• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Presidents' Day Weekend

Do you plan to ski this Presidents Day Long Weekend?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

• Maybe

• I'd Prefer an Icepick in the temple

• life is like a box of chocolates....

• I wanna go to Bermuda.....

• Total voters

roark

kickstand said:
SkiDog said:
Brettski said:
What type of Jobs?

What's the property taxes like in NH? Does it vary by county?

What tax does NH not have? I know it's something....Property, income...????

I believe its in income...which is nice...property taxes are in line with the costs of NJ however you are getting considerably more land and house for the same rate..follow?

M

They don't have a sales tax. Far as I know, they do have an income tax, and I definitely know they have a property tax.

No sales or state income tax. Property taxes can vary tremendously. My town is ~ $26 and change per $1K of assessed value (this is kind of high for NH, I believe).

Zand

I've skiied that weekend for the past 5 years.

2001: Wachusett
2002: Wachusett
2003: Okemo
2004: Okemo
2005: Sunapee

2001: Skied Wachusett in 40-degree weather and it was pretty crowded. 15 minute lines for the quads midday. Didn't ski that night.

2002: Skied Wachusett in 60-degree weather. Rivers all over the places, but short lines. Night skiing was especially uncrowded, the lifts were ski-on.

2003: Skied Okemo the day after that 24" dump. Extremely crowded everywhere with Bumps, Jumps, and Idiots all over the place. The conditions were great, but the crowds were almost unbearable.

2004: Skied Okemo in 40 degree weather and it was very crowded, but nothing as bad as 2003. THe only lines were the base lifts and Northstar.

2005: Skied Sunapee the day after a 6" storm. 5 minute lines for the summit quad, but no were else. Crowds were very manageable. Very foggy also. I think the fog turned away many people.

This year: I hope to try Ragged that weekend.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
just stay away from the big resorts and crowded areas and you'll be find. to escape the holiday crowds and not wait in line, i suggest burke, magic, and black mountains. 1-2 minute wait tops even on a holiday weekend. NHPH has another good idea though, that one sounds good to me!
:beer:

kickstand

roark said:
kickstand said:
They don't have a sales tax. Far as I know, they do have an income tax, and I definitely know they have a property tax.

No sales or state income tax. Property taxes can vary tremendously. My town is ~ $26 and change per $1K of assessed value (this is kind of high for NH, I believe).

no income tax? Nice. Even more incentive to move there.

I think I was getting dyslexic with people living in NH and working in MA. They pay property tax in NH and income tax in MA. My bad. Thanks for clarifying.

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
Is President's Day weekend really that big of a deal for crowds? Heading to a more common resort such as Stowe, Jay, Okemo, Killington you already come to the expectancy to wait a bit. Certainly going to resorts River talks about is going to provide you a shorter line, but is it worth what you are losing in the terrain?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Certainly going to resorts River talks about is going to provide you a shorter line, but is it worth what you are losing in the terrain?
what smack you talking? burke has some of the best trees in new england and argueably the best high speed ripping groomers any where. you only gain terrain by going to burke. likewise with magic, under rated groomers (not the best though) and excellent trees. black is a fun mountain but is sacrificing terrain a bit, but i'd rather have 30 extremely fun runs on not the most challenging terrain without lift lines than spend half my day in a line to ski scrapped off crapola snow with three thousand whackos buzzing by me ;) besides, if there is fresh snow to be found after a powder dump around that time, you still have a chance at finding good quality snow at places like burke and magic.

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
I knew the response... I can not downplay the type of mountain terrain Burke certainly has to offer. The mountain while biking and hiking over the summer certainly gave me a smile; HOWEVER, let's compare more than glades for a bit. There is only one bar in Burke with some damn fine beer :beer: , but Stowe (where I'm going for President's Day weekend) has a bar, something they like to call a club and good food.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the snow. However, sacrificing a few stupid people on the mountain to avoid it at all cost is nuts.

I know Stowe's terrain and look forward to Burke's terrain this year, but can't forsee not spending a long weekend in a larger resort..... but that's only my opinion. :roll:

NHpowderhound

RIDEr wrote
Is President's Day weekend really that big of a deal for crowds? Heading to a more common resort such as Stowe, Jay, Okemo, Killington you already come to the expectancy to wait a bit. Certainly going to resorts River talks about is going to provide you a shorter line, but is it worth what you are losing in the terrain?
Potentially yes. Presis weekend can be THE buisiest time all season for a ski resort. It's right up there with X-Mas vacation. It can make or break a seaon for some resorts.
If you are looking to hit a Major resort I would reccomend Jay as the closest major city to it is Montreal and I dont think they will be celebrating our presidents. Jay is more affected by Canadian holidays rather than US. Think about it. If you go to jay you need to pass up closer places(for most) like Killington,Stratton,Snow,Stowe,OkemoBush,Smuggs,Loon ,Waterville Valley and many many other smaller resorts. So most of the skiing /boarding community is filtered out before they can even think about Jay. Hell Ottowa is closer to Jay than Boston! But I fully understand that Jay is not for everyone and can be very weather dependent.
((*
*))NHPH

Terry

Does a bear s#$% in the woods? Is a frogs a&& watertight? If there is any skiing, and I am still able to move, I will be out there somewhere!!! :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
RIDEr said:
I knew the response... I can not downplay the type of mountain terrain Burke certainly has to offer. The mountain while biking and hiking over the summer certainly gave me a smile; HOWEVER, let's compare more than glades for a bit. There is only one bar in Burke with some damn fine beer :beer: , but Stowe (where I'm going for President's Day weekend) has a bar, something they like to call a club and good food.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the snow. However, sacrificing a few stupid people on the mountain to avoid it at all cost is nuts.

I know Stowe's terrain and look forward to Burke's terrain this year, but can't forsee not spending a long weekend in a larger resort..... but that's only my opinion. :roll:

Sssshhhhh! Don't tell everyone about Burke :wink: Going up tomorrow to see what they've been up to...

noski

highpeaksdrifter said:
I just noticed that one of the choices is I'd rather go to Bermuda and someone voted for it. You should be ashamed. JMO
Hey! I fessed up to voting for that, I am not that low! You gotta know me to love me. And for what it's worth, I immortalized you in the Alpine Zone graphic contest over on the misc. thread. You'll see when my entry is posted.

Geoff

I've skied Killington on Presidents Weekend for the last 25 years since it's a waste of time and money to take a ski vacation that week.

With the blackout dates on the cheap season pass, it wasn't all that busy last year. Traffic patterns changed. Killington was busier on the weekends before and after the blackout weekends than on the "busy" weekends. On the peak weekends, the places that were busy were the family areas. There wasn't all that much traffic in the expert areas like The Canyon Quad and Bear. Places like Rams Head, Snowshed, and the Skyeship base were jammed.

Geoff

New Hampshire taxes:
No state income tax
No state sales tax
A fairly stiff meals & hotel tax
An average gasoline tax.

Property tax varies widely depending on the town. There's a very small statewide school tax that's typically about $5 per thousand of valuation. Towns with a poor tax base and lots of kids in the public school system have high property tax rates. Most places are in the $16 to $18 per thousand range. The sprawling suburbs on the Mass line are usually between $20 and $25. There are towns well north of $30 and resort towns with lots of vacation homes down below $10.

Examples:
Portsmouth, where I live: $17.17
New Castle Island 1/2 mile away: $5.66
Jackson, near Wildcat: $10.00
Waterville: $11.25
Lincoln: $21.73
Manchester: $27.92

In contrast, my Killington condo is taxed at the commercial rate since it's not my primary residence. The tax rate there is ~$19/thousand because of the statewide school tax. Believe it or not, the residential rate is actually slightly higher than the commercial rate because of some strange school tax laws. This is in a state where state income tax is 25% of federal taxes, there's a stiff sales tax, and big taxes on meals, hotels, and gasoline.

Tyrolean_skier

I usually spend President's week at Killington since my kids are off from school. My son also has to be there because he is in the Killington Ski Club and there are lots of sessions during the holiday week. My plan is to be there; however, that may change if I have a job come February. Right now I am unemployed due to my previous company getting reorganized.