• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most over and underrated ski resort in NE?

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Having said that, I hate what they did to the mountain of my youth. If you are a tourist, yes, it can be a fabulous place to spend a week, but being part of that madness every ski week-end is of no interest to me.

I'm the last person to defend big corporate ski areas, however Intrawest has done some good things to the mountain (not talking village) since they bought 20 years ago). The Old Tremblant lacked even more expert terrain and glades. There wasn't any top-to-bottom lifts (it happened just before IW came in the picture). A lot of lost of the old Tremblant, but some changes were good.

fbrissette

I'm the last person to defend big corporate ski areas, however Intrawest has done some good things to the mountain (not talking village) since they bought 20 years ago). The Old Tremblant lacked even more expert terrain and glades. There wasn't any top-to-bottom lifts (it happened just before IW came in the picture). A lot of lost of the old Tremblant, but some changes were good.

It all depends on your perspective. What you say is correct. From my point of view however, the best way to ruin my skiing experience is to put to many people on the hill at the same time. They committed the cardinal sin of putting way too many high speed lifts all over the mountain. It minimizes lift lines, but new snow gets tracked in record time, the ice appears in record time, and collectors are crazy crowded. The south side is an absolute zoo near the lifts. All of that for 90$ a day. No thanks.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
It all depends on your perspective. What you say is correct. From my point of view however, the best way to ruin my skiing experience is to put to many people on the hill at the same time. They committed the cardinal sin of putting way too many high speed lifts all over the mountain. It minimizes lift lines, but new snow gets tracked in record time, the ice appears in record time, and collectors are crazy crowded. The south side is an absolute zoo near the lifts. All of that for 90$ a day. No thanks.

I agree...I said all wasn't perfect. The ski trail design (or redesign, widen, blasted) became traffic flow priorities and not fun runs.

Example of a redesigned run for traffic flow...Grand Prix.

The good things: adding steep double diamond runs like Vertige, ZigZag, Dynamique.

Looking for slope with more long fall line skiing : Versant Soleil.

Tremblant was my main mountain and I had a season pass as a kid in the late 1970s. Mom's is from the area, her dad groomed the runs with showshoes back in the 1940s. My dad was a ski instructor in the region for Gray Rocks, Villa Bellevue and Tremblant...so Tremblay is my roots. That being said, I haven't skied since March 2010. You'll see my correct perspective on the place on that TR. It is somewhat emotional due to the circumstances of what would happen that day.

I agree on what was lost. Many places have lost part of their soul and mystic that the mountain carried with their "improvement" (sic), Tremblant is definitely one of them.

Highway Star

Killington, overrated? You guys suck.

SATURDAY OCTOBER 13, 2012

KILLINGTON SEASON PASS APPRECIATION EVENT
Exclusive to Killington Season Pass and Express Card holders, we will be running two lifts and one trail for Saturday October 13, 2012. Killington Express Card holders will be charged $25 for use of the Express Card. No day tickets will be sold.

If conditions permit, this event will extend into Sunday, October 14, 2012. Operating hours for Sunday will be determined by Saturday evening.

The K-1 Express Gondola and the North Ride Triple Chair will operate from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Skiers and riders will use the Peak Walkway to access the one open trail, Rime.

Rime will be open with advanced terrain only and early season conditions exist. Terrain will not be groomed. Snowmaking will be in progress as temperatures permit. Walking, removing equipment and downloading are all required. There will be no terrain park features.

The K-1 Lodge will be open for guest services and restrooms. The Roaring Brook Umbrella Bars will be open with light fare and drinks.

steamboat1

Then you must be losing your mind.....Smuggs is in Jeffersonville. And if you are talking about the mountain, it's Madonna not Maddona

Excuse the misspelling, didn't think I was in a spelling bee. I'll be more careful next time (not). If you knew anything you'd know the ski area was named Madonna (Maddona for those with spelling problems) long before it became known as Smugglers Notch. Jeffersonville is north of Stowe no matter what you call it. Such a winer, don't get your tidy whiteys all in a bunch.

MadMadWorld

Excuse the misspelling, didn't think I was in a spelling bee. I'll be more careful next time (not). If you knew anything you'd know the ski area was named Madonna (Maddona for those with spelling problems) long before it became known as Smugglers Notch. Jeffersonville is north of Stowe no matter what you call it. Such a winer, don't get your tidy whiteys all in a bunch.

Hey old man Rivers, sit down or I'll break your hip!

skiNEwhere

"Alright folks, nothing to see here, lets move along" in my best impression of Officer Barbrady

BenedictGomez

overrated: killington for a host of reasons
underrated: Burke and Bolton Valley ( i was blown away by the size and amount of glade skiing there)

Yea, at least I'm not the only person in the thread to mention Bolton, lol. Seriously, I think the problem is that so few people have ever actually skied there, which makes it a perfect "underrated" candidate. It kind of reminds me of Plattekill in that regard, no one has ever been there.

Underrated: I'll go with the resorts in the middle of nowhere Vermont... Mad River Glenn and Jay Peak. (although I hear Jay Peak is or has been building the surrounding up a bit more). Those mountains are pure Vermont magic.

Yes, a big part of what makes Jay special will be ruined in 7 or 8 years (or so I fear).

rev bubba

Underratted, Part 1: Easy, Hunter Mountain, NY. I'm surprised no one mentioned it. Yes, much too crowded on weekends but I have not skied there on a weekend in years. During the week, you respectable vert, fast lifts, great snow making, steeps, bumps and no people.

Underratted, Part 2: I'll throw in Mountain Creek, NJ. Again, I usually only ski week days and frankly, when no one is there, it a great local hill for us people on the southern end of NE (North East).

Overratted, Part 1: Wildcat. Yeah, the view of Mt. Washington is nice but the ice! Good God, the ice!

Overratted, Part 2: Sunday River.

My favorite eastern mountain is MRG anyway and I don't think that is at all underratted. Somewhat unknown maybe, but not underratted.

But what do I know?

skiNEwhere

Overratted, Part 1: Wildcat. Yeah, the view of Mt. Washington is nice but the ice! Good God, the ice!

Wildcat and Cannon are the only resorts in New Hampshire I enjoy. Wildcat is colder than the average ski resorts, which seems to keep the crowds down to have their awesome terrain to yourself

HowieT2

Underratted, Part 1: Easy, Hunter Mountain, NY. I'm surprised no one mentioned it. Yes, much too crowded on weekends but I have not skied there on a weekend in years. During the week, you respectable vert, fast lifts, great snow making, steeps, bumps and no people.

Underratted, Part 2: I'll throw in Mountain Creek, NJ. Again, I usually only ski week days and frankly, when no one is there, it a great local hill for us people on the southern end of NE (North East).

Overratted, Part 2: Sunday River.

My favorite eastern mountain is MRG anyway and I don't think that is at all underratted. Somewhat unknown maybe, but not underratted.

But what do I know?

Just because you love to ski and mtn x allows you to do that, doesnt make it underated. Mtn creek? Come on. It is what it is. Convenient. When its not completely unbearably crowded, its schussable. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Ive had plenty of fun there and at hunter too, but underated, i think not.

rev bubba

Ok, I'm new to this forum but I have no idea what you are talking about. It seems like you didn't read what I said after listing Hunter and Mountain Creek which seems to be a BIG problem with most sites like this.

I love smaller mountains and MC is definitely a smaller mountain that gets lots of crap from people but when you compare it to others, it is underrated. Besides, I did say ".... what do I know?" As for Hunter, didn't someone say Killington is a bunch of poorly interconnected 1600 foot vert mountains? Hunter saves you the job of finding all those peaks. It is an honest 1600 foot vert.

Read on. You will also see that I don't ski weekends and I thought I made that pretty clear.

steamboat1

Yea, at least I'm not the only person in the thread to mention Bolton, lol. Seriously, I think the problem is that so few people have ever actually skied there, which makes it a perfect "underrated" candidate. It kind of reminds me of Plattekill in that regard, no one has ever been there.
I don't know why but I never really cared for Bolton & I've been there several times. The chair to the left of the base lodge is long & flat. The main mountain was broken up into two short lifts making it hard to use the true vertical of the place. Looking at the new trail map it looks like they installed a top to bottom lift. I don't know haven't been there in 5 or 6 years. The main mountain does have decent terrain though. The other chair which is the 1st one you come to driving up has uninspiring terrain also. I will say the area has very good base elevation and does receive above average snowfall. The access road is a trip also & affords spectacular views of camel's hump when driving out.