• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

S Central NY skiing comments

4aprice

You can avoid that (midweek) by getting there early. There are two upper lots. One within walking distance of the lodge. The other lets you ride the Tunhannock lift.

I always park in the lots that access the trails just above the base of the west side chairs. They used to let you ride up the chairs and ski over to the base lodge to buy your ticket. When ever I've been there recently they've made us ride the Elk Mobile up to the ticket window. (haven't been on a weekday in a long time). I personally can't stand the Elk Mobile. I understand that the policy was abused but what would it take to build a small ticket shack down at the bottom of the west side lifts?

I like Elk as a mountain and am glad to hear the snowmaking system has been upgraded (still think Camelback's is much more powerful). We've done (and still do) many an Elk/Camelback weekend. A good combo. Wish Elk would offer more discounts on the lift tickets.

In reply to to someone who said that Labradors bar was great. Haven't been there to check it out (definately interested now) but I still believe the Camelback bar (renamed the Thirsty Camel this season) is one of the best. Have been known to leave Elk after a day of skiing and drive the hour to Camelback just for happy hour.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

thanks for the pics. Ack! They boulevard-ed the place, huh?

Not sure what you mean but the 2nd picture of Elk with the bumps is how it normally is. Tunk is the best mogul trail in NE PA. I don't know if I've ever seen it groomed like the 1st picture.

If Camelback follows my suggestion and let's part of Cliffhanger bump up, Tunk might have some competition.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

hrstrat57

I live in Binghamton NY, which is about 45 miles from Elk Mountain. I ski Greek Peak in Central NY mostly (34 miles). I ski Elk ocassionaly and find it to be great. Don't let anyone tell you different as Elk has Great Snowmaking and Grooming capabilites. Elk always puts down a very deep base on their trails, they do not skimp on Snowmaking. There are several great expert and intermediate runs. My only complaint is that Elk usually runs out of skiers at the very end of March and closes. Elk AWAYS could go into April as there is always plenty of machine made base left, BUT with few skiers left in April they tend to close.

Elk Mountain has slightly more vertical feet than Greek Peak. 1,000 ft vs 900 ft. Elk has real good snowmaking. Several years ago Elk's compressor and pumping facility caught fire and burned down - they used the insurance money to build a bigger and better snowmaking system. At Elk skiers do have to get on the back of a shuttle truck to be transported from the parking lots up to the mountain.

Greek Peak is better for beginers. Greek always has a good fleet of groomers and this year has bought some techno-alpin fan guns. I'm quite sure that when you buy an all day lift ticket it is good for all day and all night.

Rates:
Elk:
Weekends & Holidays - day = $56. Night = $28.
Weekdays - day = $47. Night = $26.

Greek Peak:
Full Day Lift ticket = $59. (good for all day and night skiing also).
Night = $31.

2 pics of Greek Peak:
greekpeak2.jpg

greekpeak.jpg

2 pics of Elk:
ElkMountain1x.jpg

elk2.jpg

Nice!