• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official Thanksgiving Day Storm HYPE Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noski

Snow is coming

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TUESDAY TO 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN AS RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT... POSSIBLY MIXING WITH SLEET AND SNOW LATE TONIGHT. MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW EARLY TUESDAY MORNING IN THE ADIRONDACKS... AS WELL AS OVER NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VERMONT TUESDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL THEN TAPER OFF TUESDAY EVENING. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 INCHES TO AS MUCH AS 9 INCHES OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN ARE EXPECTED BY LATE TUESDAY EVENING.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua said:
:-? This is your third "IT'S ON" just in this thread. I think we get it already... :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Joshua said:
i disagree, but time will tell

places N & W just arent going to see enough precip...but who the hell knows

WRONG. These areas will see LESS RAIN, which means more SNOW will be able to accumulate and stay.

ctenidae

I think he's trying to say that it is, in fact, on. As opposed to being, I don't know, not on, or something. All i know is, you guys better not take all the good snow while I'm gone. I know it's snowing like a monkey in Warsaw right now, adn should be all week, and I'm going to be very, very grumpy if, after not skiing in the snow for a week there's no snow when I get back.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Joshua,

I don't mean to be insulting by asking these questions, but in all honesty would like to know the answers, so that I can understand where you get your information, the basis for your information, and the validity of this information...

1. Are you a pro met?

2. How old are you?

3. What makes you think that you are accurate beyond 5 days when some of the best mets in the world are not, do you have some skills that you've been hiding, or is it pure speculation?

-porter

Big Game

salida said:
1. Are you a pro met?

2. How old are you?

3. What makes you think that you are accurate beyond 5 days when some of the best mets in the world are not, do you have some skills that you've been hiding, or is it pure speculation?

Hey bro, easy with the cross-examination. This isn't a court room, just yet another forum where hopelessly optimistic snow lovers get each all torqued up.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Joshua said:
here is fourth, do I get the red grump face this time?

Hmmm...seems to be bordering the line here...probably not a good idea to be going after the owner of the site. :-?
No worries, trailboss. I deserve to get ribbed back for ribbing him...

awf170

Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
Joshua said:
here is fourth, do I get the red grump face this time?

Hmmm...seems to be bordering the line here...probably not a good idea to be going after the owner of the site. :-?
No worries, trailboss. I deserve to get ribbed back for ribbing him...

I thought it was pretty funny....

Hey Joshua do you have weaher background at all or just take the highest snow forcast you see on all of internet and then post that as the your forcast... and I cant believe I thought you were a pesimest at first :roll: I guess it is good to get the opitimistic forcast along with pesimestic, Its just nice to have actual facts to back it up.

And Salida, are you taking an meterology courses in college, or do you just follow weather alot?

Greg

Staff member
awf170 said:
And Salida, are you taking an meterology courses in college, or do you just follow weather alot?
Not sure what his education is, but he spent a summer (or was it a winter :eek: ?) at the Obs.

awf170

Greg said:
awf170 said:
Not sure what his education is, but he spent a summer (or was it a winter :eek: ?) at the Obs.

I think it was winter, and if you do winter you have to summer first. I was going to an Edo trip the summer but kinda forgot about it. Im def going to do it this summer though, then once I'm in college I'll do the winter and summer trips.

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
awf170 said:
Hey Joshua do you have weaher background at all or just take the highest snow forcast you see on all of internet and then post that as the your forcast... and I cant believe I thought you were a pesimest at first :roll: I guess it is good to get the opitimistic forcast along with pesimestic, Its just nice to have actual facts to back it up.

First off, I should apologize to Joshua for asking him these very direct questions. Austin put it much better above, and I would like to re-phrase by saying, "Joshua what weather experience do you have? and I didn't mean to offend you by being so direct."

As for Greg and Austin's questions:
Greg said:
awf170 said:

I spent an entire summer at the obs... and have spent lots of winter time, however, not a full season. I am a college student and have taken various college level met courses but do not have a degree in it. I spent this summer in the arctic, studying glacial geology and arctic weather trends. I have significant weather experience, but do not consider myself to be a professional by any means. I read the models like the next guy, and do talk to some excellent professionals on a regular basis, but try not to speculate beyond my scope of knowledge.

I guess what really gets me about the posts in this thread, are that they seem to be conjured out of no where (aka accuweather) and don't seem to have any basis for accuracy. Anyone can call a storm two weeks away... the system that Joshua called two weeks ago is not the same forecasted system that is going to give us some snow on Tuesday. All in all I would really like to know Joshua's background, and if he is indeed just a weather amateur, then I'd ask him to stop pushing it in everyone's face when he is right, and to stop posting pure speculation just to get everyone razzed up.

Despite, my anti-snow sentiments in these posts, I am typically a snow guru and like snow as much as the next guy. I might call it an addiction trying to find the best snow all the times of the year. In fact, I’ve seen snow all months this year except September. I’m a nut about it, but when it comes to unfounded facts and guess work, I don’t like it. Check your stuff and start posting some data with your claims, and I think everyone would be much happier!

-Porter

freeheelwilly

salida said:
awf170 said:

First off, I should apologize to Joshua for asking him these very direct questions. Austin put it much better above, and I would like to re-phrase by saying, "Joshua what weather experience do you have? and I didn't mean to offend you by being so direct."

As for Greg and Austin's questions:
Greg said:
awf170 said:

I spent an entire summer at the obs... and have spent lots of winter time, however, not a full season. I am a college student and have taken various college level met courses but do not have a degree in it. I spent this summer in the arctic, studying glacial geology and arctic weather trends. I have significant weather experience, but do not consider myself to be a professional by any means. I read the models like the next guy, and do talk to some excellent professionals on a regular basis, but try not to speculate beyond my scope of knowledge.

I guess what really gets me about the posts in this thread, are that they seem to be conjured out of no where (aka accuweather) and don't seem to have any basis for accuracy. Anyone can call a storm two weeks away... the system that Joshua called two weeks ago is not the same forecasted system that is going to give us some snow on Tuesday. All in all I would really like to know Joshua's background, and if he is indeed just a weather amateur, then I'd ask him to stop pushing it in everyone's face when he is right, and to stop posting pure speculation just to get everyone razzed up.

Despite, my anti-snow sentiments in these posts, I am typically a snow guru and like snow as much as the next guy. I might call it an addiction trying to find the best snow all the times of the year. In fact, I’ve seen snow all months this year except September. I’m a nut about it, but when it comes to unfounded facts and guess work, I don’t like it. Check your stuff and start posting some data with your claims, and I think everyone would be much happier!

-Porter

I dunno about all that. You're into weather. Some of us are just into its effects. I like to hear predictions of Big Storms two weeks out. Gives me something to think/hope about. I realize two weeks is kinda silly - so what? It's just weather. We're not curin' cancer or solving world hunger here. Hyping potential snow events on a ski forum sounds about right to me. You want "objectivity"? You want "accountability"? Go hang with the "pro-mets" on a "met site". Sounds like fun :roll: .

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
personally, i kinda liked the storm discussions more when they started the day before the store. the discussions used to involve reporting of snow rather than wild conjucture two weeks out based on a model. i know some folks here like that, but by the thread gets to the sixth page two days before the storm even gets here, i loose interest. i haven't been following this thread and this will be my last time checking in with this thread and just wanted to note that having an 'official' storm thread before the storm is even approaching is wacked. just my two cents, i'll let you guys get back to it.

btw, while you guys are going off on a tday storm, the storm currently approaching new england could likely have more snow dump in some parts:
http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6460

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
personally, i kinda liked the storm discussions more when they started the day before the store. the discussions used to involve reporting of snow rather than wild conjucture two weeks out based on a model. i know some folks here like that, but by the thread gets to the sixth page two days before the storm even gets here, i loose interest. i haven't been following this thread and this will be my last time checking in with this thread and just wanted to note that having an 'official' storm thread before the storm is even approaching is wacked. just my two cents, i'll let you guys get back to it.

I agree with Steve 100% I haven't stopped following this thread only because I never started following it (I only scan through it to check for any trouble makers ;) ). It gets old real quick. I say stick to waiting a day or two ahead of the predicted storm.

noski

Cheer up, all. Last year on Thanksgiving the MRV had a horrid thunderstorm, lightning struck the lift tower and alot of people rode down the mountain in a thunderstorm in the back of a pick up truck. One of you must have been there.... No matter what snow we get, it sounds better this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.