• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Terrain at the Rivah: There go the secret stashes!

snowmonster

I'm happy that they added new terrain but some of these have been hush-hush adventures until now. Oh, well, there are still some secrets on the mountain. Go ski 'em, boys!

http://www.sundayriver.com/Corporate/Media/PressReleases/Present/2013/New_Terrain.html

[h=3]Sunday River Resort Adds 75 Acres of Terrain[/h]Thursday, August 22, 2013

Social Media:

Sunday River Resort Adds 75 Acres of Terrain
Resort becomes second largest in New England and makes good on promise for more skiable terrain thanks to a new terrain park trail and glades
Newry, Maine (August 13, 2013)—For those skiers and snowboards who like to venture off trail and into the woods, drop into a superpipe, hit some rails or even jumps, Sunday River Resort is excited to announce the addition of T72, a 15-acre terrain park trail, and five new gladed areas for the 2013/14 winter season.

This new terrain adds up to 75 acres for a total of 820 acres of skiable terrain at the resort. These additions make Sunday River the second largest resort in New England behind sister resort, Sugarloaf (1,056 acres), also located in Maine.

More information about Sunday River’s new terrain is as follows:

• T72: Located on North Peak between Sunday River’s 3D and Dream Maker trails, T72 is a 15-acre terrain park trail designed with the help of Snow Park Technologies and Olympic hopeful, Simon Dumont. T72 will include a jump line, rail features, and superpipe, and is serviced by two lifts.

• Hardball (extension): This double black diamond glade on Sunday River’s White Cap peak, located between the Shockwave and White Heat trails, grows from 3.2 acres to 13.4 acres thanks to extensive tree work.

• Chutzpah (extension): Another double black diamond glade on White Cap, Chutzpah follows Hardball’s lead and grows from 5.7 acres to 29.4 acres. In addition to plenty more elbow room, skiers and snowboarders will also enjoy a second entrance off of the Obsession trail.

• North Woods: Found between Sunday River’s 3D and North Exposure trails, North Woods is a new double black diamond glade that extends for a total of 6.1 acres.

• Super Nova: For any skier or snowboarder who has ever eyed the Aurora liftline from the Aurora Peak Quad, it’s now 4.2 acres of gladed double black diamond terrain thanks to a new entry off of the Airglow trail and exit into the Celestial glade.

• Poppy Fields: Follow the Kansas trail (Sunday River’s version of the Yellow Brick Road) past the Emerald City trail and drop into this new 15.8 acre double black diamond glade which ‘pops’ skiers and snowboarders back out onto the Cyclone trail.
For more information on Sunday River this new terrain, visit sundayriver.com or contact Darcy Morse at dmorse@sundayriver.com or 207-824-5243.
About Sunday River—A true four-season destination, Sunday River is the snowmaking capital of the world with eight interconnected peaks of world-class skiing and snowboarding, and the most slopeside lodging in the east including two Grand Hotels. In the summer months, the resort offers 20 miles of lift-serviced mountain biking, zipline tours, and golf at the highly acclaimed Sunday River Golf Club. Sunday River is a member of the Boyne Resorts family of resorts and attractions and is located in Newry, Maine, amidst the scenic Mahoosuc Range. Follow us: sundayriver.com, facebook.com/sundayriver, and @sundayriver.

Vortex

Beat me to it. Most of this was known. Still plenty of spots not mentioned. Can wait to ski super Nova. I think this is a pretty big deal.

snoseek

Just the fact they did some expanding in Hardball/Chutzpah is a sweet deal IMO. There's still plenty of off map stuff. When the base and snow is right SR has some really good glade skiing and getting better it seems.

snoseek

Seems like they just want to say they are bigger than Killington lol

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app
Oh No you didn't bring up Killington in a SR thread. Here we go, Commence downward spiral:popcorn:

ScottySkis

My dad was a lifetime pass holder, he taught me that Killington is the best. Period. You think your place is better, get out. LOL

Every place has good and bad about it. Personally if K and Sunday River both got the same snow fall, I bet more people on would go to the River.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
I need to get to Sunday River this year, looks similar in set up to Killington. Being from NYC, Killington is closer, a lot bigger (counting Pico plus the 3000 foot vertical) I can see the choice being a lot harder for someone from Boston.

Smellytele

I need to get to Sunday River this year, looks similar in set up to Killington. Being from NYC, Killington is closer, a lot bigger (counting Pico plus the 3000 foot vertical) I can see the choice being a lot harder for someone from Boston.

Counting Pico? Really? I am assuming this is a troll

MadMadWorld

No, I am just new here :) no love for Pico?

Welcome. There are actually quite a few people that really like Pico on the board. I think most people enjoy Pico because they see it as a separate area from Killington and has its own vibe. I would agree with Tele, I never think of it as part of Killington.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Thanks, I rarely visit Killington without going to Pico. The new management was smart and finally let Pico be Pico :) I had a season pass last year, I went for the 20s season pass at Sugarbush this year for a change of pace, I also love MRG so I could not say no. Sorry this got so off topic, I need to do a Maine trip this year, never skied out there because of my vt passes

Smellytele

Thanks, I rarely visit Killington without going to Pico. The new management was smart and finally let Pico be Pico :) I had a season pass last year, I went for the 20s season pass at Sugarbush this year for a change of pace, I also love MRG so I could not say no. Sorry this got so off topic, I need to do a Maine trip this year, never skied out there because of my vt passes

Welcome aboard. I really am not that mean. Well sometimes...

xwhaler

Welcome. There are actually quite a few people that really like Pico on the board. I think most people enjoy Pico because they see it as a separate area from Killington and has its own vibe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Love Pico! Totally its own area seperate from K which is a great thing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app