• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

reefer

Sundance lodge is a lot less crowded on the weekends ever since Vail chased all those buses away.
This is a change for the better IMO. Especially with the new lift install. Drop them off at the Main Base and park the busses down the hill. There were a few yesterday bringing groups. And I agree groups on buses aren't close to a priority anymore. The good old days of group rates for ski clubs and bus groups is another on the list of "all good things come to an end".

ctdubl07

Wait. Seriously? any tunes?
I heard it near zero times this year....likely a declining hope the farther we get from the heydays of the BT bump scene, internationals not necessarily knowing how to crank the system up and the fact they have about 3 speakers left that hardly work.

ctdubl07

abandoned Narrow Gauge (natural). abandoned iron run (natural), abandoned Rusty Nail (natural - they should give that back) abandoned lower wild lodge (natural), abandoned upper ex (snow making), abandoned ripcord (snow making), abandoned the farm between nitro & half pipe (snow making), abandoned pipe (snowmaking), abandoned high traverse between little john & canyon, (mixed), nixed bumps on bear trap, mine shaft is cut in half with snowmobile lane, They could have opened many of the natural runs for a much longer window between late Jan to Friday 2/23. rope dropping on north face does not happen very often.
For clarity, what is your point by stating many of the natural trails are abandoned? They can't be opened when it doesn't sufficiently snow. Climate change is not a management decision last I checked.

SLyardsale

For clarity, what is your point by stating many of the natural trails are abandoned? They can't be opened when it doesn't sufficiently snow. Climate change is not a management decision last I checked.
I believe they officially abandoned Narrow Gauge in favor of a snowmobile rout up for ops / patrol. Rusty Nail hasn't been open in 2 years - they should abandon that. Iron Run is a great woodsy throwback - they can open that but choose not to. I think the reason is because it terminates at the pipe and they don't want anyone going into that. Has nothing to do with climate or lack of snow... up to this weekend I would think. Yesterday and today on north face, all they had open was 4 routes groomed flat - Plummet, Freefall Timbers and Chute. Nothing else. Just the snowmaking trails. Little steep, pdf, challenger, boulder pile all had adequate snow to be open - you can view that for yourself. I bet Olympic is doable. Unsure on Jaws. Its pretty obvious they have moved away from allowing you to decide for yourself.

SLyardsale

It sounds like the Mount Snow I loved is pretty much gone. New lifts can't make up for the lack of soul.
yup. it happened fast. they might as well put another new detach up on north face because that is just a 1000 ft vert groomer pod now. make it a heated bubble six with heated seats - thats what you need for 4 groomer runs.

MikeW

That's too bad. Those were some of my favorite little trails. It's one thing if the weather is uncooperative, but we would not want management to get in the "habit" of closing the trails. They would then not open if there is snow.

drjeff

Heard the rain PELTING on my condo window's about 9:30 last night... Said to my wife "ugh!!" Trail count will drop this week based on the forecast and my own on hill observations today for sure. Still LOTS of snow (6 plus feet) on sections of the core trails..

Going to need mother nature to get VERY cooperative soon with cold and snow fall. End of story!

SLyardsale

3/6 rough. Sunbrook closed to preserve snow - i would think its over at sunbrook so they can farm snow. carinthia all closed except gulch to preserve snow. NF - plummet might be done after tomorrow - the top and bottom run out are in rough shape. free fall and chute are ok. main face - feels like they will abandon some to save others. i think we say good bye to south bowl, ego, and middle ex - hopefully not.. pics are from plummet

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

drjeff

As an FYI, the safety netting that had the competiton bump course on the bottom portion of Exhibition closed off the the public the last few months, came down yesterday morning. The 2 sets of jumps are still netted off, but the bumps that athletes and coaches from both Mount Snow and The Stratton Mountain School (their athletes were training on it many days the last few months as well) have spent tons of hours over many weeks, building, shaping and maintaining, is open to the public. It was skiing very nicely yesterday! Hopefully mother nature won't get too uncooperative to the point that mountain ops has to plow it down to keep that part of lower ex open anytime soon

SLyardsale

As an FYI, the safety netting that had the competiton bump course on the bottom portion of Exhibition closed off the the public the last few months, came down yesterday morning. The 2 sets of jumps are still netted off, but the bumps that athletes and coaches from both Mount Snow and The Stratton Mountain School (their athletes were training on it many days the last few months as well) have spent tons of hours over many weeks, building, shaping and maintaining, is open to the public. It was skiing very nicely yesterday! Hopefully mother nature won't get too uncooperative to the point that mountain ops has to plow it down to keep that part of lower ex open anytime soon
Question Dr. : do you know why Stratton Mt School gets to cut the lift line at Mt. Snow like they are part of the Mt Snow seasonal groups and VT Academy.

drjeff

Question Dr. : do you know why Stratton Mt School gets to cut the lift line at Mt. Snow like they are part of the Mt Snow seasonal groups and VT Academy.
From what I have heard, there are tens of thousands of rea$on$, and since most of the time they were training midweek with a relatively small number of athletes, it was viewed as not a big deal, especially since the SMS Coaches contributed lots of hours midweek of course building and upkeep, whereas the Mount Snow coaches and athletes are generally weekend only. VT Academy doesn't have any Mogul athletes this year

SLyardsale

From what I have heard, there are tens of thousands of rea$on$, and since most of the time they were training midweek with a relatively small number of athletes, it was viewed as not a big deal, especially since the SMS Coaches contributed lots of hours midweek of course building and upkeep, whereas the Mount Snow coaches and athletes are generally weekend only. VT Academy doesn't have any Mogul athletes this year
I would say... it's not a good look to have Stratton MT Schools kids cutting the line at Mt. Snow in front of paying pass holders on a busy Friday.

Your saying Stratton Mt School paid Brian a fee to use the cutting line ?

drjeff

I would say... it's not a good look to have Stratton MT Schools kids cutting the line at Mt. Snow in front of paying pass holders on a busy Friday.

Your saying Stratton Mt School paid Brian a fee to use the cutting line ?
As I have heard, SMS had a not small amount of $$ arrangement with Mount Snow that covered some of the added snowmaking costs for that part of lower Ex (there's a solid 6 to 10ft of snow the entire length of the course), the arrangement to keep that part of the trail netted off through the state Championships this past weekend, and then the ability for their athletes when they were training on it, to use the service entrance. And other mountain teams using the service entrance is something that often happens when the mountain is hosting weekend races or competitions, and many other mountains that Mount Snow athletes participate at in competitions have the same arrangement

SLyardsale

As I have heard, SMS had a not small amount of $$ arrangement with Mount Snow that covered some of the added snowmaking costs for that part of lower Ex (there's a solid 6 to 10ft of snow the entire length of the course), the arrangement to keep that part of the trail netted off through the state Championships this past weekend, and then the ability for their athletes when they were training on it, to use the service entrance. And other mountain teams using the service entrance is something that often happens when the mountain is hosting weekend races or competitions, and many other mountains that Mount Snow athletes participate at in competitions have the same arrangement
great - so next year, does the course get built at stratton so we can siphon off all the cutters and have a lower exhibition trail that isn't cut in half and have gravel coming thru the bottle neck directly next to the course (that area clearly did NOT have 6-10ft blown on it - would you agree ?? ) is this a reciprocal deal ? mean while, no bumps on bear trap, no snow making on ripcord and no rope drops on the natural trails.

Newpylong

What exact section of Lower Ex is this course on? The trail is pretty much useless above Lodge cutover since they stopped making snow on old Upper Ex and with Ego not running.