• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain morons at mountain creek

ZYDECORICH

ok, this is no surprise. if you ski mountain creek during the day on weekends, you might as well be sking down 5th ave in manhattan. i being a season pass holder understand this, i only ski there during the week, and only after 4pm on weekends with the kids. just got back tonight and had a perfect example of morons on the mountain. it was busy and i was sking with my younger one who is a green dotter most of the time. what i do knowing the crowd, is ski behind her, basically riding shotgun so she doesn't get run over. we do a couple runs and all is well except she's a little freaked out by the weekend warriors flying by her on either side not paying any attention to sking under control. this is not a surprise, a couple of cocktails, a couple of doobies, the trails just get faster right? as we get back in line for the lift she tells me that the guys flying by her within inches are slightly disturbing. i tell her there not much i can do and that it should hopefully clear out shortly. i do tell her that she being the downhill skier has the right of way, and that anyone sking above her should be skiing under control and has to avoid her. as i say this joe johnny weekend warrior on the line says in a slurring voice, with a butt sticking out of his mouth ..... hey dude if you ski making turns side to side your probably going to get run over, you gotta make sure your out of the way! this on a green trail with kids all over. i had few choice words for this snowboarding cheesehead neophyte ( by the way his idiot buddy was sking) and basically the lift attendant got between us, agreeing with me that this guy was a jerk and to chill. just an example of the lost art of mountain courtesy and etiquette. at least my kids can pass it on. can yours?

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
there is deffinatly a generation that has nt been tought proper mountain safety. all the kids i teach get a good dose of mountain safety. i was lucky i was taught the right way. the problem is the mountain is used a afterschool program by some parents and the kids are left ot their own devices. so its not really the kids fault they don't know any better. that being said with feeder hills you have to deal with the stupid asshats. one of the reasons i like going up NVT.

ERJ-145CA

Another reason I don't go to MC during the day on weekends, I'd rather go someplace smaller and avoid people like that and the ridiculous crowds.

wa-loaf

Glad I ski at Wachusett because that would never happen . . . err, yea right I don't ski weekends there either.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Damn, I hate to say this, but have you tried Blue Mountain? Every mountain has their share of jerks, but IMHO, there is none worst that Mountain Creek.

It's a fact of life..I'm actually surprised people take little kids to crowded resorts during the busiest days of the season..the best time to learn is quieter times..and yes the downhill skier always has the right of way..I once got clipped by someone from beyond who yelled at me for making my turn too wide..ba ba ba BS..

hammer

It's a fact of life..I'm actually surprised people take little kids to crowded resorts during the busiest days of the season..the best time to learn is quieter times..and yes the downhill skier always has the right of way..I once got clipped by someone from beyond who yelled at me for making my turn too wide..ba ba ba BS..
You got clipped from behind? Never thought that would happen to you...

I've been on both sides of this argument...ultimately, it's always the uphill skier's responsibility to avoid skiers below. That said, I'd appreciate it if less experienced skiers would try to not traverse the entire trail...that way, if I want to pass them I don't have to put the breaks on and sneak around them.

Phildozer

Glad I ski at Wachusett because that would never happen . . . err, yea right I don't ski weekends there either.

At Wachuset, you'd have the kid's mother in your face saying that her precious child could *never* do something like what you're accusing him of. All-the-while, little Johnny is standing behind his mother, watching the video his buddy made of the whole thing.

What happens from time to time is that when me and AtomicSkier are hauling ass..some yahoo will get into a bullet tuck and relentless try to pass us to show off..luckily..I have eyes in the back of my head and crank a couple hard turns to blast the person in the face with chunks of pocono powder off my doubletips..lol..People pass me a couple times a season and in that one instance..I got clipped..me and the other skier bumped boots..luckily there was no carnage because I was going to Jackson Hole a few days later..

WJenness

What happens from time to time is that when me and AtomicSkier are hauling ass..some yahoo will get into a bullet tuck and relentless try to pass us to show off..luckily..I have eyes in the back of my head and crank a couple hard turns to blast the person in the face with chunks of pocono powder off my doubletips..lol..People pass me a couple times a season and in that one instance..I got clipped..me and the other skier bumped boots..luckily there was no carnage because I was going to Jackson Hole a few days later..

Yesterday at Loon a snowboarder tried to pass my girlfriend (who was on skis) in a slow zone by Camp III (mid-mountain lodge), and turned right in front of her, cutting her off and he actually boarded over the tips of her skis, they both fell down, luckily they were OK, but I wanted to slap him for being a moron... but I was already at the rack with my skis off when it happened...

-w

rpmk104

I was over at mtn creek on sunday and its a zoo. We did a few runs on vernon and it was just endless stopping to go around fallen skier/snowboarder and then looking back to make sure no one was going to knock you out. We stayed on granite peak the rest of the day. Its much less crowded and the snow wasn't too bad at all!

One thing that bugged the heck out of me was my board getting bumped, poled, rammed into while waiting at the lift line. Everytime the line moved foward, I would get a nice bump from behind. Its so incredibly annoying. Maybe I am just anal.

poconovfr

Dude that place truely sucks and this from a Camelback pass holder.I did have a pass there a couple years ago. Didn't take long to realize that this was the red headed step child of Interwest.. As far as most folks who ski there,well it's like skiing at a mall.

hardline

Dude that place truely sucks and this from a Camelback pass holder.I did have a pass there a couple years ago. Didn't take long to realize that this was the red headed step child of Interwest.. As far as most folks who ski there,well it's like skiing at a mall.

i conpletely disagree. just dont go there durring the day on the weekends. i go for an hour or 2 early on the weekend and durring the day/night on the weekend and its fine. yo need to know how to use the hill. they are actually starting to improve things. 260 for a full pass and 199 for the 5x7 for a place that is and hour from my house or 1:15 from the city is great. i always have fun.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
i conpletely disagree. just dont go there durring the day on the weekends. i go for an hour or 2 early on the weekend and durring the day/night on the weekend and its fine. yo need to know how to use the hill. they are actually starting to improve things. 260 for a full pass and 199 for the 5x7 for a place that is and hour from my house or 1:15 from the city is great. i always have fun.

Even the weekends aren't bad if you go after 4pm. The past 3 weeks the place just empties out, and you ski right up to the lifts. There are still a lot of people on the green trails, but the blues are fine, and the blacks are practically empty. This is my second year as a 5x7 season pass holder there, and I can notice a big difference from last year to this year. The conditions are miles ahead of where they were last year, and more open trails means less crowds.

hardline

Even the weekends aren't bad if you go after 4pm. The past 3 weeks the place just empties out, and you ski right up to the lifts. There are still a lot of people on the green trails, but the blues are fine, and the blacks are practically empty. This is my second year as a 5x7 season pass holder there, and I can notice a big difference from last year to this year. The conditions are miles ahead of where they were last year, and more open trails means less crowds.

absolutly true i was there 2 fridays ago and we where doing speed laps. conditions early on where a little hard but the last few weeks they have been day i say as good as i have ever seen them. they are really making an effort this year.

ZYDECORICH

I've been on both sides of this argument...ultimately, it's always the uphill skier's responsibility to avoid skiers below. That said, I'd appreciate it if less experienced skiers would try to not traverse the entire trail...that way, if I want to pass them I don't have to put the breaks on and sneak around them.[/QUOTE

i understand your point about going full across the trail, but on a green dot you have to expect that, many kids. (by the way we were only using half the trail at best). if these guys want to bomb the hill let them go to a intermediate or expert to do so. my guess is that they suddenly slow down due to their inept technique.

ZYDECORICH

I was over at mtn creek on sunday and its a zoo. We did a few runs on vernon and it was just endless stopping to go around fallen skier/snowboarder and then looking back to make sure no one was going to knock you out. We stayed on granite peak the rest of the day. Its much less crowded and the snow wasn't too bad at all!

One thing that bugged the heck out of me was my board getting bumped, poled, rammed into while waiting at the lift line. Everytime the line moved foward, I would get a nice bump from behind. Its so incredibly annoying. Maybe I am just anal.

your not. its common place on the weekends. i was on the line yesterday and a kid decides that he wants to join his buddies 6 people away on a merge. without hesitation he jumps across everyones skis and boards to hook up with them. no excuse me or oh i'm sorry. nothing. does he have parents? does he have a brain? does he need a boot in the ass? you bet!