• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official Thanksgiving Day Storm HYPE Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrailboss

Staff member
salida said:
I guess what really gets me about the posts in this thread, are that they seem to be conjured out of no where (aka accuweather) and don't seem to have any basis for accuracy. Anyone can call a storm two weeks away... the system that Joshua called two weeks ago is not the same forecasted system that is going to give us some snow on Tuesday. All in all I would really like to know Joshua's background, and if he is indeed just a weather amateur, then I'd ask him to stop pushing it in everyone's face when he is right, and to stop posting pure speculation just to get everyone razzed up.
-Porter

I agree completely. One of the things that makes AZ special is that we have people in here with great experience, connections, and backgrounds that provide us all with a wealth of knowledge...we have credible sources that elevate the level of discussion.

Though talking about weather two or three weeks out may have some merit, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. When this thread first came out, we were "promised" lots of snow today and this week...to be measured in feet. Well, it is raining here in VT now. I think by waiting until a couple days before removes the hype and leaves open a discussion of the facts...so as not to disappoint :wink:

Lostone

I'd like to predict that it will snow tocay at Sugarbush. :D

The equipment I'm using is my outdoor thermometer, which says that the present temp is the low for around 24 hours and the windo... where I can see it snowing like crazy, even tho it has been said that it should be mixed until 15:00. :wink:

:beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lostone said:
I'd like to predict that it will snow tocay at Sugarbush. :D

The equipment I'm using is my outdoor thermometer, which says that the present temp is the low for around 24 hours and the windo... where I can see it snowing like crazy, even tho it has been said that it should be mixed until 15:00. :wink:

:beer:

This kind of first-hand info is what makes AZ cool! Thanks! :beer:

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
riverc0il said:
personally, i kinda liked the storm discussions more when they started the day before the store. the discussions used to involve reporting of snow rather than wild conjucture two weeks out based on a model. i know some folks here like that, but by the thread gets to the sixth page two days before the storm even gets here, i loose interest. i haven't been following this thread and this will be my last time checking in with this thread and just wanted to note that having an 'official' storm thread before the storm is even approaching is wacked. just my two cents, i'll let you guys get back to it.

I agree with Steve 100% I haven't stopped following this thread only because I never started following it (I only scan through it to check for any trouble makers ;) ). It gets old real quick. I say stick to waiting a day or two ahead of the predicted storm.
Let me add as well that the original point of the "Official Storm Discussion Threads" we started a couple of years ago was to discuss the lead-up to an imminent storm 1-3 days out as well as posting first hand reports of the weather conditions in your area as the storm is unfolding.

JimG.

Staff member
I think everyone needs to lighten up. Let folks predict/wish for whatever. This is supposed to be fun!

Everyone eat a mouthful of turkey and give thanks for winter!

JimG.

Staff member
pepperdawg said:
So....its on?

:roll:

Seriously - things are looking good - Kmarts cam shot is showing a couple of inches down already....

dmc reports snow falling in the Catskills as of about 8am.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Let me add as well that the original point of the "Official Storm Discussion Threads" we started a couple of years ago was to discuss the lead-up to an imminent storm 1-3 days out as well as posting first hand reports of the weather conditions in your area as the storm is unfolding.
much more eloquently put than my previous statement, but that was what i was going for. i think there should be a difference between "unofficial model examination" and an actual storm discussion thread of an imminent storm. i just wanted to pipe back in with the suggestion of naming threads based on non-imminent storms and long term models as 'model examination threads' or something along those lines. i am trying to be more of an armchair forecaster myself and enjoy thoughtful and intelligent discussion about models such as powderhound's (ScottB's) discussions on FTO or those found on easternusWx, but less hype and more 'discussion' is in order and i think the labeling of an official storm thread before the storm has actually materialized is hyping. sorry to stress the issue, i think both topics have a place but projection of future weather based on long term models is not an official storm thread, imo.

awf170

riverc0il said:
much more eloquently put than my previous statement, but that was what i was going for. i think there should be a difference between "unofficial model examination" and an actual storm discussion thread of an imminent storm. i just wanted to pipe back in with the suggestion of naming threads based on non-imminent storms and long term models as 'model examination threads' or something along those lines. i am trying to be more of an armchair forecaster myself and enjoy thoughtful and intelligent discussion about models such as powderhound's (ScottB's) discussions on FTO or those found on easternusWx, but less hype and more 'discussion' is in order and i think the labeling of an official storm thread before the storm has actually materialized is hyping. sorry to stress the issue, i think both topics have a place but projection of future weather based on long term models is not an official storm thread, imo.

hey remember my idea of a weather forum :wink: that could make accuweather armchair forcasts and people who dont want this forum cluttered up happy... its a win win situation :wink: :lol:

hammer

riverc0il said:
i think there should be a difference between "unofficial model examination" and an actual storm discussion thread of an imminent storm. i just wanted to pipe back in with the suggestion of naming threads based on non-imminent storms and long term models as 'model examination threads' or something along those lines.
You can count my vote on this one...

I enjoy reading about speculation on overall weather patterns as much as the next person, but I'd also suggest that the "storm discussion thread" topics be restricted to times when a storm is more imminent.

Status
Not open for further replies.