• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

S Central NY skiing comments

hrstrat57

Looking for comments on skiing in the general Binghamton area....Labrador, Greek and Elk (PA) or others within 1 hr of Binghamton area?

Price, overall conditions, terrain, facilities etc....

Thanks

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Looking for comments on skiing in the general Binghamton area....Labrador, Greek and Elk (PA) or others within 1 hr of Binghamton area?

Price, overall conditions, terrain, facilities etc....

Thanks

I skied Greek Peak, but I honestly don't remember much, it was nearly 30 years ago. All I remember is that they were a mid-sized hill and they had good snow.

AndyEich

It's been a long time since I skied either, but I remember Elk being great in terms of terrain--serious and sustained pitch, and interesting trails. It was a skier's mountain, meaning that the lifts were not very modern and the facilities basic. Best I've skied in PA. I remember Greek as a lot of fun--very spread out but without the challenge of Elk. When there is enough snow, they have tree skiing at Greek and don't allow it at Elk. Either are definitely worth trying.
I've heard Labrador and Song are a step down, so I never tried those.
________
Club Royal Condos

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Labrador was nominated on the TGR list of ski areas not run by a-holes. Other than that, I got nothing; haven't skied any of them. Good luck!

Powderqueen

Greek Peak is pretty fair, Labrador is worse. Elk beats both, but doesn't get the lake effect snow that the other 2 get. Any place is great on a powder day, but all of these hills have pretty short runs. Elk has more consistent pitch. Greek Peak is overpriced during the daytime, but the $25 night skiing is a good deal.

Facilities are basic at all 3, though Greek Peak is in the midst of buidling a brand new "Indoor Water Park" Lodge across the road. Lifts are old and slow. There is a plan to change all that...though hard to believe in this economy. We are just happy they are going to spin the lifts.

Last edited:

4aprice

I can comment on Elk since we ski it every season coming at it from the south (the Poconos'). Elk is a nice mountain - solid 1000 ft vert. It has no high speed lifts which bothers some people but not me. When the natural snow is good (a better chance at Elk then the Pocono areas further south) it really fun and has some good bump runs. A very worthy area.

The downsides to Elk are a small outdated base lodge, bad parking (and method of getting the skier up to the lodge to buy a ticket) and IMHO a below average snowmaking system and an expensive price structure

You might see how far Plattekill and Belleayre are from Binghamton.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Warp Daddy

Lab = 700 vert, nothing too challenging, but can be a fun place to ski for a family or those not seeking double blacks . Lifts average speed, not much waiting whenever i've skied it with my family

trackbiker

Elk and Greek Peak are about the same distance from Binghamtom. Elk is definitely the better choice.
Both have only fixed grip lifts but Elks are well maintained and they keep the lines moving. Elk has better snowmaking, grooming, and trail selection.
Greek Peak hasn't put any money into the ski area in 30 years. (billski, you wouldn't notice any difference from 30 years ago other than a new trail that cut to sell the wood.)
Greek Peak also has high prices for what they offer. They have cheap season passes but there is no discount midweek. That said, if they get some lake effect, that's the place to go. They also have more trails if you go at night. I hit it on a powder day last year and it was great. All things being the same I would choose Elk.

Rambo

I live in Binghamton NY, which is about 45 miles from Elk Mountain. I ski Greek Peak in Central NY mostly (34 miles). I ski Elk ocassionaly and find it to be great. Don't let anyone tell you different as Elk has Great Snowmaking and Grooming capabilites. Elk always puts down a very deep base on their trails, they do not skimp on Snowmaking. There are several great expert and intermediate runs. My only complaint is that Elk usually runs out of skiers at the very end of March and closes. Elk AWAYS could go into April as there is always plenty of machine made base left, BUT with few skiers left in April they tend to close.

Elk Mountain has slightly more vertical feet than Greek Peak. 1,000 ft vs 900 ft. Elk has real good snowmaking. Several years ago Elk's compressor and pumping facility caught fire and burned down - they used the insurance money to build a bigger and better snowmaking system. At Elk skiers do have to get on the back of a shuttle truck to be transported from the parking lots up to the mountain.

Greek Peak is better for beginers. Greek always has a good fleet of groomers and this year has bought some techno-alpin fan guns. I'm quite sure that when you buy an all day lift ticket it is good for all day and all night.

Rates:
Elk:
Weekends & Holidays - day = $56. Night = $28.
Weekdays - day = $47. Night = $26.

Greek Peak:
Full Day Lift ticket = $59. (good for all day and night skiing also).
Night = $31.

2 pics of Greek Peak:
greekpeak2.jpg

greekpeak.jpg

2 pics of Elk:
ElkMountain1x.jpg

elk2.jpg

skiadikt

interesting ... looks like both places have more bumps than killington has had the past 2 seasons.

campgottagopee

Have nothing to add other than a couple items---Lab getting no love???What up with that???Lab gets some great snow when the LE starts shaking that $$$$ maker, granted the vert isn't as big (none are) but the place has some good tree skiing. Greek is very consistant with good snowmaking, grooming, bumps, couple nice headwalls and tree skiing. (been pass holder at greek for 30 yrs.

I say go check 'em all out!!!

ps--Lab has the best bar

trtaylor

At Elk skiers do have to get on the back of a shuttle truck to be transported from the parking lots up to the mountain.
You can avoid that (midweek) by getting there early. There are two upper lots. One within walking distance of the lodge. The other lets you ride the Tunhannock lift.

Warp Daddy

Hey Camp we liked lab. The coverage is super usually and trails are fun ---just saying nothing real steep double black for those who crave deep and steep. But for a fun day of skiing Lab is fine and has a nice vibe !!

campgottagopee

Hey Camp we liked lab. The coverage is super usually and trails are fun ---just saying nothing real steep double black for those who crave deep and steep. But for a fun day of skiing Lab is fine and has a nice vibe !!

True, and that's why my pass is at Greek and not Lab. Just wish Greek would start putting some $$$$ back into the hill and not that stupid Water/Hotel thing. I know that's their plan but I'm not optimistic about it. Hope I'm wrong!

Warp Daddy

True, and that's why my pass is at Greek and not Lab. Just wish Greek would start putting some $$$$ back into the hill and not that stupid Water/Hotel thing. I know that's their plan but I'm not optimistic about it. Hope I'm wrong!

I couldn't agree more Camp .

Greek @900 vert while a nice venue and a fun day's skiing doesn't strike me as a destination resort venue. Not knocking the skiing at all but seems like a wannabee in village bldg "bidness" , I may be out in left field with this opinion, time will tell

campgottagopee

I couldn't agree more Camp .

Greek @900 vert while a nice venue and a fun day's skiing doesn't strike me as a destination resort venue. Not knocking the skiing at all but seems like a wannabee in village bldg "bidness" , I may be out in left field with this opinion, time will tell

Think many of we "locals" are in left field with you tho---They're marketing this as a "Conference Center", now excuse me but why the hell would anyone want to come to Virgil NY for a conference!!?? So they can go down a water slide and ski Greek??? There's also plans to build a new golf course to enhance the Hotel experience. Oh, and they're alos going to upgrade the hill, yup we almost forgot about that.

Please don't get me wrong I hope they make it, and make it BIG. I just don't have the same vision as the owners do. I'm VERY fortunate to have this place right in my backyard and fear we could lose it by jumping in as deep as we have.

Rambo

Last February I attended an information session about Greek Peak's ski area expansion plans. The financial institution (I think from Tennessee) that financed the Hotel/waterpark will lend GP 17 million for new lifts, lodges, parking lot and terrain expansion. BUT the catch is to be able to pay back the loan Greek would have to DOUBLE the number of lift tickets now sold per year.

Seems it might be hard for Greek to double their lift ticket / season pass sales.

campgottagopee

Last February I attended an information session about Greek Peak's ski area expansion plans. The financial institution (I think from Tennessee) that financed the Hotel/waterpark will lend GP 17 million for new lifts, lodges, parking lot and terrain expansion. BUT the catch is to be able to pay back the loan Greek would have to DOUBLE the number of lift tickets now sold per year.

Seems it might be hard for Greek to double their lift ticket / season pass sales.

I'll say!!!

gorgonzola

^ that's interesting...i wonder what the numbers game is theyre playing. we bought a 1/4 share there and as one of the percs we get 4 passes for i think ten years. if they project those 100 units x 4 x 4 plus hotel guest passes thats a sh!tload more than they sold last year!