• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo... What do you think?

Granola Dude

Website
ctcarenthusiast.6.forumer.com
Alrighty... this will be the one thing getting me through this week... Opening day at Okemo!!!! i'd love to get up there for it, but its a bit of a haul for one day from CT. Do you guys think it will be worth it, or if they will even open? Those of you that went to Killington, do you think the same will apply for Okemo, and was it a good time? Just for the sake of skiing on "opening day" would be awesome, but at the same time it could be just a lot of driving for a little pile of snow.. so i turn to the zen wisdom of the AlpineZone members to share their insight!

:beer:

Greg

Staff member
Have they made any snow yet? I haven't heard that they did. This week doesn't look great for snowmaking so I'm not even sure they'll open this coming weekend.

In regards to the question about whether Killington was worth it to the folks that went.......did you see this pics...? :eek:

thetrailboss

Staff member
RIDEr said:
O however, Stowe got dumped on (other side of mountain from Okemo) and the snow should still be there and well worth the drive.

Huh? :blink: Stowe is clear on the other side of the state and much higher. Nowhere close to Okemo. Did you mean Killington? :-?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
RIDEr said:
Okemo never posted too much hiking; however, Stowe got dumped on (other side of mountain from Okemo) and the snow should still be there and well worth the drive.
When did they move Stowe closer to Okemo? Stowe is NORTH of Rutland and Okemo is South of Rutland (both by quite a bit). That would have to be quite the mountain for Stowe to be on one side of it and Okemo to be on the other side. :wink:
vermontmap_skiareas.jpg

Greg

Staff member
:roll: I think it's pretty obvious that RIDEr meant Killington...

noski

Greg said:
:roll: I think it's pretty obvious that RIDEr meant Killington...
Perhaps a Freudian slip...? From the MRV point of view, I have to ask if they really are that different...eh?

skibum1321

I highly doubt that Okemo will be opening this weekend since they don't really have any snowmaking weather this week.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
What happened to the SMALL, but readable map that I posted? Now it is so small it can not be read at all.

Edit:
It is now back to NORMAL size. A minute ago it was about an inch by 3/4 of an inch in size.

Joshua

Okemo did not look very good from route 103 (snow only at the peaks) and doubtful they are gonna be able to make a ton of snow before this weekend

i would wait.....

RossiSkier

Announcement from Okemo.com

After a sneak peek snowstorm last week, warmer weather has forced us to push back opening day until November 12th. The good news? We plan to start making snow by the weekend. Check the full snow report for details...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
there isn't even going to be slush at okemo by their opening date with these temps :lol: they didn't have much choice in the matter here without snow making and compacting of snow and given their lower elevation.

BeanoNYC

I did a one day trip up to Okemo last year from here in South Queens. I really liked it there .... it is worth trip if the conditions are good.

Granola Dude

Website
ctcarenthusiast.6.forumer.com
ah definitley.. Okemo is great, especially with the added Jackson Gore area. We'll have to see how the weather forecast pans out this week to see if they can make the Nov. 12 date...

btw - Riverc0il.. i don't know if you remember me, but this is hippyskier from SnowJournal.. lol

Joshua

i dont believe that...

last week this time everyone was talking about how Killington wouldnt open up because it was going to warm up THIS week, and it sure did

they cant predict specifics 10 days out, but patterns they sure can, and we are in a warm one