• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moving out West...

cbcbd

Well, the West is a-calling and so this Sat I bit adieu to the Eastern mountains and start my drive to the state of WA (opposite of Washington DC, for those weak in Geography ;) ).

I will definitively miss the North Eastern nature and character, but I don't think I'll be lacking in skiing terrain being in Seattle. Location wise this will also be an upgrade for me in terms of driving time to the mountains. The closer mountains to me now that are worth it are Hunter (2h30m) and Sundown (1h40m). Now in 40m I'll be in Alpental, in 1h30m I can be at Crystal, 2h30m I can be at Baker, and 5hrs (my usual drive to Sugarbush, Stowe, Wildcat) I'll be in Whistler. And as far as my other interests are concerned... there's plenty of mountaineering, plenty of rock climbing, plenty of biking (prob take a trip up to whistler!!), amazing kayaking, and ok ice climbing. So yeah, I'm pretty psyched to get all hopped up on starbucks and hit the mountains.

So if anyone has any plans of heading to Baker, Whistler, Hood, or any of the mountains out there give me a buzz as I'm itching to get to know them all up close and personal as they'll be my new backyard. I'm also planning on doing a lot of touring on the hills, especially in the spring and summer time on the glaciated peaks.

Thanks Greg for AZ... I like the banter here so I'll probably stick around and be one of those annoying West-coasters posting about feet of snow... ;)

wa-loaf

Good luck! We'll expect some awesome trip reports next season.

Congrats on moving out west and good luck..any plans to hit the Blackcomb glacier or Mount Hood this summer?

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Nice move....Too bad we never got to take that evening Mtn. Bike ride either.... I'll have to contact you when I go out there and hit the north shore with you. Without my real life constraints... (ie. wife and kids!) I'd definitely be living somewhere on the north left coast or the intermtn west...

Greg

Staff member
Thanks Greg for AZ... I like the banter here so I'll probably stick around and be one of those annoying West-coasters posting about feet of snow... ;)

Ha! Nice!

Good to get to know you a bit, Doug. Best of luck with everything and enjoy the experience!

cbcbd

thanks all...

gss - no plans on either of those yet, but I might try to do some touring on Baker or some other closer mountains.

marcski - I know, I had many plans for before leaving that never went through. I don't have those specific life constraints necessarily and it sounds like I'm playing it all cool... but the truth is that my GF is going back to school over there and has been there for the last few months waiting for me to follow ;)

greg - hey, I learned some major pointers on skiing the bumps that night :D Maybe out west I'll actually seem like a good bumper!

snoseek

Good luck, lot's of new places to see. I'm jealous of the snow that area gets.

snoseek

Enjoy the sun these last few days, doesn't come out much over there;-)

I don't know about sun but I'm pretty sure that Seattle annual rainfall is actually 10 or so inches less than boston. I think the summer is especially nice.

bvibert

Staff member
Congrats and good luck on the move! Be sure to keep us updated on things out that way (not that I'll pay attention, you Western snobs irritate me ;) ).

ComeBackMudPuddles

Enjoy and best of luck!

The Seattle Real World cast cracked me up, so I'm sure you'll have a good time out there.

RealWorldSeattle.jpg