• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Potash Mountain, NH, 08/28/07

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Potash Mountain, NH

Date Hiked: 08/28/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Downes Brook Trail, Mt. Potash Trail

Distance: 4.2 miles

Difficulty: Easy/Moderate

Conditions: Sunny

With a Red Sox-Yankees game quickly approaching, I only had limited time to enjoy a really nice summer day. As a result, I decided to try something in the 2 mile range (one way) - Potash Mountain was the answer.

It should be noted off the bat that the trailhead is accessed via the same parking lot as the UNH Trail for Hedgehog, not a bit further down the Kanc as shown on the topographic maps.

I started on the essentially flat portion of the Downes Brook Trail, before stopping to DEET up - the mosquitoes were biting!

Shortly thereafter, the old Downes Brook Trail merges from the right, and then the Mt. Potash Trail breaks off to the right a bit further up.

The Downes Brook crossing confused me at first - I saw herd paths going straight and couldn't see an obvious crossing. After looking around for a minute or two, I saw a brown arrow sign up in a tree pointing across the brook - while not that big, it seems as big as some rivers I've seen before - I'd hate to have to go across this in the spring!

The Mt. Potash trail continues a fairly tame ascent for awhile longer, crossing a well defined logging road (for a second I thought it was a power line cut, that's just how wide and straight it is), along the way. Then, under some evergreens, the trail turns and starts up Mt. Potash - steep and rooty.

After a few minutes of this steep ascent, the trail levels out and goes along an open ledge with nice views of Hedgehog Mountain and Mt. Passaconaway, before ducking into the woods again. The trail continues along the side of Potash Mountain, before turning and heading straight up some somewhat steep ledges to the summit.

The views from the top were great - Mt. Carrigain standing out to the northwest and Mt. Passaconaway dominating the southeast.

Though I was somewhat tempted to see the sunset, I was much more interested in seeing the Red Sox game, so it was time to go. The soundtrack of the descent was R.E.M.'s Up.

All in all a good hike, very quiet too - though there were a few cars in the parking lot, I did not see a single person the entire time.

Trip report/map/photos:
http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/NewHampshire/potashmtn-2007-0828.php

LongStep

Potash Mountain, NH

Date Hiked: 08/28/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Downes Brook Trail, Mt. Potash Trail

Distance: 4.2 miles

Difficulty: Easy/Moderate

Conditions: Sunny

With a Red Sox-Yankees game quickly approaching, I only had limited time to enjoy a really nice summer day. As a result, I decided to try something in the 2 mile range (one way) - Potash Mountain was the answer.

It should be noted off the bat that the trailhead is accessed via the same parking lot as the UNH Trail for Hedgehog, not a bit further down the Kanc as shown on the topographic maps.

I started on the essentially flat portion of the Downes Brook Trail, before stopping to DEET up - the mosquitoes were biting!

Shortly thereafter, the old Downes Brook Trail merges from the right, and then the Mt. Potash Trail breaks off to the right a bit further up.

The Downes Brook crossing confused me at first - I saw herd paths going straight and couldn't see an obvious crossing. After looking around for a minute or two, I saw a brown arrow sign up in a tree pointing across the brook - while not that big, it seems as big as some rivers I've seen before - I'd hate to have to go across this in the spring!

The Mt. Potash trail continues a fairly tame ascent for awhile longer, crossing a well defined logging road (for a second I thought it was a power line cut, that's just how wide and straight it is), along the way. Then, under some evergreens, the trail turns and starts up Mt. Potash - steep and rooty.

After a few minutes of this steep ascent, the trail levels out and goes along an open ledge with nice views of Hedgehog Mountain and Mt. Passaconaway, before ducking into the woods again. The trail continues along the side of Potash Mountain, before turning and heading straight up some somewhat steep ledges to the summit.

The views from the top were great - Mt. Carrigain standing out to the northwest and Mt. Passaconaway dominating the southeast.

Though I was somewhat tempted to see the sunset, I was much more interested in seeing the Red Sox game, so it was time to go. The soundtrack of the descent was R.E.M.'s Up.

All in all a good hike, very quiet too - though there were a few cars in the parking lot, I did not see a single person the entire time.

Trip report/map/photos:
http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/NewHampshire/potashmtn-2007-0828.php

good report looking for a easier mountain to drag the gf with me this labor day weekend. This may be the one.

Greg

Staff member
I did this hike 6 or 7 years ago. Great views for the effort, I recall.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I found it to be more rewarding than Hedgehog for just a little bit more effort (but less distance RT). I'd still rather do something like Green Mountain, however, if I were looking to take someone on something with less of an effort but still a good view.

LongStep

I found it to be more rewarding than Hedgehog for just a little bit more effort (but less distance RT). I'd still rather do something like Green Mountain, however, if I were looking to take someone on something with less of an effort but still a good view.

well i took her to Osceola with me and I almost made her quit hiking lol. Im trying to ease her back in so something on the easier side will be in order.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
well i took her to Osceola with me and I almost made her quit hiking lol. Im trying to ease her back in so something on the easier side will be in order.

I'd consider something like Black Cap or Willard then - I found the steeps on this hike to be more than Osceola from Tripoli.

hammer

Sounds like what happened to my family after we tried going up Mt. Eisenhower...time to kick it back a notch.