• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Terrain at the Rivah: There go the secret stashes!

wa-loaf

Thanks, I rarely visit Killington without going to Pico. The new management was smart and finally let Pico be Pico :) I had a season pass last year, I went for the 20s season pass at Sugarbush this year for a change of pace, I also love MRG so I could not say no. Sorry this got so off topic, I need to do a Maine trip this year, never skied out there because of my vt passes

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

Keep an eye out for the AlpineZone Summit at Sugarloaf.

snoseek

What are you saying no one from NY/NJ so that makes it the "coolest clientele ever"?

Okay that was a troll...
Plenty of nice/cool people from NJ/NY/Conn ect.... I'm just saying that the overall vibe seems to me a lot more laid back in Maine than other places. It's not just me...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Saw the PR, I"ll hold off on posting it since we have the thread for it already :p

I haven't been to SR in years. I should make the trip

snowmonster

Did they name one of these glades "Snowmonster"?

That is a very secret glade, my friend. What is the first rule of Fight Club?

A Killington v Sunday River thread. Something we have never had. Both are great. I chose the River. Both mountains push the envelope and many benefit from that. Sr I believe is more laid back. Many at the River like K too. Pretty strong local community made out of locals and weekenders at the River. Kind of cool Just got to poke around. Back to the thread. Many private stashes will remain that way. I am glad to see some underbrush taken out and some new areas open.

Plenty of nice/cool people from NJ/NY/Conn ect.... I'm just saying that the overall vibe seems to me a lot more laid back in Maine than other places. It's not just me...

The Vibe. Yeah, that's what ultimately attracted me to SR. Really lots of nice laid-back people. It's kind of hard to explain it if you've never experienced it first hand. Some say that the Barker Bar is the center of the Sunday River universe.

dlague

Just catching up on this thread! We ski SR generally once or twice each season using WM 2 fers. Always have fun there - enjoy Foggy Goggle and some beah!

Edd

That is a very secret glade, my friend. What is the first rule of Fight Club?

The Vibe. Yeah, that's what ultimately attracted me to SR. Really lots of nice laid-back people. It's kind of hard to explain it if you've never experienced it first hand. Some say that the Barker Bar is the center of the Sunday River universe.

Had a pass there for a bunch of years and agree very much about the feel of the place. Being a weekday skier (lighter crowds) I just found the Foggy Goggle more convenient than Barker.

dlague

Had a pass there for a bunch of years and agree very much about the feel of the place. Being a weekday skier (lighter crowds) I just found the Foggy Goggle more convenient than Barker.

Ditto on FG as I mentioned earlier!

EPB

The connection between Killington and SR is pretty strong. Pres Smith bought Sunday River and ran it for a while from like 1973-1980. He sent this "manager in training" from Killington to Bethel to run it for him. The guy was named Les Otten.

Killington decided to dump (then tiny) Sunday River and sold it to that Otten guy. That Otten guy used a lot of his Killington training and know-how to build up the place until he...gasp...bought Killington.

In the 1980's and 1990's, whatever Killington did, Sunday River did as well, and vice versa. White Heat? Meant to compete directly with Outer Limits. Both would fight to open first. At one point Otten marketed Sunday River as "New England's Favorite Mountain Chain." Both had lots of Yan lifts because they were inexpensive. Both did lots of R&D with snowmaking technology. Both dealt with hyperbole.

I think when both were head-to-head things were good for skiers.

But I think that terrain-wise both are quite different....IMHO. Killington is honestly one big mountain massif with ski trails falling off on different aspects. It is much higher and is more of what I would call a big mountain experience. Sunday River is one long ridgeline with multiple trail pods that interconnect so that more than anything you ski from one side to the other. It does not get as much snow. It is not one big mountain. Sunday River perfected what others would go on to imitate--wide, manicured, cruisers that the beginner and lower intermediate loves. Ego terrain. Killington, on the other hand, had all sorts of terrain that all got widened out to handle traffic. Some sweeping generalizations I'm sure for some, but I enjoy a good discussion.

I've skied both quite a bit. Both are definitely must-do's for any New England skier. I prefer the more laid back vibe of SR to that of Killington, but I had quite a few good days at Killington and you must admit that it is a behemoth.

This is just about spot on as far as I'm concerned. I do enjoy the terrain at K a hair more than that of Sunday River.... Most of my days at SR have come in the early season around Xmas vacation week as an alternative to Attitash (during the ASC days). It's been a long time since I've been there mid winter. Assuming that they give out 2 for 1 vouchers at the Warren Miller film this year, I'll be back this year when the glades are open.

bigbog

I need to get to Sunday River this year, looks similar in set up to Killington. Being from NYC, Killington is closer, a lot bigger (counting Pico plus the 3000 foot vertical) I can see the choice being a lot harder for someone from Boston.

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

If you can get away for a Friday and/or Monday...all that are at SR are diehards and locals.
A few lodges/inns I know around the Bethel & outskirts have a person up into the early AM hours (of Friday), so AM check-ins aren't difficult.

8/27 EDIT: HA, forgot to add in "Nothing that you probably didn't know"...;-)

Last edited:

xwhaler

I'm looking at doing a Mt Abram Saturday for the RSNE tour and SR Sunday using WM vouchers this winter sometime with my wife. Do need to explore SR more as I've really only ever done it early season when limited terrain is available. Prob will look at the Bethel Inn for lodging

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

If you can get away for a Friday and/or Monday...all that are at SR are diehards and locals.
A few lodges/inns I know around the Bethel & outskirts have a person up into the early AM hours (of Friday), so AM check-ins aren't difficult.

Same as Catskills.

dlague

I'm looking at doing a Mt Abram Saturday for the RSNE tour and SR Sunday using WM vouchers this winter sometime with my wife. Do need to explore SR more as I've really only ever done it early season when limited terrain is available. Prob will look at the Bethel Inn for lodging

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app

Ditto!

Vortex

Sr River is not really busy midweek. Compared to other larger mountains, I really do not find it busy on weekends. Don't be in the Barker lift line at 10.30, Same with Jordan. The lesson kids all leave South Ridge at 9, skip that too. I ski on ski off most days. If you ski the locke triple, White Heat chair, north peak chair, quantum triple or Aurora quad you get a bunch or runs in with most days under a two minute wait, most time ski on ski off. You will see a bunch of people who take Friday or Monday off regularly at the River. Seems no one works 5 days in the winter that skis there. I decided to join that plan two years ago. Still not busy, but there are people around and specials on food and so forth.

bigbog

..........You will see a bunch of people who take Friday or Monday off regularly at the River. Seems no one works 5 days in the winter that skis there. I decided to join that plan two years ago. Still not busy, but there are people around and specials on food and so forth.

Bob R is, in essence, talkin' about Patrollers....
Am getting back to work:daffy: and have found the grease to apply to my hips...to keep pressure applied to Both:-o skis dude.
Will catch up with ya' sometime this coming season...

But am open to any hikes anyone can attend...

Steve
(Bangor)

Last edited:

Vortex

Bob R is, in essence, talkin' about Patrollers....
Am getting back to work:daffy: and have found the grease to apply to my hips...to keep pressure applied to Both:-o skis dude.
Will catch up with ya' sometime this coming season...

But am open to any hikes anyone can attend...

Steve
(Bangor)
I don't see myself getting up to the River until Columbus day/Fall festival. After that I am tied up most weekends until mid November with Kids sports. I may do the Sat ride up and grab some Runs Sunday Morning, but we shall see.

SIKSKIER

Love the River but..All double blacks?Way too many double black ratings at SR.I lost count at around 15.While were throwing the beast into this thread I'll just say Cannon is proud to have no double blacks listed.Not even Tramline or Kinsman.Carry on.