• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow firing Guns Sunday?

k123

Looks like they may be having some issues with the system. From the web cams this morning all of the Standard guns have been shut down. I wonder if they blew another water main?

I'm surprised they aren't on right now.. seems pretty cold up there.

From mountsnow.com:

Updated at:
November 6 at 11:47 am

Launch Pad is getting a full dose of fan gun love while conditions hold up in preparation for our annual early season rail garden set-up and fundraising event. If you haven’t heard, we’ll be spinning the Discovery Shuttle this Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., our park crew will have a ton of features set up for your jibbing enjoyment and lift tickets are going to be just $10 (free with your season pass, but donations are welcome) with ALL proceeds going towards Sandy relief. It’s going to be a great day and hopefully the snow we are able to put down will last through the weekend so we’ll have as many as three days of early season fun on snow.
In the spirit of truth in snow reporting, we made the difficult decision to suspend our top-to-bottom snowmaking campaign yesterday afternoon due to the 10-14 day forecast calling for extended periods of mild temperatures starting this weekend. When we say mild, we’re talking 50 and sunny for multiple days starting Sunday. In addition, forecasted temperatures between now and this weekend won’t give us an opportunity to make a sustainable amount of snow.

drjeff

Classic Mount Snow. I predict an early December opening.

All along(as in if you talk with the GM and other admins since summertime) they've said that their target date for the official opening is Thanksgiving week(pretty much their target date the last few years), with a "soft opening" with a mini park on the beginner hill with proceeds going to charity happening sometime around halloween when they get a window to make some snow.

I think that the honesty of their explanation is great, and frankly i'm sure that while many Mount Snow regulars might be slightly dissapointed by this, we get their business model and also know that with the snowmaking firepower they have, when the temp window returns, they'll be open pretty quickly. I also think that as Mount Snow regulars, we know that our season, weather permitting is basically Thanksgiving week until the 2nd weekend of April.

Having had to watch roughly 5 miles of early season machine made piles that probably used up between 50-100k of the snowmaking budget basically totally melt out during a couple of the last seasons early attempts to open, as someone who will likely get 40+ days at Mount Snow this season, I'd rather see the snowmaking budget used prudently and then hopefully have some left over come late January and February to pile some more snow on some of the trails that are great fun to ski in late March and April, rather than blow some base snow, with a decent chance that it could melt out before the target opening date on some trails that i'll probably end up skiing close to 100 times by seasons end.

The ski addict side of me is a bit dissapointed, the businessman side of me gets it 100%

Newpylong

They will look into their "crystal ball" and keep delaying opening. I can't stand their top to bottom approach that has crushed their November openings the last few years. Make snow on the North Face and get the place open. Work down Canyon from there to the bottom. Okemo is opening later this week, if they want to compete in Southern VT they need to do the same.

I understand the place being a business but the bean counting pisses me off sometimes. It reminds me of the first few years of Powdr at Killington and their top to bottom or nothing approach.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

They will look into their "crystal ball" and keep delaying opening. I can't stand their top to bottom approach that has crushed their November openings the last few years. Make snow on the North Face and get the place open. Work down Canyon from there to the bottom. Okemo is opening later this week, if they want to compete in Southern VT they need to do the same.

I understand the place being a business but the bean counting pisses me off sometimes. It reminds me of the first few years of Powdr at Killington and their top to bottom or nothing approach.

I don't think they want to compete for first to open in South Vermont, they just want to keep what ever snow they make. Especially with warm up coming.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2