• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mrg = fail

Smellytele

The title is spot on. You all give reach arounds talking about the place but sometimes it just plain sucks. Like this year. Get over it.

pool-1327398@N21

Are you talking about Whiteface?

mlkrgr

IT doesn't suck....The weather does. The place always stays the same...and always will be the same....:daffy::spread:

The snowboarder ban does have a ripple effect in discouraging people to go to that place, but MRG goes after a niche market and that's great. There's 6 bus services I know of that have pickups in MA north of Boston and none of them run to MRG and have no desire to because of this as I've talked to a couple of the bus group owners as it limits their market too much (they want to get the greatest amount of seats filled of course and need snowboarders to do this). Similarly, if you're in a car w/ friends and there's a snowboarder, there's no way you're going to MRG, which is another situation I've been in before. Then, my desire for it gets further diluted by the voucher availability when I do want to go to a ski resort on my own and stay at a nearby hotel; and weather/wind/snow does enough to complicate the days I can pick. They'd probably need to work with Sugarbush more closely to develop a group deal for MRG and Mt Ellen on the same ticket, but even then, there'll be a struggle to attract this demographic due to people being at two separate places. That's why I really don't get much of a chance to go to MRG once this all peters out.

goldsbar

Still don't get all the "fail" stuff. It is what it is - a throwback to the days of natural skiing, low lift capacity with top notch terrain. Year's like this not so good. Other years great. I like Sugarbush better because I like HSQs (Paradise at Sugarbush is still a great trail despite the abundant lift access) and snowmaking but MRG has it's place.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I am glad I didn't read this earlier.

To me, it's pretty simple. In one hour, the single can put 480 skiers on the hill. In that same hour, a high speed quad can push 3,600 skiers on the hill. If I waited 30 minutes at the single, there are 240 people ahead of me. If I waited five minutes for a HSQ, there will be 300 skiers ahead of me. Nothing beats schussing down Stark mountain with no one in sight.

The feeding frenzy that has everything tracked out by 10 and entirely pounded by 2pm ain't happening at MRG.

steamboat1

I love it just the way it is.

If you don't then don't go.

All I know is MRG has stayed financially viable since 1948.

Not to many other places can claim that.

roark

I have yet to experience anything like MRG anywhere else.

Love it or hate it, in a world of McMountains it's special. I for one, love it. That = win.

abc

I'm not a MRG regular. Heck, I'm not a good enough skier to actually "love" MRG.

Still, I don't see what's so wrong about it. In fact, all the suggestions of change merely makes MRG another also-ran!

Slow lift? It means fewer people on the slope fighting for space to turn. I think the slow lift is a self-regulating thing. When it gets too long, people go elsewhere. So those who ARE skiing there have a better experience, instead of throwing all those people onto the hill and EVERYONE have a bad experience.

Snow making? Everyone else does it. So if you want to ski man-made, there're plenty of places to go. Go.

Allowing snowboarder? Again, every other mountain allows it. MRG choose to run a totally different mountain. It's not for everyone. But for those who like what it offers, it's unique and have no competition.

Right next to it, there're many other mountains that: allow boarding, make snow, and have high speed lifts. If MRG do all of the above, it'll just be another one undistinguished from the crowd. Anyone think being a me-too will be a good long term business?

BenedictGomez

I have yet to experience anything like MRG anywhere else.

If you ever have a chance to ski Plattekill in the Catskills, it has a very minimalist approach.

The focus is entirely on the skiing, and not on $19 organic lobster sandwiches, the latest holistic massage technique, or uber high-speed of light 58 person chairs.

Also, they dont groom much.

steamboat1

If you ever have a chance to ski Plattekill in the Catskills, it has a very minimalist approach.

The focus is entirely on the skiing, and not on $19 organic lobster sandwiches, the latest holistic massage technique, or uber high-speed of light 58 person chairs.

Also, they dont groom much.

That's great.

This thread is about MRG.

HowieT2

That's great.

This thread is about MRG.

Im up in the mrv alot and i go to mrg maybe 2-3x times a season out of 40 or so ski days. Of course everyone "loves" the place fir what it stands for, the terrain, the nostalgia. Thats all well and good and i agree with all of it. But bottom line is, i only want to actually ski there when natural conditions are good and its a weekday. Thats why my pass is at sugarbush, and why for most people, mrg doesnt work a good part of the time.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Im up in the mrv alot and i go to mrg maybe 2-3x times a season out of 40 or so ski days. Of course everyone "loves" the place fir what it stands for, the terrain, the nostalgia. Thats all well and good and i agree with all of it. But bottom line is, i only want to actually ski there when natural conditions are good and its a weekday. Thats why my pass is at sugarbush, and why for most people, mrg doesnt work a good part of the time.

Yes, I agree....Its the type of place you hit when the snow is good or during a spring corn day.....When you hit MRG on days like that it can't be beat.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is looking more and more like the annual snowboarder complaining about MRG thread to me. By this definition then Alta and Deer Valley are "fails" too. They can't control the weather...but it looks like we have a long-overdue pattern change.