• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Abram lodge fire

WoodCore

That sucks. At least it was in the heat of summer and not the middle of the winter season.

Glenn

Hopefully, then can cleanup and rebuild in time. I guess alot depends on how much water damage happened to the lower levels.

bvibert

Staff member
I guess alot depends on how much water damage happened to the lower levels.

That's what I was thinking too. Sounded like a big fire though, I bet a lot of water went into that structure. The articles mention salvaging merchandise from the retail shop in the building though, so maybe there's hope?

Riverskier

That's what I was thinking too. Sounded like a big fire though, I bet a lot of water went into that structure. The articles mention salvaging merchandise from the retail shop in the building though, so maybe there's hope?

The retail shop is at the opposite end of the lodge from where the fire was. Not sure salvaging the merchandise is too much of a good sign unless they can somehow salvage part of the building. By the pictures I am guessing at the very least that the half of the lodge that caught fire will be a total loss and have to be torn down. They seemd confident last night that they would rebuild in time for the Winter. I sure hope so.

bvibert

Staff member
The retail shop is at the opposite end of the lodge from where the fire was. Not sure salvaging the merchandise is too much of a good sign unless they can somehow salvage part of the building. By the pictures I am guessing at the very least that the half of the lodge that caught fire will be a total loss and have to be torn down. They seemd confident last night that they would rebuild in time for the Winter. I sure hope so.

Thanks for the clarification. Doesn't sound too good indeed...

snowmonster

Terrible news! I pass Mt. Abram all the time on the way to the River and always make a note to visit. I hope they re-open for the season this year so I can make good on my promise. Will definitely show them some love.

2Planker

Weds evenings weather was was Freaky.... We're only about 1 1/2 miles "as the crow flies" and I could see + smell the smoke. It took 6 towns worth of Volly Firefighters to get it under control.

Went over yesterday to take a look, and it's not good. The original part of the lodge (built in 1961) is where the worst damage was.... Looks like the 3rd floor collapsed, 2nd floor, main level of the lodge had the fire damage, and the ground level got all the water damage...

Permitting up here takes for ever, so it's gonna be real tight to get it done for ski season. At least Abram doesn't open until the 2nd/3rd weekend in Dec usually...

Owners are w/ Hancock Lumber, so that will certainly help !

Last edited:

Breeze

Wouldn't be too worried about this one. Mt Abrams is the area's generational cradle of skiing for locals, despite the big-bucks SR competition.

Where do you think many of the Bethel Firefighters who bring money to MHS learned to ski? Where do you think a lot of the locally based SR ski patrol and Perfect Turn Instructors first learned to ski?

Where do you think our resident local and long term volunteer emergency response staff learned to ski?

They are all cradle Bullwinkles.

State Fire Marshall is done, wait now for the insurance adjuster, bets from here is that Greenwood will issue a building permit ASAP on the Code Enforcement Officer's initials and won't even need a selectman's meeting to review.

The list of local contractors to be first on the spot> Cross Brothers, Jerome Holt/Earthworks, Dennis Wilson & Co . All demolition and trucking. The list from there will be nearly impossible to keep because so many local contractors will tag team and crew-in with others to make it happen in a timely manner.

Sad to see the damage, but I do believe this will be a quick recovery from a hard hit.

Breeze

loafasaur

This article from the Lewiston Sun Journal sums it up nicely:

http://www.sunjournal.com/river-valley/story/1056548

I cut my teeth at Abram back in the Jurassic, so I'm partial, but it's a great hill. Surprising variety: groomers, trees, bumps, steeps, and famous for being novice-friendly. The new owners are starting their 3rd or 4th year now. The prior owner was a widely-acknowledged jerk, and the new guys have done a good job re-establishing rapport with a very loyal customer base and the Town of Greenwood/Locke Mills. They have also started an impressive junior racing program led by former Olympian Julie Pariesien and former US coach Tim LaVallee. Top-notch staff and tekkie stuff for kids whose parents can't afford private ski schools. They're starting to make an impact at the Eastern level. That wide trail down the middle that you see when for some reason you keep driving to SR? That's the Boris Badinov trail. It's perfect for race training, and management keeps it in top condition for the kids.

The part of the lodge that got completely toasted is actually the NEWEST part. The 1960 original is the slender wing off to skier's right of the part where the heavy burn was. The addition far skier's right came next, circa 1968. The part that got completely fried was ticket sales and such in the basement, Loose Boots Lounge on the main floor, and administration on the top floor. There is a 2nd, smaller lodge at the Westside novice area. Eyeballing the photos and video at the Lewiston newspaper site, the older 2 parts of the main building look pretty intact although there's probably a lot of smoke and water damage. Good thing they got their inventory out. Their permitting should be minimal if they rebuild on the same footprint within a year, and as noted upthread the town should be cooperateive with permits and contractors (in this economy) readily available.

So's here's hoping for a feel-good story for Mt. Abram, that they'll start pounding nails quickly and get a building up--even if not totally finished--in time for next season. And that the publicity and positive vibe gets a few more folks to let up on the gas and turn left in Locke Mills. They will be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.mtabram.com/ (No, I'm not on their payroll.)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is really sad that the newest part got torched. I really enjoyed the bar. They had a lot of funky quirks. I remember a bunch of really old skis lined up on the wall in the bathroom. The older part of the lodge was run down and showing its wear. Not that any fire is preferable, but it is too bad that the newer part of the lodge got burned but not the older part.