• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Snow Report Please

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Daughter wants to go to Mt. Snow for NYD.
According to their web site it isn't looking pretty.
Guess they lost a lot of acres in the rain.
34% open
Only 1 BD on North Face.
Sunbrook area looks closed.

Can any Mt. Snow skiers/riders give a honest report??

Euler

I didn't ski today but my daughter did. Two things I'll tell you: 1) The place was in a man made snow blizzard throughout the day, and 2) my daughter reported conditions were great. She skied Sunbrook (Thanks Walt and Beartrap), and the snow report lists 2 legit north face trails. We are forecast to get 3-6 inches of natural snow tonight, so things should be looking good by New Years Day. I doubt the % will be much over 50% open, but the stuff that's open will probably be in great shape for you and your daughter. Good luck with wherever you choose.

Glenn

Mt. Snow has changed how they open trails. While they're % open isn't as huge as other mountains, they're pretty much only opening trails with good coverage. So they'll have 50% open that's solidly covered vs having 80% open...and 30% of that is crappy WROD with a touch of bare spots.

drjeff

Mt. Snow has changed how they open trails. While they're % open isn't as huge as other mountains, they're pretty much only opening trails with good coverage. So they'll have 50% open that's solidly covered vs having 80% open...and 30% of that is crappy WROD with a touch of bare spots.

Actually how they're reporting this year is a percentage basis is of total acres open, NOT percentage of total trails open. Which as of last check was just over 60% with 6" down already and still falling and snowmaking going on (atleast portions of) 18 trails/parks. Most of their snowmaking trails are now open. Most of the natural snow trails aren't(yet atleast).

As Mount Snow explained the rationale behind their change in snowreporting, basically and acre is an acre, that doesn't change from ski area to ski area. Trail counting does. As they put it, if you take their Snowdance trail which is just under 20 acres in size, that 1 trail has more skiable terrain than I believe it was 6 or 7 of their other trails combined.

vcunning

Just got off the slopes . . . very, very crowded today. I think it's the combination holiday weekend and 6 inches of very light powder that dropped this morning. It really didn't start snowing until about 7 am and pretty much tapered off at noon.

We avoided the crowds by doing laps off of the Sunbrook quad (slow, but zero line). The POW was great.

Snow will be good, but Euler is correct . . . there are high winds predicted tomorrow.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Just got off the slopes . . . very, very crowded today. I think it's the combination holiday weekend and 6 inches of very light powder that dropped this morning. It really didn't start snowing until about 7 am and pretty much tapered off at noon.

We avoided the crowds by doing laps off of the Sunbrook quad (slow, but zero line). The POW was great.

Snow will be good, but Euler is correct . . . there are high winds predicted tomorrow.

cool they finally got that running. it wasn't running when i was last there. i wish it was so i could have lapped all the blowing in there. but since they closed and you had to hike over it was just my tracks all day.

tcharron

Daughter wants to go to Mt. Snow for NYD.
According to their web site it isn't looking pretty.
Guess they lost a lot of acres in the rain.
34% open
Only 1 BD on North Face.
Sunbrook area looks closed.

Can any Mt. Snow skiers/riders give a honest report??

Also, bear in mind, the entire storm, they where also blasting guns..

Euler

cool they finally got that running. it wasn't running when i was last there. i wish it was so i could have lapped all the blowing in there. but since they closed and you had to hike over it was just my tracks all day.

How'd you get out of Sunbrook that day? Was the Beartrap double spinning?

Newpylong

The snow was pretty sweet last weekend in Sunbrook too. Thanks Walt was ROTD for me. I think the Sunbrook Slug Quad may have been speeded up just a tad. It's still a slow chill ride but it doesn't seem as bad as last year....

vcunning

The snow was pretty sweet last weekend in Sunbrook too. Thanks Walt was ROTD for me. I think the Sunbrook Slug Quad may have been speeded up just a tad. It's still a slow chill ride but it doesn't seem as bad as last year....

So MS took off about 50 chairs last year . . . I think they went from around 190 to 140 chairs with the intent of running it a little faster. But I really didn't notice the difference last year.

We spent most of our early morning runs on Carinthia and Sunbrook last year. It did seem shorter yesterday. But the "getting on the lift" with some young kids didn't seem much of an issue (i.e. not 20% faster).

I can't wait for the rest of Sunbrook to open. I love hitting it first thing in the am. 2 hours of skiing alone!

hardline

How'd you get out of Sunbrook that day? Was the Beartrap double spinning?

ya beartrap was going. i would take that out of the sunbrook go back down to the base the take the summit quad back up then hike over to the top of the sunbrook quad. do they play music over there in the spring on the run undre the lift. looks like it would be fun stuff in the spring

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
Thanks to all for their input.

As it turned out due to the weather and someone feeling "under the weather" we did not go out at all today. Well I did, but only to clear the driveway.

Newpylong

ya beartrap was going. i would take that out of the sunbrook go back down to the base the take the summit quad back up then hike over to the top of the sunbrook quad. do they play music over there in the spring on the run undre the lift. looks like it would be fun stuff in the spring

The music usually plays whenever the lift is open... it was playing last Saturday even though Beartrap wasn't open yet (the trail).

That is seriously a sweet little bump run cause the s now is usually very soft and the bumps are good. The chair is a quick ride with no line.

hardline

The music usually plays whenever the lift is open... it was playing last Saturday even though Beartrap wasn't open yet (the trail).

That is seriously a sweet little bump run cause the s now is usually very soft and the bumps are good. The chair is a quick ride with no line.

it is the perfect example of FG lift should be used