• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Night Skiing Dark Areas

powderman

Since High School, I've only night skiied once at Catamount and that was pretty well lit. I can't remember if Greek Peak was well lit or not.

Sky

Wachusett is well lit. They close a few trails, none of any consequence.

What they do have open has good lighting. I'm sure the night skiing is a huge part of their skier visits.

Hawkshot99

Jiminey is were I night ski. Dont really have a problem with dark spots. I love ducking into the woods, or down a closed trail on a moon lit night.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
The Kancamagus Recreation Center has a very well lit slope, but, after you unload from the ropetow there is one trail you can take down with no lights. Just enough light comes through the trees from the main slope, and you can take a little break by the bonfire halfway down on certain nights.

Greg

Staff member
Sundown has one notorious spot for bad lighting on Nor'easter, right after the start of the bumps by the sun deck. Of course last season, they had a lot of dark spots when N'E was having that lighting issue. ;) I recall one of the lines on Temptor have an annoying dark spot too. Overall though, not too bad on the lighting and a fun place to rip bumps at night.

dmc

We used to seek out the dark patches at Big Boulder and Camelback back in the day..

We got pretty "electric" a couple nights - skiing in the dark is pretty trippy... Camelback ski patrol just told us to leave one night... while shaking their heads in disgust...

yeah it was stupid..

Zand

Wachusett was a pretty dark area during a portion of 24-hour night last year. It was safer skiing lightless Balance Rock in the dark than Conifer in the dark.

TheBEast

Berkshire East is generally well lit, except for one spot on Cloud and a few on Outback or when maintenance gets lazy and doesn't fix lights when they go out! :argue:

:snow:

Terry

Shawnee Peak is well lit and I don't recall any bad dark spots. It is fun to duck into closed trails on moon lit nights.

I feel that Blue mountain is lit fairly well. All the trails are 100 percent lit for night skiing but there are always a few lights out here and there which means dark spots. When I enter a dark area...I just make sure to straight run and not make any crazy low turns..just in case there's a divot, hole or snowsnake. I sometimes feel that the lighting during night skiing is way better than the late afternoon pre-dusk shadows. Proper goggles for night skiing are important...Rose colored seem to work out well although I often rock my Steezy Blue goggles at night. Some season passholders..mainly those on the older side totally write off night skiing...due to visibility or the cold. In reality it's alot colder early in the morning than in the evening. The good thing about the early change to daylight saving in March is that when I go night skiing late in the season..it's light until 7:00PM so most of my runs are in daylight..and I get to see the sunset everyday from the slopes..That's mad steezy yo..:spread:

We used to seek out the dark patches at Big Boulder and Camelback back in the day..

We got pretty "electric" a couple nights - skiing in the dark is pretty trippy... Camelback ski patrol just told us to leave one night... while shaking their heads in disgust...

yeah it was stupid..

Pretty electric...wow I love the 70s and 80s references...lol

arik

Does "electric" mean the same as "frying?"
I skied once on acid at Bear Valley in California when I was 14, I just remember the moguls looked enormous and my friend who didn't know I was tripping thought I sucked and I sort of wished I wasn't tripping so I could ski better.

highpeaksdrifter

The good thing about the early change to daylight saving in March is that when I go night skiing late in the season..it's light until 7:00PM so most of my runs are in daylight..and I get to see the sunset everyday from the slopes..That's mad steezy yo..:spread:

Sunsets are always nice to see, but for skiing it means flat light until it gets dark enough for the lights to take effect.

Does Electric mean frying?
I skied once on acid at Bear Valley in California when I was 14, I just remember the moguls looked enormous and my friend who didn't know I was tripping thought I sucked as a skier.

I always wanted to ski on mushrooms..

Greg

Staff member
Sunsets are always nice to see, but for skiing it means flat light until it gets dark enough for the lights to take effect.

Yeah, that transition can be brutal, but it usually only lasts one run. Maybe two. Then when it's fully dark the terrain seems even more lit up.