• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MSR Stove Question

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wondering if any of you have experience with The MSR Pocket Rocket stove:

pocketrocket.jpg

I'm looking for something light and that can be used for like the one or so trips a year that need one...and it does not need much maintenance.

Any thoughts?

cbcbd

I have the Pocket Rocket... no complaints.. it does what it has to do. I use it for Summer and usually am boiling water, never really preparing meals that require simmering, which I don't think it's as good at.

If I was to get a stove now, though, I'd get something with a built in starter - although I just use a lighter and it's good to have one of those with you anyway.

I can fit my pocket rocket (without the plastic case it comes in) into my 1L pot (along with bent titanium spork, pot holder, soap, brush), so that's nice and convenient.

SkiDog

I have this stove as well..I like it a lot. Boils fast. Light. Easy to use. I believe they make a model with a piezio ignition, but I could be wrong that could be another manufacturer, giga maybe, same idea though.

Only thing I worry slightly about is you can't guage how much fuel you have, that and the disposal of those nasty little butane containers..environmental hazard.

Check out VFFT message board. They have a plethora of threads on this topic and MANY great reviews and suggestions.

M

ctenidae

Personally, I'm a fan of my Whisperlite. It'll burn damn near anything, it's light (and you can take just the amount of fuel you need), and it's pretty well bulletproof.

I've heard good things about the Rocket, though, but I'm always a little concerned about butane when temps start dropping.

thetrailboss

Staff member
No stove for me....yet at least. Ms. TB is not into the backpacking thing, which makes it difficult.

dmc

Personally, I'm a fan of my Whisperlite. It'll burn damn near anything, it's light (and you can take just the amount of fuel you need), and it's pretty well bulletproof.

I've heard good things about the Rocket, though, but I'm always a little concerned about butane when temps start dropping.

me too.. Whisperlites are pretty reliable in all kinds of conditions.. and in a pinch can burn anything flamable...
I've had one forever...

hammer

After looking at a variety of stoves, I got one of these:

pcsblackf.jpg

If I was doing cold weather/high altitude backpacking I'd guess that a multi-fuel stove would be the way to go, but the JetBoil looked like a compact and convenient system. I'll be doing a test run on the stove this weekend...

SkiDog

After looking at a variety of stoves, I got one of these:

pcsblackf.jpg

If I was doing cold weather/high altitude backpacking I'd guess that a multi-fuel stove would be the way to go, but the JetBoil looked like a compact and convenient system. I'll be doing a test run on the stove this weekend...

Did you buy it with the attachment for regular pots, or just the cup?

M

hammer

Did you buy it with the attachment for regular pots, or just the cup?

M
I bought the attachment for regular pots because I wanted the stabilizer base. There is also a larger JetBoil pan that you can purchase but I'm holding off until I have a chance to try the system out. I'd guess that I don't need to use the JetBoil pan anyway.

cbcbd

Looks like JetBoil has some competition...any word on what this will cost? Didn't see anything on the MSR web site.
yeah, nothing on their site yet but there have been tests and it's going to cost around $150!!!! Ouch!
But apparently very efficient, more than the Jetboil. I also saw a compare between the Jetboil, the Reactor and a third stove - I wish I could remember the name of it because it beat out both Jetboil and Reactor in a lot of categories.

SkiDog

My next stove will be this one:

msrreactor2.jpg

Saw this the other day in my backpacker magazine. Sure does look like JetBoil has some competition. I still am trying to stray from the canister models...too much to throw away and carry for that matter...im going white gas this season.....whisperlite I think.

M

hammer

yeah, nothing on their site yet but there have been tests and it's going to cost around $150!!!! Ouch!
But apparently very efficient, more than the Jetboil. I also saw a compare between the Jetboil, the Reactor and a third stove - I wish I could remember the name of it because it beat out both Jetboil and Reactor in a lot of categories.
For $70 more (MSRP) I hope it's more efficient...:roll:

hammer

I've had a chance to use the JetBoil a few times now...I don't have experience with any other stoves, but this one seems to do a real good job of boiling water and I like how you can pack everything into the cup. I'd suggest getting the optional pot support and stabilizer...the stove isn't all that stable on the ground by itself.

I haven't tried using it with a regular pan but the reviews I've read state that the stove doesn't work as well with regular pans.

I'm considering getting the French Press coffee attachment and trying that out as well.

SkiDog

I've had a chance to use the JetBoil a few times now...I don't have experience with any other stoves, but this one seems to do a real good job of boiling water and I like how you can pack everything into the cup. I'd suggest getting the optional pot support and stabilizer...the stove isn't all that stable on the ground by itself.

I haven't tried using it with a regular pan but the reviews I've read state that the stove doesn't work as well with regular pans.

I'm considering getting the French Press coffee attachment and trying that out as well.

Jetboil now makes a model that is used for pots.

M