• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Perfect New England tree ski

MadMadWorld

I'm OK with those dimensions Mishka. But I'm still trying to understand some of the calculations and discussion.

1) Sidecut radius. Your calcs on 132-100-122 show a 14m radius. Line Blends are the same 132-100-122 178cm with Tip Early Rise-Camber-Tail Early Rise (similar to yours). But they claim a 21m radius. I'm sure there's a good reason, can you explain the difference to me?

2) MMW what do you mean by heavy/stiff ski? We are talking about very subtle dimension changes that shouldn't change the actual weight much. And the materials/construction wouldn't change so neither should stiffness. In this designs I don't understand how turn radius relates to heavy/stiff unless you mean it in some other way?

I don't claim to be an expert except when I stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I believe there are other factors than just dimensions of tip/tail/shovel. I think it lies in edge contact. Rockered skis will naturally have a different turn radius I believe

prophet0426

Line Sir Francis Bacons====Done and Perfect :razz: LOL

I actually think rocker will be a disadvantage in the trees, my thought is to have some camber with a twin tip early rise tip and tail. I feel that with a full rocker you would be limited in turning ability especially when things get tracked out. I think having a relatively soft ski would be a plus as well, something that you could yes smear a turning with quickly to dump speed. Large early rise shovel in the front, with a narrow early rise tail in the rear. I think 100 under foot would be a solid ski, skiing my Bacons at 115 under foot can get a little overwhelming at times when things get tight, hard to quickly pivot them around. We'll see about this year with the High Society Free Rides. They are an early rise twin tip dimensions of 136/104/126 with a 23.7 turn radius, poplar core, and 4 pounds aside.

Cannonball

^ yeah your SFBs are nearly identical to my HTs and it's definitely too much ski for me in the trees.

Also starting to agree on the rocker. Now thinking some camber underfoot is a good idea. With rocker/rise in tip and tail.

mishka

mine is different design so-called five points where tip/tale starts in a different location.and radius calculated from those points of references
Here more traditional, similar to what you referring looks with same numbers
2222222_zps5c87fd5f.jpg

MadMadWorld

^ yeah your SFBs are nearly identical to my HTs and it's definitely too much ski for me in the trees.

Also starting to agree on the rocker. Now thinking some camber underfoot is a good idea. With rocker/rise in tip and tail.

I have some decent camber in my Kung Fujas. Because of that they are really playful. Sometimes it feels like I am literally bouncing out of turns. In the trees they are light and maneuverable.

mishka

I have some decent camber in my Kung Fujas. Because of that they are really playful. Sometimes it feels like I am literally bouncing out of turns. In the trees they are light and maneuverable.
iirc MR110 MMW tried much stiffer skis

Cannanball. Don't over think it, I been that road before ....designing skis from scratch nerve-racking:puke: .
stays the course... Slightly change the design you tryed and liked

Cannonball

Cannanball. Don't over think it, I been that road before ....designing skis from scratch nerve-racking:puke: .

Good advice. Honestly I'm really not. I just find the discussion interesting. The reality is that I don't believe that any of these things make a whole lot of difference. It boils down to the skier much more than the skis. Guys were skiing Dodge's Drop on wooden skis with leather boots back in the day. But it's fun talking through the design process. And I can't wait to get out there on skis that I had a hand in building locally!!

BTW: I already have the perfect New England Tree ski: It's 163cm long, 255mm underfoot, dual camber profile, sidecut radius of 7.9 m.....and you stand sideways on it.

Cannonball

Good advice. Honestly I'm really not. I just find the discussion interesting. The reality is that I don't believe that any of these things make a whole lot of difference. It boils down to the skier much more than the skis. Guys were skiing Dodge's Drop on wooden skis with leather boots back in the day. But it's fun talking through the design process. And I can't wait to get out there on something that I had a hand in building locally!!

BTW, I already own the perfect New England Tree ski: It's 163cm long, 255mm underfoot, dual camber profile, sidecut radius of 7.9 m.....and you stand sideways on it.

MadMadWorld

Good advice. Honestly I'm really not. I just find the discussion interesting. The reality is that I don't believe that any of these things make a whole lot of difference. It boils down to the skier much more than the skis. Guys were skiing Dodge's Drop on wooden skis with leather boots back in the day. But it's fun talking through the design process. And I can't wait to get out there on something that I had a hand in building locally!!

BTW, I already own the perfect New England Tree ski: It's 163cm long, 255mm underfoot, dual camber profile, sidecut radius of 7.9 m.....and you stand sideways on it.

Funny guy until you boot stomp the runout.

Hawkshot99

I actually think rocker will be a disadvantage in the trees, my thought is to have some camber with a twin tip early rise tip and tail. I feel that with a full rocker you would be limited in turning ability especially when things get tracked out.

Some of these responces make me smile. Rocker and early rise are the same thing. Different companies use different terms to make it sound like they have a "special" ski.

My personal design for a tree ski is a
98-100mm waisted ski with a 16-17m radius.
178 length, rockered about 18" from front tip, no rocker on tail.
A v notch on the tail to clip a skin to securely.
Camber
Single layer of metal, but only under the binding.
"Air tip" like rossi is doing on a lot fo their skis now to reduce swing weight.
Flat mount.
Minimum graphics to show off the wood core.

Cannonball

Some of these responces make me smile. Rocker and early rise are the same thing. Different companies use different terms to make it sound like they have a "special" ski.

They do get used interchangeably which makes it difficult. I like the language prophet0426 used because it makes it clearer. "Rocker" should be saved for when talking about "full rocker" since that's more intuitive and what it actually means (a rocking chair with camber in the middle would really suck). "Early rise" is a much better description for what both you and prophet are talking about.

Cannonball

They do get used interchangeably which makes it difficult. I like the language prophet0426 used because it makes it clearer. "Rocker" should be saved for when talking about "full rocker" since that's more intuitive and what it actually means (a rocking chair with camber in the middle would really suck). "Early rise" is a much better description foro,' what both you and prophet are talking about.

Scruffy

Good advice. Honestly I'm really not. I just find the discussion interesting. The reality is that I don't believe that any of these things make a whole lot of difference. It boils down to the skier much more than the skis. Guys were skiing Dodge's Drop on wooden skis with leather boots back in the day. But it's fun talking through the design process. And I can't wait to get out there on skis that I had a hand in building locally!!

BTW: I already have the perfect New England Tree ski: It's 163cm long, 255mm underfoot, dual camber profile, sidecut radius of 7.9 m.....and you stand sideways on it.

Yup. Skier and what they're use to. Plake would be rocking the trees on 210's

Scruffy

Yup. Skier and what they're use to. Plake would be rocking the trees on 210's