• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northface ski pants/Gore Tex jackets

Skier75

Okay, I'm sure this has been asked before, but here I go. We just got back from a weekend hiking trip and we both have Northface gore tex pants and LL Bean gore tex jackets. I have washed these before. But what I'm wondering is how often do you suppose you should wash them? What do you use to wash them with? Is there a limit as to how many times you wash them, that is not good for them. What does anyone do in the care of these? Also drying? Hang or dry on a low/or no heat????

How about windstopper fleece jackets? What's anyones take on washing/drying them? Any comments would be apprieciated.

bvibert

Staff member
I use the Tech Wash stuff from Nikwax, but only if my jacket is looking dirty. Once every season or so I guess.

Skier75

DEFINATELY use a gore-tex specific NON DETERGENT wash, such as:

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4

Regular detergent will end up blocking the gore-tex membrane and you'll see a fall off in it's performance quickly.

Most ski shops/outdoor stores will sell a gore-tex specific wash.

Great info here, thanks.

We don't have the nikwax for the goretex, but have the nikwax for our down sleeping bags. Guess we'll have to go and buy some. Most of the reason I'd like to wash them is because of sweat, that's one of the only things about gore tex is the fact that I sweat like crazy while winter hiking or any hiking for that matter and wasn't really wure how often I should wash the sweat outta them. I really don't want to ruin the performance, I'd like to keep these as long as possible.

Thanks again.