• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official Thanksgiving Day Storm HYPE Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

Here is some major hype from you, but the last several runs of the longe range models are showing a Turkey Day storm for the North East....soooo, I figured I would start the thread now to get you all drooling for something other than turkey...the storm is only 380+ hours away...

here is a map
gfs_p06_240l.gif

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
yeah I'd bet the farm on the 240hrs GFS...

NOT... honestly man, yes there will be a storm in that period of time, but it remains to be see if it will be rain snow, even which week it will form in the end of november.

Here you guys should read this link http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=57814&hl=

Wait another 10 days then maybe you can hype the storm

PS Not to mention that the QPF's on that map give the mountains about 4 inches, big storms aren't what we are looking for this time of the year, the traditional clipper/upslope storms will be far more efficent for the ski areas, giving them more snow, spread out of a series of days, consistantely refreshening trails, and building bases, while the ground continues to freeze so the snow can stick around for more than 2 days

Joshua

hey, its just to have a little fun as we wait for another storm....we can all dream

but seriously, something is gonna happen around that time

Greg

Staff member
Re: Official 2005 Thanksgiving Day Storm Thread

Joshua said:
Here is some major hype from you
You ain't kidding. :blink: But hey - I plan to ski that Friday and it looks like several ski areas will be open by then so bring it on...

Powderhound21

Covington,VA (70 miles SE of Snowshoe,WV)
Website
winter.6.forumer.com
Re: Official 2005 Thanksgiving Day Storm Thread

Joshua said:
Here is some major hype from you, but the last several runs of the longe range models are showing a Turkey Day storm for the North East....soooo, I figured I would start the thread now to get you all drooling for something other than turkey...the storm is only 380+ hours away...

here is a map
gfs_p06_240l.gif

I agree with you, but I would wait til wednesday to come to a concludion. That would bring it to a somewhat predictable 7-day range. But the cold is definately comin!

ga2ski

Hopefully it arrives on wednesday night as we are celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday as we can ski on Thursday when our passes are not blacked out. However with my luck it will be a big dump on Friday and I'll have to be home eating turkey. Maybe I can call in sick to Tahnksgiving dinner.

Zand

This is what I feel about this...

Every long-term predicted storm, I have these feelings about them. Whether it's what I want to think or not, it doesn't make a difference. Now, 90% of the time, I always feel like "well, it'll be overhyped and just be some usual winter storm with a few inches".

The other 10% is a different story. One of the times I didn't feel that way was last year's Blizzard. 6 days before the storm, they were all saying "A major storm will track up the east coast. A track 100 miles to the west of the predicted path will spell major snowfall for New England. However, I immediately said "This is happening. We're gonna get it."

That's how I feel about this one right now. It's 12 days away, but I think this could really happen. All I know is I'll be skiing November 25th, and I'll be doing it no further than Wachusett. I think this storm will start Monday night with temps around the mid-20s. It will go all day Tuesday with temps hitting 30 at max. It will wind down midday Wednesday and leave all of the "Friday-After-Thanksgiving" resorts jumping through the roof. I think we'll get 12-18".

I'll summarize it with a few words... Get ready, we're going for a ride.

EDIT: Also, judging by that map, this storm could be a "blckbuster" storm.

Joshua

still looking good towards thanksgiving week

may be a few smaller storms instead of one big one but with the same overall effect

here is a link to the first wave with another one coming behind it

gfs156hr_sfc_prcp.gif

thetrailboss

Staff member
Joshua said:
still looking good towards thanksgiving week

may be a few smaller storms instead of one big one but with the same overall effect

here is a link to the first wave with another one coming behind it

gfs156hr_sfc_prcp.gif

:-? Though I hate to be a naysayer, I think it is important to note that the image you use indicates that a majority of the precipitation will be out in the Gulf of Maine and not in the mountains...this may or may not be in the margin of error, but it appears that this, as depicted on your image, is a near miss.

Joshua

this first storm will be a fast mover and may not hit VT directly but still puts a good slug of moisture into eastern sections and VT too.

Still, it only represents the first in a series of waves, each becomeing more "negatively tilted" and posing a greater snow threat for all of NE.

Its going to be an interesting thanksgiving week.

If nothing else, winds look favorable for some great upslope in the greens as well.

Zand

For anyone who's looked at it lately, I hope accuweather's new forecast for that week is wrong. They have every day in the mid-40s now with rain during the day for most of these storms.

However, that GFS image looks promising, especially considering it'll happen on Sunday which is within the 7 day window. That's exactly what the October 25th storm looked like if I remember correctly except colder. "Thinks what the outside world will look like a week from now."

jimme

5 of the Top 10 Snowstorms in the Albany area happened on 11/25. If we are getting Nov snow, that will be about the time! :)

ctenidae

I'm flying out of Boston on the 22nd. Better not be blizzarding then, or I'm going to be annoyed. Partly because I'll be stuck in the airport, partly because I'll be missing the skiing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
near miss for the big one perhaps, but could be the models are reading that way due to cold air moving in from canada (haven't looked into it, just a hypotetical). i'd rather just miss the heavy precip in exchange for colder air which translates into more and lighter snow. a number of factors influence snow fall and it's hard just looking at a seven day precip map to judge what may or may not be coming. we'll see what happens. the big news here isn't the potential for a big storm, but the pattern we are entering after these few days of abnormally high temps clear out.

Zand

Colder temps would be better for the resorts regionally than a warm snow. The best would be cold temps and snow. :p

Zand

Latest GFS shows cold temps lasting into the first week of December. It also shows a clipper Friday Night, Sunday, and a good storm mid-next week. Most of the Nor'Easters will be going out to sea, which shows how strong the arctic flow will be.

Zand

The end of next week doesn't look so great now. It'll be cold until Thanksgiving day with a few fronts here and there. On Friday, a coastal low moves in as a rainstorm. On the backside of the storm, another, sharply colder, coastal low will pull up the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.