than likely forgotten the following season. Think positive and approach the lesson with a smile and you'll do fine. Attitude has a lot to do with learning something new.

Moe Ghoul

All good suggestions. Consider learning midweek in the mornings, that gives you time to practice without concern about getting run over and lets you practice getting on/off the lifts. Prices are better as well, and a lot of times they offer a day package for rental, lift tix and a lesson. By all means, check conditions. If it's hard and icy, you might want to hold off until things soften up for the first few times you try it out. I know a few first timers that went out on a hard surface, freaked, fell and called it a day. Basically, stack the deck in your favor to optimize the first few times you try downhill.

hammer

Lots of good tips so far, here are a few others I've learned from personal experience (started in late 30s):
  • Aside from clothing, once you get some time on the slopes, the most important first equipment purchase is boots...don't be too stingy on these, and make sure you take the time to have them fitted properly. Poorly-fitted boots will hold you back.
  • Group lessons are fine (and recommended) once you get beyond the beginner stage...many people don't bother with lessons once they are lower intermediates so a group lesson becomes a semi-private or private.

4aprice

As a Cross Country skier you will have many advantages over the average beginner. You already know the sensation of sliding on the snow and probably the snow plow as well. Having taught skiing in the past, your best bet is to take lessons from the pro's. As I love to tell anyone who will listen it's a sport and should be treated as such. Most importantly have fun. If you enjoy it, it will become a life style.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Warp Daddy

XC skied for 20 year BEFORE i Took up Downhill @ 52 years of age --- had few problems since had webeen doing XC on competitive trails Olympic trails and some Colle race courses with plenty of downhill runs. Initial problem was Speed /balance issues

You will find turning WAY easier -- and youtr snowplowing technique will help at first but once you get past stem turns -- Speed may be a differance that you'll need to get used to.

however once u get over the MENTAL aspects of that and get thru linked parallel turns U WILL LUV IT !!! Trust me - it beats hell outta XC and i luved XC

RISkier

I started at 49. Never, ever, never thought I'd start skiing. Since you cross country I think you'll have a real leg up. A few thoughts: Take a lesson PACKAGE. We did a three day package of lessons, lift tickets, and rentals at Gunstock. It was a great deal. I'd have gladly quit after day 1 and never returned. Give it some time and be patient with yourself. Since you're already a cross country skier, sliding sports will not be quite so foreign to you as it was for me. It all gets easier fast. Skiing has become the focal point of most of our vacations. Quit if you get tired. Enjoy the scenery and have fun.

ts01

1 - If you know how to ice skate, get to the rink every fall weekend and build up your leg strength, balance, and edging skills. All very transferable to downhill skiing. Roller blading is good too but not as good as ice skating.

2 - Also give tele skiing a try.

I've skated my whole life, and XC'd in my teens and twenties. Skated and biked a lot in my 30's and took up downhill skiing in my early 40's at a time I was at the rink regularly. Instant downhill skiing ability on shaped skis. After several years on downhill at a point where I can reasonably claim to have high level skills, I tried tele skiing and love it. It is a perfect amalgam of XC and downhill - and you probably could jump right into it in the first place.

BTW, if you go the tele route, try one of the clinics offered at various eastern ski resorts by by the North American Telemark Organization -- http://www.telemarknato.com/schedule.html . I did one last year and saw them teach several tele noobs with XC backgrounds.

kingslug

Buy good equipment. The whole " I'll buy good stuff when I'm good" is not the way to go. Take lessons, expect to fall a lot. Just stick with it and one day it will all come together.

Geoff

Lessons. It's the only way to go. Midweek during the day, you can usually pay for an inexpensive group lesson and end up with private lessons. Sunday afternoons at the destination resorts are another time that often happens. Ski instructors are paid doodly squat so tip them appropriately.

Get a season pass at the local hill and get out there frequently. If you ski 2 or 3 days per week, most peoploe progress very rapidly.

You probably want to start with used beginner skis since you'll out-grow them quickly. You really don't want to be on rental ski boots. Where exactly in Mass do you live? Many of the flatland ski shops do not have particularly well trained boot fitters and it's easy to end up in a boot that's a full size too big. You end up having to over-tighten it to keep your feet from slopping around and that causes foot pain.

o3jeff

What is the rule on tipping instructors? I almost took a lesson last year at Sugarbush, but ended up just skiing, but was wondering what a good tip is.

skier90

Wildcat First Tracks Pass Program - Learn to Ski or Snowboard... (ages 6+)
Complete 4 learn-to-ski or snowboard lessons (including equipment and lift tickets) and you'll get a Wildcat Season Pass for the rest of the season FREE!

"Learn-to" lessons are 2 hours each and include lift ticket and rental equipment. You MUST complete 4 full "Learn-to" lessons in order to receive your First Tracks Season Pass.

Only $199

http://www.skiwildcat.com/firsttimers.html

Skiing is a fun sport, the best way to advance is to learn to fall. Once you do that and if you can avoid that fear you will enjoy the sport more and advance much more rapidly. Fall early and often to get used to it, makes life much easir later on.

What is the rule on tipping instructors? I almost took a lesson last year at Sugarbush, but ended up just skiing, but was wondering what a good tip is.

I've heard $20 for a short lesson and $50+ for an all day..most people don't tip instructors so tips are always appreciated..

Angus

For someone who essentially took a downhill hiatus for a good part of their 20's and 30's and started back in their early 40's - I'd recommend 1) get/be in shape & 2) try to gain an understanding of the mechanics/physics of skiing. I've found you need to be more technically correct now than I did when I was younger and in good shape.

subdude

Lessons. It's the only way to go. Midweek during the day, you can usually pay for an inexpensive group lesson and end up with private lessons. Sunday afternoons at the destination resorts are another time that often happens. Ski instructors are paid doodly squat so tip them appropriately.

Get a season pass at the local hill and get out there frequently. If you ski 2 or 3 days per week, most peoploe progress very rapidly.

You probably want to start with used beginner skis since you'll out-grow them quickly. You really don't want to be on rental ski boots. Where exactly in Mass do you live? Many of the flatland ski shops do not have particularly well trained boot fitters and it's easy to end up in a boot that's a full size too big. You end up having to over-tighten it to keep your feet from slopping around and that causes foot pain.

Go to Strands Ski Shop in Worcester the best boot fitters in the State and one of the top 10 in New England.