• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Terrain at the Rivah: There go the secret stashes!

dlague

Personally, I used to hate/avoid Killington, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Loon, Stowe and Sunapee because of the way they were marketed, pricing and target markets. Then I found deals that let me give it a try and actually like Sunday River and Killington. We now ski them at least twice per season with the right deal! I am definitely not their target market!

Vortex

Back to the topic. The question to me is, is the addition of the new terrain going to change views of skiing Sunday River, try it, or leave it off the list, or ski it more. This makes little difference if you were never going here anyway. To the Ks skiers. I think they would like Sr. If they had not pushed the envelope years ago... the question would be, would we ever see the season extended on both ends again.

Last edited:

Edd

Back to the topic. The question to me is, is the addition of the new terrain going to change views of skiing Sunday River, try it, or leave it off the list, or ski it more. This makes little difference if you were never going here anyway. To the Ks skiers. I think they would like Sr. If they had not pushed the envelope years ago... the question would be, would we ever see the season extended on both ends again.

Sounds like 2 different questions?

Will this change people's view of skiing SR? I strongly doubt it. If someone insists that there is little challenge to be found there, then they just aren't trying.

Will the season extend on both ends? Well, they virtually lead the pack on the early side. I don't see what terrain like this has to do with that.

dlague

Sounds like 2 different questions?

Will this change people's view of skiing SR? I strongly doubt it. If someone insists that there is little challenge to be found there, then they just aren't trying.

Will the season extend on both ends? Well, they virtually lead the pack on the early side. I don't see what terrain like this has to do with that.

Agreed! First of all ski areas are not catering to the extreme skier! They go after the sweet spot - int. to adv.. Adding trails is like advertising fuel! For example we are talking about it!

I am more apt to head to Killington for early season turns since they are in a better location but SR can push ahead - helps keep competition on their toes!

Vortex

Good points. I was getting at this thread was about Sunday River and its new Glades and park. 1st thought/question i.e. will this change how and if you ski there? I will be in the woods more. I think some more park skiers will visit the River. 2nd point was why bitch about Sr If you are K fan? I think their actions have increased completion and forced K and other areas to adjust the season. Its a win for the industry. Even if you don't ski a big resort regularly and love a local hill.... With a longer season you can ski if you choose to. A choice without the SR lead, never would have been available.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Love the River but..All double blacks?Way too many double black ratings at SR.I lost count at around 15.While were throwing the beast into this thread I'll just say Cannon is proud to have no double blacks listed.Not even Tramline or Kinsman.Carry on.

It kind of is a joke to me. They lose credibility in my mind when a trail like Top Gun, Vortex, White Heat are all double diamonds. Even if the off map stuff is much harder.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

snowmonster

Back to the topic. The question to me is, is the addition of the new terrain going to change views of skiing Sunday River, try it, or leave it off the list, or ski it more. This makes little difference if you were never going here anyway. To the Ks skiers. I think they would like Sr.

I always maintained that Sunday River's glades were underrated. This new terrain may convince more adventurous skiers to give the place a whirl. SR has the family and cruiser crowd convinced. Now, it's time to add some teeth. SR should promote its glade skiing and boundary to boundary policy more aggresively.

If they had not pushed the envelope years ago... the question would be, would we ever see the season extended on both ends again.

When SR got into the the first to open game, it reignited the rivalry with Killington. I remember one year when a case of beer made its way from Vermont to Newry, Maine. Amid the trash talking between the two camps, some AZers said that this can only be good for the consumers. Killington has responded in a big way by pushing opening and closing dates. Regardless of who wins the race this year, skiers like us win out in the end.

Edd

Sorry but someone has to step in here. SR is super flat and gets no natural snow!!!!! It has no challenging terrain and White Heat is a complete joke!!!

Got it?! Kmart rules!!!

Edd

Funny sh-t. I will be on Super Nova.

Speaking of that trail...not sure if I've posted this before. One day I was on the Aurora quad alone. There was a good amount of fresh snow from a recent storm. Maybe halfway up I notice a set of tracks below the lift that came from nowhere..meaning, there were no tracks from the woods that connected with the tracks below.

My chair goes directly over the tracks and I'm still staring at them trying to figure it out. My gaze turns to the chair behind me and there are two young snowboarders on that chair looking at me. One of them says "yep, that was us!" Then they both jump out the chair right on top of those tracks. Funny moment.

Vortex

I have see some jumpers there too. This will get rid of all of the that. The woods edge of this new trail should be good too. It has been thinned for the Bike trails. This will be a full glade as well as a trail. Can't wait?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have see some jumpers there too. This will get rid of all of the that. The woods edge of this new trail should be good too. It has been thinned for the Bike trails. This will be a full glade as well as a trail. Can't wait?

Chair is pretty low to the ground right there. Maybe 10 feet? I had contemplated jumping once when the lift had stopped for about 10 minutes. In hindsight, I should have. The lift got going again and then stopped for a solid 30 right over the junction of Airglow and Kansas where it's very exposed and high off the ground. Bitter cold day with the wind blasting. I froze my ass off and basically called it a day after the misery. Next time, I'm jumping.

Edd

Chair is pretty low to the ground right there. Maybe 10 feet? I had contemplated jumping once when the lift had stopped for about 10 minutes. In hindsight, I should have. The lift got going again and then stopped for a solid 30 right over the junction of Airglow and Kansas where it's very exposed and high off the ground. Bitter cold day with the wind blasting. I froze my ass off and basically called it a day after the misery. Next time, I'm jumping.

Yeah that drop is fully doable. I've been tempted a few times and that's not something I'd normally do.