• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill 3/5/22

JimG.

Staff member
Resort or Ski Area
Plattekill Mountain
Date
Mar 5, 2022
Snow Conditions
  1. Powder
  2. Packed Powder
  3. Moguls
This is also in my ski season thread I decided to repost this in trip reports to give Plattekill richly deserved publicity.

My last day at Platty was on 2/24 and things looked grim; you can see that Freefall in the middle of the shot is essentially dirt:

35226.jpg

I thought yesterday might be my last day there but when I pulled into the lot I was amazed!

35225.jpg

In addition to the natural snow that accumulated there was a serious snowmaking effort and the skiing was really good!

35224.jpg

Freefall was outstanding

35223.jpg

35222.jpg

Turned out to be a great day. Kudos to Plattekill it's been a tough season but they have really hung in there and I appreciate the effort Lazlo and staff make to provide a quality experience. Never expected to score a leftover powder day yesterday it's almost magical.

Bumps on Plunge were sweet as well:

35221.jpg

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Yesterday was awesome. I was also surprised by how good surfaces were, and that they blew snow overnight.

I skied from first chair to last, and stayed for the incredible band and the torchlight parade.

Plattekill is having a great year, and they have 25 (!) mountain rentals booked for next year.

JimG.

Staff member
I was also impressed with Blockbuster and the large whales that were blown there.

To me when that trail is right like it was yesterday with plenty of snow and small bumps forming it is the #1 trail in the Catskills.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I was also impressed with Blockbuster and the large whales that were blown there.

To me when that trail is right like it was yesterday with plenty of snow and small bumps forming it is the #1 trail in the Catskills.
We should have skied, you and me.

Cornhead

Plattekill? Sounds familiar, I think I used to ski there, maybe it was just a dream. Some day I shall return. I do miss it, some of the best powder days of my life were there. I'll never forget one of those 18"+ days, shivering uncontrollably, soaking wet on the double, telling myself, this is it, just one more run, inevitably getting right back on at the bottom until ski patrol made their final run. It ain't easy being an addict.