• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Reckless skiing may equal DUI

eatskisleep

Crazy, not that I condone skiing recklessly near others, but I guarantee people on power trips will use this to their advantage and prosecute people who did nothing wrong.

snoseek

Cool as long as I can still drink beer at lunch............

ccskier

They have to arrest people for something, their booze is too weak in Utah to arrest people for drunk driving.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It will be interesting to read about the first court case. I think in the court of law, treating skiing while intoxicated resulting in injury due to recklessness won't hold up the same as a DUI. It's more closely related to drunk in public

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Couple of things:

• I have never skied Park City, never wanted to, and now, never will
  • If I do ski Park City, I may as well get drunk and get my money's worth.
  • What legal right does a ski patroller have to detain someone?
"Only sworn law-enforcement officers can issue such citations, but ski patrollers can detain suspected reckless sliders and call Summit County", said Sheriff Dave Edmunds

Paul

Couple of things:

• I have never skied Park City, never wanted to, and now, never will
  • If I do ski Park City, I may as well get drunk and get my money's worth.
  • What legal right does a ski patroller have to detain someone?
"Only sworn law-enforcement officers can issue such citations, but ski patrollers can detain suspected reckless sliders and call Summit County", said Sheriff Dave Edmunds

I don't like the way that this can turn into a he said / he said situation. If someone is being reckless pull their pass. I don't see any need for criminalizing something that is easily enough handled by policies that are already in place. Sounds like grandstanding to me...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I don't like the way that this can turn into a he said / he said situation. If someone is being reckless pull their pass. I don't see any need for criminalizing something that is easily enough handled by policies that are already in place. Sounds like grandstanding to me...

Excellent point.