• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most over and underrated ski resort in NE?

BenedictGomez

Ok, I'm new to this forum but I have no idea what you are talking about. It seems like you didn't read what I said after listing Hunter and Mountain Creek which seems to be a BIG problem with most sites like this.

I love smaller mountains and MC is definitely a smaller mountain that gets lots of crap from people but when you compare it to others, it is underrated. Besides, I did say ".... what do I know?" As for Hunter, didn't someone say Killington is a bunch of poorly interconnected 1600 foot vert mountains? Hunter saves you the job of finding all those peaks. It is an honest 1600 foot vert.

If anything I'd put Hunter into the "overrated" category, simply because it's THE place that everyone in the city and NJ "know" about and where absolutely everyone goes. Plus, people rave about the place like it's Chamonix or something (ok, not really, but you know what I mean ) which is for me the tip-off that they have no idea what they're talking about, but I think is another indicator of "overrated'ness".

On MC, I dont know enough about it so I'd be interested in hearing more on why you call it underrated. From the comments on this board, most people seem to absolutely HATE the place (some refuse to go there), but if those people are being unfair, than I definitely can see how it could be very underrated if it's actually a pretty decent hill, but gets slagged on unfairly.

I don't know why but I never really cared for Bolton & I've been there several times. The chair to the left of the base lodge is long & flat. The main mountain was broken up into two short lifts making it hard to use the true vertical of the place. Looking at the new trail map it looks like they installed a top to bottom lift. I don't know haven't been there in 5 or 6 years. The main mountain does have decent terrain though. The other chair which is the 1st one you come to driving up has uninspiring terrain also. I will say the area has very good base elevation and does receive above average snowfall. The access road is a trip also & affords spectacular views of camel's hump when driving out.

It's near always completely empty (unless you go night skiing, but that's mainly for the kiddies), the terrain is pretty good, and the tree skiing is well above average by anyone's standards. And it's not a place people think to go (which to me is a substantial part of being underrated), because there are so many superior options relatively nearby (Stowe, Jay, Smuggs, Sugarbush, MRG).

ScottySkis

If anything I'd put Hunter into the "overrated" category, simply because it's THE place that everyone in the city and NJ "know" about and where absolutely everyone goes. Plus, people rave about the place like it's Chamonix or something (ok, not really, but you know what I mean ) which is for me the tip-off that they have no idea what they're talking about, but I think is another indicator of "overrated'ness".

On MC, I dont know enough about it so I'd be interested in hearing more on why you call it underrated. From the comments on this board, most people seem to absolutely HATE the place (some refuse to go there), but if those people are being unfair, than I definitely can see how it could be very underrated if it's actually a pretty decent hill, but gets slagged on unfairly.

It's near always completely empty (unless you go night skiing, but that's mainly for the kiddies), the terrain is pretty good, and the tree skiing is well above average by anyone's standards. And it's not a place people think to go (which to me is a substantial part of being underrated), because there are so many superior options relatively nearby (Stowe, Jay, Smuggs, Sugarbush, MRG).

Well I can tell you my opinion on MC because I skied there a lot because my dad had Gf. that worked for the hill before Interwest own it in late 90s and got me free skiing a lot. When you have a home on the hill its nice to make runs especially mid hill think it was Granite peak. Mid week nights is nice too. But if your travelling an hour or more there just much better hills , most of the vertical at MC is almost all beginners flat with few steep sections that last for few seconds.

rev bubba

It is obvious a lot of you don't have a clue what underrated means.

MC is not the same place you skied in the 90's and even more improvements were made last season by the new owners but didn't get going because of the poor winter. Pipeline was completely redone. However, all the negative comments on MC only prove the point that it is underrated. It is not as bad as everyone loves to say so all you negative people keep it up while I get my 70 or so days of skiing in every year at places so many seem just too good to visit (please refer to ski snob comment earlier). Your lose, my gain. Ski there during the week and you have the place to yourself. Night? Why the heck would I ski at night if I can ski all day? I'm not a kid any more.

Don't dare ski Hunter during the week either. I hate it when more than 25 people show up. Damn, that is crowded. I see you live closer to the Catskills than me so you can go further north for a day trip but Hunter is quite far enough for me.

Since I don't live in Vermont, I'll just have to make do with what I have and "settle" for a couple week long trips to Vermont, a week or so in NH, maybe ten days out west and this year, a week in Europe. What you won't get from me is a waste of breath bashing any ski area.

Doesn't anyone but me understand that skiing or riding is good no matter where you do it?

ScottySkis

MC is not the same place you skied in the 90's and even more improvements were made last season by the new owners but didn't get going because of the poor winter. Pipeline was completely redone. However, all the negative comments on MC only prove the point that it is underrated. It is not as bad as everyone loves to say so all you negative people keep it up while I get my 70 or so days of skiing in every year at places so many seem just too good to visit (please refer to ski snob comment earlier). Your lose, my gain. Ski there during the week and you have the place to yourself. Night? Why the heck would I ski at night if I can ski all day? I'm not a kid any more.

Don't dare ski Hunter during the week either. I hate it when more than 25 people show up. Damn, that is crowded. I see you live closer to the Catskills than me so you can go further north for a day trip but Hunter is quite far enough for me.

Since I don't live in Vermont, I'll just have to make do with what I have and "settle" for a couple week long trips to Vermont, a week or so in NH, maybe ten days out west and this year, a week in Europe. What you won't get from me is a waste of breath bashing any ski area.

Doesn't anyone but me understand that skiing or riding is good no matter where you do it?
I think it is great that you can ski mid week. All hills are great midweek non holiday. MC is fine for that if your close by, and since this is the first year for back in Mid Hudson Valley in several years, I actually plan on hitting MC at night a few times this season because I'm only 40 minutes away.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

mlkrgr

Overratted, Part 1: Wildcat. Yeah, the view of Mt. Washington is nice but the ice! Good God, the ice!

Wildcat overrated? I think it's underrated. The ride up the mountain on the quad is nice and it's the fastest in the Northeast. I've never seen a line more than 5 minutes long, aside from extenuating circumstances or if they run a deeply discounted special. The character of the trails is second to none too. True, you have to stay 20 minutes from there in North Conway; ok maybe you can find something 10-15 away though.

Wachusett is overrated with the crowding. The only way to escape it is to go before 4 pm during the day (which is the only time I enjoy that place. But it's understandably so because it's so close for many in MA.

Loon is overrated just as much with the crowding; but sometimes I can't resist but to go there.

MRG is also a bit overrated due to lines. When I go skiing, I want to ski, not wait in line. The all in price is a little high too due to lack of deals aside from a few select days (I know; the midweek price is pretty reasonable but there always seems to be a much more reasonable deal despite this available to me when I want to go skiing). I can let a bus due to driving work for me to another resort for $5-15 more than MRG's weekend price when you talk weekend skiing and get a ticket as part of the deal. Since there's no snowboards allowed, the people who run buses have no incentive to go to MRG. I think this is a factor why Sunday River has become such a big brand in the Greater Boston market.

Which brings me to Sunday River is rated just right. While there's overrated areas of the mountain like Barker, you can easily traverse to a good but underrated area of the mountain (biggest example is North Peak). They understand the most there's people like me out there that want to ski and want to meet others (skiing is a social sport after all) but not do the driving.

Killington is about right, but you have the gondolas which are good when it's cold. If it's not, I'd rather be elsewhere especially as Skye Peak Express can be the only way out of Bear. But SR still has a better vibe and if it's not ridiculously cold, I'd rather go to SR.

ERJ-145CA

As far as MC being underrated I don't know but it does get a lot of hate on these boards. What I do know is that aside from that annoying gondola it is a good experience mid-week and at night. I'd say it is a similar experience to most Pocono mountains mid-week. I've never been there on a weekend day but when I drive past it on my way to Hidden Valley on weekends the lots are all full by 9:30 so yes it is very crowded on the weekend.

For what it is, a 1000 vertical foot ski area in NJ they do a very good job, especially the last few years with the new owners. During a good winter they even allow a few runs to bump up, which isn't always possible given the freeze-thaw cycle that NJ experiences frequently. The area that I live in and that MC is in is also usually 10 - 15 degrees cooler than the rest of northern NJ and NYC. Now that they replaced the bubble tents with an actual lodge (which is very nice BTW) and put in a new lift to connect South peak to the rest of the mountain it should be an even better experience. As for me I enjoy a day of skiing anywhere and given that MC is 10 minutes from my house and I have a lot of weekdays off it's great to have such a "big" place so close to home.

HowieT2

Underated means its better than the general consensus gives it credit for. The only positive thing you have pointed out about mc is that its not crowded midday midweek. That does not make it underated. Every ski mtn is empty midweek for the obvious reason that 95% of skiers are either at work or in school. So while mc may be great for you (and yes id rather be skiing mc than sitting in my office) and convenient for many, what about it is undervalued? Is it the terrain? Lifts? Apres? Food? What improvements have made it a better mtn?
my experience there is that it is nothing special. so if someone from metro ny area asked my opinion where they should go skiing, it wouldnt be mc unless it was the only mtn within their travel radius. Imho, there are better options in the catskills, poconos and berkshires which are only a little longer travel time.

But that doesnt mean its not a great place for you and like they say about pizza and sex, when its good, its really really good. And when its bad, its still good.

x10003q

Underated means its better than the general consensus gives it credit for. The only positive thing you have pointed out about mc is that its not crowded midday midweek. That does not make it underated. Every ski mtn is empty midweek for the obvious reason that 95% of skiers are either at work or in school. So while mc may be great for you (and yes id rather be skiing mc than sitting in my office) and convenient for many, what about it is undervalued? Is it the terrain? Lifts? Apres? Food? What improvements have made it a better mtn?
my experience there is that it is nothing special. so if someone from metro ny area asked my opinion where they should go skiing, it wouldnt be mc unless it was the only mtn within their travel radius. Imho, there are better options in the catskills, poconos and berkshires which are only a little longer travel time.

But that doesnt mean its not a great place for you and like they say about pizza and sex, when its good, its really really good. And when its bad, its still good.

Well said and the 850 vertical feet Cabriolet sucks every day of the week.

BenedictGomez

Underated means its better than the general consensus gives it credit for. The only positive thing you have pointed out about mc is that its not crowded midday midweek. That does not make it underated. Every ski mtn is empty midweek for the obvious reason that 95% of skiers are either at work or in school.

I was about to post the exact same thing, hence why I specifically asked for reasons why IHO it was underrated. I mean, my brother's backyard isn't crowded mid-week, but at about 78 foot vertical, I wouldn't call it an "underrated" ski area. It's not even lift served for heaven's sake.

MadMadWorld

Wildcat overrated? I think it's underrated. The ride up the mountain on the quad is nice and it's the fastest in the Northeast. I've never seen a line more than 5 minutes long, aside from extenuating circumstances or if they run a deeply discounted special. The character of the trails is second to none too. True, you have to stay 20 minutes from there in North Conway; ok maybe you can find something 10-15 away though.

Wachusett is overrated with the crowding. The only way to escape it is to go before 4 pm during the day (which is the only time I enjoy that place. But it's understandably so because it's so close for many in MA.

Loon is overrated just as much with the crowding; but sometimes I can't resist but to go there.

MRG is also a bit overrated due to lines. When I go skiing, I want to ski, not wait in line. The all in price is a little high too due to lack of deals aside from a few select days (I know; the midweek price is pretty reasonable but there always seems to be a much more reasonable deal despite this available to me when I want to go skiing). I can let a bus due to driving work for me to another resort for $5-15 more than MRG's weekend price when you talk weekend skiing and get a ticket as part of the deal. Since there's no snowboards allowed, the people who run buses have no incentive to go to MRG. I think this is a factor why Sunday River has become such a big brand in the Greater Boston market.

Which brings me to Sunday River is rated just right. While there's overrated areas of the mountain like Barker, you can easily traverse to a good but underrated area of the mountain (biggest example is North Peak). They understand the most there's people like me out there that want to ski and want to meet others (skiing is a social sport after all) but not do the driving.

Killington is about right, but you have the gondolas which are good when it's cold. If it's not, I'd rather be elsewhere especially as Skye Peak Express can be the only way out of Bear. But SR still has a better vibe and if it's not ridiculously cold, I'd rather go to SR.

I couldn't agree more. I have loved Wildcat since I was a kid. It has the same type of feel as Magic, MRG, and Smuggs. As I have said before, I love the character of mountains and Wildcat has plenty of it. They leave most expert terrain as natural as possible and I appreciate their willingness to leave expert terrain open when most mountains would shut it down. Lines are never long and the speed of the squad allows you to ski possibly the most vertical of any mountain in NE on a given day.

I taught at Wachusett for 8 seasons and midweek before 4pm and Sunday nights are really the best times to ski there. When school groups start the place is just a mad house especially when they close trails to groom. On holidays, you will easily spend 45 minutes in a line for a run that lasts only a few minutes.

I don't think MRG is overrated simply because it's terrain is unmatched but you make some great points about the buses. Then again, I had a midweek season pass for a number of years so maybe I am a little biased.

I haven't been to Sunday River in a number of years but I remember just being bored with it. Every run kind of felt the same and I got bored spending time bouncing from one mountain to the other. But that is just my own feeling about it and I think it has a lot to offer for the intermediate-advanced skier.

4aprice

Being a Jersey resident I have to put in my $.02. I'm located really well and even with MC and Hidden closer timewise I opt for the Pa over NJ. I have plenty of experience with NJ skiing as I started skiing a long time ago and skied the Original Great Gorge, the orignal Vernon Valley, the old Snow Bowl and taught a season at Hidden Valley. The Original Vernon Valley was probably my favorite out of those but changes they made to that mountain, don't do it any favors. The Original Great Gorge is now a terrain park which is not my cup of tea. There a couple of things that keep me away from NJ slopes including the drive is easier to Camelback, but the biggest is weather. Quite frankly it's colder in PA. Last year was a perfect example. The difference in vertical 1000-800 ft means nothing to me down here, I like the better snow. The base of Camelback is 1200 ft (Summit MC 1400 ft) Camelback Summit 2000 ft. I've seen alot of times where Camelback was making snow and other mountains could not. What natural snow they get is generally more then NJ and it preserves better. This area is the banana belt of Northeast skiing and I just find the PA experience better. If you want good snow and vertical your going to have to travel up north anyways.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

poconovfr

ski areas are like golf courses.....fire a 70.........ANYWHERE.........and it's the best course ever.

Show up to two feet of pow..........​ANYWHERE......well you get the picture.

fbrissette

ski areas are like golf courses.....fire a 70.........ANYWHERE.........and it's the best course ever.

Show up to two feet of pow..........​ANYWHERE......well you get the picture.

Have to disagree. I have had my best golf score on a course I would never go back to. While two feet of snow will make any average resort looks good, it will make the great ones even more awesome.

poconovfr

Have to disagree. I have had my best golf score on a course I would never go back to. While two feet of snow will make any average resort looks good, it will make the great ones even more awesome.

......................true 300 vert. ft. will do that to a person

SnowRock

Being a Jersey resident I have to put in my $.02. I'm located really well and even with MC and Hidden closer timewise I opt for the Pa over NJ. There a couple of things that keep me away from NJ slopes including the drive is easier to Camelback, but the biggest is weather. Quite frankly it's colder in PA. Last year was a perfect example. The difference in vertical 1000-800 ft means nothing to me down here, I like the better snow. The base of Camelback is 1200 ft (Summit MC 1400 ft) Camelback Summit 2000 ft. I've seen alot of times where Camelback was making snow and other mountains could not. What natural snow they get is generally more then NJ and it preserves better.
Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Agree and frankly I was amazed at how well Camelback managed in the disaster that was last year. Camelback is my local "hill" of choice. I'll get to MC a few times, the new lodge is very nice and the revamped base area a HUGE improvement, but I'll usually opt for Camelback over MC. On that note, while I am not sure I'd say its "underrated" I opted for Elk last year a time or two over Hunter. Slightly quicker and definitely easier drive for me.. less crowded and a much different vibe.

Quick question on Stowe... is the price really all that different from most other places for the likes of people that are into snow sports enough to post on a message board? Does anyone here actually pay the full walk-up price?

I run a trip with some friends and fam the past few years.. price out a few different options to give the illusion of choice before pushing Stowe on everyone because I love the mountain, and Sugarbush for the past 3 has been the priciest. That's lodging and passes, but Stowe with an advanced purchase is basically within a few bucks of everywhere else as far as I remember.

4aprice

Agree and frankly I was amazed at how well Camelback managed in the disaster that was last year. Camelback is my local "hill" of choice. I'll get to MC a few times, the new lodge is very nice and the revamped base area a HUGE improvement, but I'll usually opt for Camelback over MC. On that note, while I am not sure I'd say its "underrated" I opted for Elk last year a time or two over Hunter. Slightly quicker and definitely easier drive for me.. less crowded and a much different vibe.

Welcome aboard SnowRock. Maybe we'll see you up at CBK. Just want to note that I did not say Camelback was underrated. I was only explaining why I pick the Pocono's over NJ. For that matter the only 3 I like skiing up there are Elk, Blue and Camelback. I keep a pass at Camelback because of its location and the fact that my son skis on the Alpine Team.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SnowRock

Thanks... and yeah I got that from your post. I meant the Elk comment more as a stand alone. I'm not sure any of the Pocono/NJ mountains can really be considered underrated. I'll look for you on 80 when the temps start staying low!

canobie#1

I don't get the hate with Killington. It has such great terrain and it's huge. Such a nice place for all abilities.

Overratted:
Waterville Valley-the terrain is blah and overpopulated. Very small place too.

Sunday River:
Boring and way too crowded. The place deff has some great spots like Oz, Jordan Bowl and some of their glades. But the rest is just crap.

Mount Snow:
Just awful. The sunbrook and north face are pretty nice but the main mountain is just plain bad.

Attitash:
If this place didn't have Bear Peak, it would be my least favorite ski area. The Attitash is so run down and crappy. Bear Peak has some awsome runs though, including one of my favorite NH trails, Avenger! Wander Skis and Illusion are a blast too. But it's such a pain in the ass to get everywhere. It's all walking. And get rid of that damn summit triple already!

Stowe:
Bland and lots of walking on the base. Extremly overpriced. I really don't understand why people like this place. Starr, Chin Clip, Lookout and goat are the only trails that stood out to me. Everything else was just boring. Atleast the hotel and town are really nice.

Bretton Woods:
Speaking of boring. It's like skiing on a golf course. Not a fan.

Underratted:

Ragged Mountain:
Such an awesome place. Great cruisers, awesome glades and very nice atmosphere. The place is really imroving with new trails, pinnacle peak, new spearmountain express and of course....WAFFLE CABIN.! You're missing out if you pass this place.

Mount Abram:
I'll take this over sunday river anyday. Amazing glades, pow stashes and cruisers! Mount Abram is my favorite in Maine.

Underratted to the ski enthusists:

Cranmore:
Such a fun little mountain, love all the trails and glades.

Stratton:
If you want classic, windy New England cruising trails, go to stratton. This resort is so well kept. And the glades are some of the best in VT. There I said it.

Pat's Peak:
Best nightskiing in NH.

Killington:
Enough with the haters. Killington is the best of the best in NE.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I don't get the hate with Killington. It has such great terrain and it's huge. Such a nice place for all abilities.

Overratted:
Waterville Valley-the terrain is blah and overpopulated. Very small place too.

Sunday River:
Boring and way too crowded. The place deff has some great spots like Oz, Jordan Bowl and some of their glades. But the rest is just crap.

Mount Snow:
Just awful. The sunbrook and north face are pretty nice but the main mountain is just plain bad.

Attitash:
If this place didn't have Bear Peak, it would be my least favorite ski area. The Attitash is so run down and crappy. Bear Peak has some awsome runs though, including one of my favorite NH trails, Avenger! Wander Skis and Illusion are a blast too. But it's such a pain in the ass to get everywhere. It's all walking. And get rid of that damn summit triple already!

Stowe:
Bland and lots of walking on the base. Extremly overpriced. I really don't understand why people like this place. Starr, Chin Clip, Lookout and goat are the only trails that stood out to me. Everything else was just boring. Atleast the hotel and town are really nice.

Bretton Woods:
Speaking of boring. It's like skiing on a golf course. Not a fan.

Underratted:

Ragged Mountain:
Such an awesome place. Great cruisers, awesome glades and very nice atmosphere. The place is really imroving with new trails, pinnacle peak, new spearmountain express and of course....WAFFLE CABIN.! You're missing out if you pass this place.

Mount Abram:
I'll take this over sunday river anyday. Amazing glades, pow stashes and cruisers! Mount Abram is my favorite in Maine.

Underratted to the ski enthusists:

Cranmore:
Such a fun little mountain, love all the trails and glades.

Stratton:
If you want classic, windy New England cruising trails, go to stratton. This resort is so well kept. And the glades are some of the best in VT. There I said it.

Pat's Peak:
Best nightskiing in NH.

Killington:
Enough with the haters. Killington is the best of the best in NE.

Of all the mountains I've been to, Stowe is the biggest "you have to ski between the trails to have the most fun". Outside of the Front 4, I kind of agree with you, but when you throw in everything between the named runs, it's right up there with anyone.

Ragged is one of my favorites, but it needs snow. If there are no woods or bumps, the trails don't have much character on their own and it's a very very boring mountain.

You are literally the only person I've ever heard compliment Stratton in that manner. Every other time I've heard Stratton mentioned as a positive is about the village or grooming.