• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poor Customer Service

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Skidork just related a bad experience with sirius which reminded me of a poor customer service story from yesterday.

I had a $100 bill in my pocket. I went to the bagel shop at 10AM and handed it to the girl. She says, sorry, I have no change. Huh? They've been open for four hours and have a line to the door! The guy next to her says, yeah she just opened. :roll: Rather than hassle the manager, I gave her a 20-spot and moved on. Next day, I went to the grocery store at 7AM. I handed the same $100 bill to the grocery clerk. Big box grocer, with tons of money, right? "Sorry, I don't have any money". At that point, I noticed the customer service booth worker was counting out hundreds of bills. Thank you. I walked over to customer service and said, "can you change a hundred? The girl in the checkout line told me she has no money." Sure, she said.
I have two problem here, both revolve around lack of common sense.
First, why couldn't the clerks offer an alternative, like go to another register, go to customer service?

Second, Is not it good service to apologize for not being able to help you? "sorry, I'll make sure the staff is trained properly next time."

Things like this cost you nothing but can either gain or lose you a customer or a reputation? My gut is that the workers don't want to be there, just want to go home and that management is clueless about customer service unless you scream and make a scene.

What's yours?

campgottagopee

IMO. there's no such thing as "poor customer service", it's poor management. A fish stinks from the head down.

bvibert

Staff member
Who the hell tries to pay for a bagel with a $100 bill? I'm sure the management told them not to accept bills that large, and the drawer is probably kept low on extra cash to avoid being a theft target. I don't blame them, makes sense to me, especially since most people I know don't use cash very much anymore and certainly not $100 bills.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Who the hell tries to pay for a bagel with a $100 bill? I'm sure the management told them not to accept bills that large, and the drawer is probably kept low on extra cash to avoid being a theft target. I don't blame them, makes sense to me, especially since most people I know don't use cash very much anymore and certainly not $100 bills.

Me. I buy dozens at a time.
$100 doesn't buy that much any more, sorry to say. The world is big, lots of people still use cash.

mondeo

+1. I don't even like using $20s if I can avoid it. When I do happen upon $50s or $100s, they get reserved from $40+ purchases.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sorry to hear that, but in my experience some places have notes on the cash registers stating that they do not accept big bills, especially $100's because of counterfeit problems. I'm not saying that you pass around counterfeit bills. Unfortunately, too many other folks are. You can't blame the teenage clerks for that. The best thing to do would be to go to your bank and get smaller bills or ask for smaller bills when you get them.

I also think that sometimes it is hard to expect much from young clerks who are working for minimum wage and are in school or decided not to go to school.

SkiDork

these days wheneve I withdraw a $20 from an ATM I immediately go to the teller window and break it into singles. All the stuff I do seems to need singles and sometimes its tough to make change. Plus its cool to have a fat wad of cash...

Warp Daddy

Many still use cash system for good reason - It is a disciplinery tool that has a way of making one "think a little" Want vs, need ) before just impulse buying on a piece of plastic and getting shell shocked later on .

My dad was an exec in a major credit industry one of the big three and i've seen many a personal tragedy result from impulse buyers nad the debt loads that folks carry .

BTW I regularly carry 100's .and have encountered very little difficulty. Yet another benefit to living in a small town environment where everybody know's your name :D

campgottagopee

Many still use cash system for good reason - It is a disciplinery tool that has a way of making one "think a little" Want vs, need ) before just impulse buying on a piece of plastic and getting shell shocked later on .

My dad was an exec in a major credit industry one of the big three and i've seen many a personal tragedy result from impulse buyers nad the debt loads that folks carry .

BTW I regularly carry 100's .and have encountered very little difficulty. Yet another benefit to living in a small town environment where everybody know's your name :D

I always carry cash....hate plastic, hate it...my wife gets pissed because of what I walk around with, but you never know when you'll wanna buy something.

SKIQUATTRO

pay peanuts and you get monkeys.......

its sad, but its a new generation of slack parenting (no discipline or manners) you can be a parent and your kids friend at the same time, most parents just want to be their friend and let manners, discipline and lessons of a strong work ethic go out the window...

its a generation of non respect and kids who dont care....but as Camp said, it stems from the top, that being mgmt and parents...