• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

R.I.P. Scott Weiland

Funky_Catskills

It's a great cautionary tale.. Of addiction and love lost..
Written from a place of caring..

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.. Rolling Stone has been known for cutting edge and tough pieces from those of us that read it regularly..

We all need to be more realistic about this issue and stop glossing it over with celebrity..
Dude was a fu*king mess... And pissed a ton of people off by being a mess.. And left kids behind because he was a mess..

dlague

It's a great cautionary tale.. Of addiction and love lost..
Written from a place of caring..

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.. Rolling Stone has been known for cutting edge and tough pieces from those of us that read it regularly..

We all need to be more realistic about this issue and stop glossing it over with celebrity..
Dude was a fu*king mess... And pissed a ton of people off by being a mess.. And left kids behind because he was a mess..

Agree!

Funky_Catskills

Oh I agree. It's a painful truth. This happens with far too many entertainers.

Opiates seem to be the rage again..
People can afford heroin over prescribed pain killers more easily..
Addiction is happening all over the place - not just sketchy towns..

prsboogie

I think this was well written and from a point of view that is very contrary to pop culture thinking. Just puts an emphasis on the epidemic drug problem in this country.

I know it isn't a popular opinion on this forum but IMO we are heading in the wrong direction with an this legalization and tolerance. In may people MJ is ABSOUTELY a stepping stone to harder and harsher drugs, mainly in people who should be seeking professional mental health for depression and bipolar disease instead of self medicating and ignoring the real problems they face.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If MJ is a stepping stone, then so is alcohol.

Outside of getting hooked through doctors prescriptions I've never understood the desire for anyone to experiment with opiates. It always seemed like an easy choice. "No, I will not be trying something that could potentially kill me on the spot."

ScottySkis

If wasn't for Cannibus I be dead most likely. I been depression my whole life I been in lots of medicine from doctor prescribed to me for months. Did not drink or due Mary at the time. If some people want get on high from hard core drugs they will they should not blame Cannibus alcohol or any thing other then doctor who gave to them and their selves. Yes it not for everyone but don't blame it for drug problems.

prsboogie

If MJ is a stepping stone, then so is alcohol.

Outside of getting hooked through doctors prescriptions I've never understood the desire for anyone to experiment with opiates. It always seemed like an easy choice. "No, I will not be trying something that could potentially kill me on the spot."

I cannot disagree with over prescribing of pharmaceuticals in this country and I have strong opinions on that (for another thread at some point). But your, and for that matter mine, choice to never do things that could kill you instantly comes from a place of reason and ,assuming here, rational thinking. Something many people just can't do for many reasons.

prsboogie

Was just getting ready to post this..
Alcohol is the problem - if you so chose to label something as a problem... And high prices of meds..

Yes for many alcohol is the only problem and it is devastating. I work with people every day who cannot even walk or wipe their own asses from its effects.

prsboogie

If wasn't for Cannibus I be dead most likely. I been depression my whole life I been in lots of medicine from doctor prescribed to me for months. Did not drink or due Mary at the time. If some people want get on high from hard core drugs they will they should not blame Cannibus alcohol or any thing other then doctor who gave to them and their selves. Yes it not for everyone but don't blame it for drug problems.

Scotty I do not know you but I'm glad you have found a sense of peace. Depression is a horrible disease and impossibly difficult to treat. I believe that it helps some people with many different reasons, cancer patients who have uncontrolled pain or can't eat, severe anxiety (as long as it doesn't make you paranoid).

I am not saying everyone who smokes will advance to harder drugs but in my personal experiences I have never met a junkie who didn't start with MJ. None of them just booted up for their first experience with drugs.

Funky_Catskills

Yes for many alcohol is the only problem and it is devastating. I work with people every day who cannot even walk or wipe their own asses from its effects.

Never said "only"... It's a deeper problem than drugs.. I'm sure you know that...

Funky_Catskills

I'm super glad you're not dead... :)

prsboogie

Never said "only"... It's a deeper problem than drugs.. I'm sure you know that...

I didn't say you did. And I cannot say anymore that it is a bigger problem. 5-10 years ago, absolutely, now it's pretty damn close to tied. We are just not seeing the hard numbers yet. 5 years from now I'm sure there will be better research numbers on this. I just read an article about a local to me high school is requesting narcan in the nursing office, Really, WTF!

MadMadWorld

Scotty I do not know you but I'm glad you have found a sense of peace. Depression is a horrible disease and impossibly difficult to treat. I believe that it helps some people with many different reasons, cancer patients who have uncontrolled pain or can't eat, severe anxiety (as long as it doesn't make you paranoid).

I am not saying everyone who smokes will advance to harder drugs but in my personal experiences I have never met a junkie who didn't start with MJ. None of them just booted up for their first experience with drugs.

I think there are definitely exceptions when it comes to painkillers. I've seen people go to a pain doctor for a legitimate issue, get hooked, lose the doctor, and make the jump to heroin because it's easier to get.

Funky_Catskills

I'm on phase II of my drug usage...
I made it through Phase I.. Never had problems.. Kept a job and motivation..

I'm good now.. :)

Cornhead

If Marijuana were legal there'd be no gateway to harder drugs. As it stands now those who sell pot illegally most likely have access to harder drugs too, or they know someone who does. IMHO, lumping pot into the same category as harder drugs only increases the likelihood of someone "graduating" from weed to something far more dangerous.