• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moved from Florida to Jersey looking for advice and tips.

BenedictGomez

I want to get a season pass to one of the local resorts to get some practice in and get some gear that won’t break the bank.

Mountain Creek Resort is less than a ½ an hour from my house and seems to have a pretty varied trail selection. So I’ll probably get set up there. If there are any other locations that are recommended I’d love to know.

I'm going to pile on with the "try a bunch of places" for your first year rather than getting a season pass. Blue Mountain, Mountain Creek, Shawnee, Camelback, Plattekill, Windham, etc.... It's a bit like golf courses, try a bunch and you'll be happier and more informed if/when you do decide to get a pass. Only way I'd get a pass to MC is if driving time, gas really is a major factor.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Congrats on escaping Flordia, condolences that you're in NJ.

Mountain Creek is horrible. Taking your skis off every 800 vertical feet sucks. Avoid on the weekends at all costs.
Several others said it but it's worth repeating. Boots first! Pelican is just ok. Heinio's on Rt 23, Buckmans (PA), or REI are all better choices.
Get everyone helmets. It's a minimal investment for your brains.

If you want family skiing where you can take a few lessons to progress I'd highly recommend Shawnee Mountain in PA on weekends. Blue, MC and CB will become shitshows on the weekends. That being said, Blue has the best terrain/lift access of all of them.

ScottySkis

Congrats on escaping Flordia, condolences that you're in NJ.

Mountain Creek is horrible. Taking your skis off every 800 vertical feet sucks. Avoid on the weekends at all costs.
Several others said it but it's worth repeating. Boots first! Pelican is just ok. Heinio's on Rt 23, Buckmans (PA), or REI are all better choices.
Get everyone helmets. It's a minimal investment for your brains.

If you want family skiing where you can take a few lessons to progress I'd highly recommend Shawnee Mountain in PA on weekends. Blue, MC and CB will become shitshows on the weekends. That being said, Blue has the best terrain/lift access of all of them.

I agree about Mountain creek but didn't get get rid of the fake gondola and put in a chair?

1000 vertical I don't know how it is really flat FYI. On midweek day it is okay, since I moved back to the area about 2 years ago I live about 30 45 minutes away ( back roads are awesome) and I haven't been back yet.

dlague

From what I gather in your opening post - you know how to ski, so a beginner you are not. However, considering that you plan on skiing more frequently, you are bound to start improving quickly. That being said, if you plan on buying according to your current ability I would not go too crazy on gear since there is a strong chance that you will out perform it next year already. Alternatively, as I do with my family, you can buy into gear that will push you to the next level. It may cost a little more now but it will save you from having to revisit a ski shop next year or even the year after that.

If you are, in fact, an intermediate consider Intermediate-Advanced gear and even consider a more advance lesson to get you off in the right direction!

Something else to consider, try demo skis and boots at the resort to get a feel for what you like!

Is a helmet necessary? A helmet - yes it is - anything is better than nothing. You noggin is the only one you have so protect it! You do not have to go crazy!

SIKSKIER

Boots are the #1 priority.You don't want to skimp there but at your level you don't want high end performance boots either.Be honest with the shop guy and pretty much explain it as you did in your opening post.You should be able to get something under $400.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I agree about Mountain creek but didn't get get rid of the fake gondola and put in a chair?

1000 vertical I don't know how it is really flat FYI. On midweek day it is okay, since I moved back to the area about 2 years ago I live about 30 45 minutes away ( back roads are awesome) and I haven't been back yet.
According to their trail map it's still there. I think to get the full 1K, you have to run off the Vernon Triple, which is never running when I'm there. BTW, that triple lift is timed perfectly for a safety meeting and a beer. My advice to the OP is to avoid MC on the weekends. For just a little more effort there's a much better day trip experience to be had either in NY or PA.

I have a voucher for da creek this season. I'd like to hit it mid week once they are 100% open. I have very fond memories of skiing at Vernon Valley/Great Gorge but you couldn't pay me enough to ski there on a weekend. They finally got rid of the tents right?

ScottySkis

According to their trail map it's still there. I think to get the full 1K, you have to run off the Vernon Triple, which is never running when I'm there. BTW, that triple lift is timed perfectly for a safety meeting and a beer. My advice to the OP is to avoid MC on the weekends. For just a little more effort there's a much better day trip experience to be had either in NY or PA.

I have a voucher for da creek this season. I'd like to hit it mid week once they are 100% open. I have very fond memories of skiing at Vernon Valley/Great Gorge but you couldn't pay me enough to ski there on a weekend. They finally got rid of the tents right?

The original owner bought MC back so is he still running the place?

dlague

Just noticed this on another thread that may be right up your alley, bossdog!

WNEP Ski Card - http://wnep.upickem.net/engine/Splash.aspx?contestid=44331

WNEP Ski Card
$469.99 Voucher for $129.99
Name: ski_card_front_web.jpg Views: 14 Size: 32.0 KB
Description
Welcome to the WNEP Ski Card online store! We are excited to announce the biggest card we’ve ever featured! You can purchase a ski card that is good for one full day lift ticket at each of the following local ski resorts: Jack Frost, Big Boulder, Ski Denton, Gore Mountain, Montage, Mountain Creek, Shawnee, Ski Sawmill and Swain. You may redeem this for either weekday or weekend lift tickets. That's right, you can ski on the weekend with the WNEP Ski Card! Please note that this is not valid for holidays (Please see holiday dates in restrictions below.) The best part about this deal is that you can ski each of these great resorts for only $129 total! That's more than a 75% savings from purchasing a lift ticket to each mountain, individually! If you want to take advantage of this great deal, then you'd better act fast as quantities are limited!

Ski Denton
5661 US Rt. 6
Galeton, PA 16922
814-435-2115
skidenton.com/
Gore Mountain
Peaceful Valley Road
North Creek, NY 12853
(518) 251-2411
www.goremountain.com/
Jack Frost
PO Box 1539
Blakeslee, PA 18610
570-443-8425
www.jfbb.com/
Big Boulder
PO Box 1539
Blakeslee, PA 18610
570-443-8425
www.jfbb.com
Montage Mountain
1000 Montage Mountain Road
Moosic, PA 18507
570-969-7669
www.montageisback.com/
Mountain Creek
200 Route 94
Vernon, NJ 07462
973-827-2000
winter.mountaincreek.com/
Shawnee Mountain
Hollow Road
Shawnee on the Delaware, PA 18356
(570) 421-7231
www.shawneemt.com/index.html
Ski Sawmill
383 Oregon Hill Rd.
Morris, PA 16938
570-353-7521
www.skisawmill.com/
Swain Resort
220 Main Street
PO Box 44
Swain, NY 14884
www.swain.com/

154 Passes remaining, 27 days left.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I had a pass to Mountain Creek for a couple years, before I bought my house. It was only good weekdays and weekends after 4pm. Crowding was only an issue early in the season when there was limited terrain. One of their biggest problems is that everything funnels down to the Cab, so the last 100' of vert is a clusterfuck. I used to spend most of my time off the Granite quad. It had the best combination of terrain and lack of crowds.

Domeskier

I had a pass to Mountain Creek for a couple years, before I bought my house. It was only good weekdays and weekends after 4pm. Crowding was only an issue early in the season when there was limited terrain. One of their biggest problems is that everything funnels down to the Cab, so the last 100' of vert is a clusterfuck. I used to spend most of my time off the Granite quad. It had the best combination of terrain and lack of crowds.

Haven't skied there much since it was Vernon Valley. Do they still let Zero G bump up?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Haven't skied there much since it was Vernon Valley. Do they still let Zero G bump up?

They do, when there's snow.

MC's biggest problem is the fact that it's in NJ. What I mean, is that the average temp is above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. So even when they're able to make plenty of snow or get some natural to fall, it freezes into bulletproof that night. Not conducive to bumps.

Domeskier

They do, when there's snow.

MC's biggest problem is the fact that it's in NJ. What I mean, is that the average temp is above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. So even when they're able to make plenty of snow or get some natural to fall, it freezes into bulletproof that night. Not conducive to bumps.

Fair enough. It's mostly theoretical for me at this point. I can't get out there during the week and will not risk the crowds on weekends and holidays on the off chance that conditions are just right. Glad to hear that the locals can still bash some bumps on occasion.

bigbog

Boots/[Footbeds]/alignment...the most important issues of all. A really good fit makes skiing so much easier than when the angles are working against your skeleton & gravity.

Last edited:

tarponhead

Where did u get the voucher? I would also hit that mid week since the last time I was there was on my junior hs bus trip on friday nights (in jeans and on 100 cm rentals)...

Would be fun to see again (midweek!)

ScottySkis

Where did u get the voucher? I would also hit that mid week since the last time I was there was on my junior hs bus trip on friday nights (in jeans and on 100 cm rentals)...

Would be fun to see again (midweek!)

They sell 3 pass tickets for pretty cheap, not that I am buying it.

Wavewheeler

Congrats that you are leaving Florida, aka "Heavens Waiting Room" but too bad you didn't go far enough north! Although I will say that you are living in the best part of NJ. I'm sure my beach lover friends would beg to differ though ;). I live at the Shore and EVERY ski place is at least 90 minutes from me so driving is a fact of life, which is one reason I'm making plans to completely relocate myself in a few years.

Consider yourself lucky that weekdays are when you get to go out and play. EVERYTHING outdoors is better during the week in this part of the country, but especially the skiing. I purposely take off midweek just to be able to take advantage of less crowds, more civilized people, less expensive prices, etc that you get midweek. I haven't skied on a weekend in 20 years and consider it a real plus.

As for which mountain, I hate Mountain Creek and even midweek I choose to go elsewhere. Yes, they still have that fake "gondola" that you have to take your skis off and stand up on the way up after the 2.5 minutes it takes to get down the "mountain". I went there the first time in 10 years last year with my daughter on a Thursday last year and won't be going back anytime soon but if it was 20 minutes away I'd avail myself of it from time to time. Being on the mountain skiing is better than not and 20 minutes away is hard to pass up. I also hike and while I prefer to hike the Catskills I'll go 15 minutes away at my local park and hike just to get out and have a good time and keep in shape so I wouldn't cross MC off the list but keep it to midweek for the best it has to offer.

I agree that there is better. Shawnee is great for beginners-low intermediate and if you go midweek, Camelback is definitely worth a look as is Elk and Blue and the Catskills, all within a few hours of you. I'm one of the few who actually LIKES Hunter but only midweek.

Of course the best terrain is up on northern New England but to start off you will have more than enough to keep you busy.

I would look on Craig's list for gear but stuff like boots need to be tried and adjusted for the best fit and you DO want good fitting, comfortable boots. As for skis, we just bought skis and binders online for my daughter. You can go to the local ski shops and pick their brains and try stuff on and save money by buying online, which is what we did. There is also tons of info online about how to shop your gear.

Clothes shouldn't cost you too much money. I bought a lot of my clothes and my helmet at Campmor in Paramus. Clothing is tax free in NJ and if you are into a lot of outdoors stuff Campmor is like dying and going to heaven. Better to make a good investment the first time then waste money and have to do it again the right way the second. ;) You will have a MUCH better time on the slopes in cold and wet weather if you have warm and comfortable gear. And it DOES get cold up here! 0 degrees and less is going to feel mighty chilly for someone who is used to Florida so don't be penny wise and dollar foolish!

Another investment you will want to make is LESSONS. You can never learn too much. Most of the resorts offer nice package deals on lift tickets and lessons. Go online and keep your eyes peeled. And above all, have fun!