• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback

wtcobb

If I were a buyer I'd be tempted to hold off on the purchase until after the season. All the bad vibes from this winter placed on the old ownership. Maybe a sale will be renegotiated and go through this summer? Start fresh with a new year as opposed to coming into a hornet's nest.

VTKilarney

In hindsight, they would have lost either way. If they opened they would have hemorrhaged money, but they will also feel an impact for not opening.

I don't envy their situation. Hopefully a sale goes through in time to have everything lined up for next year.

wtcobb

In hindsight, they would have lost either way. If they opened they would have hemorrhaged money, but they will also feel an impact for not opening.

I don't envy their situation. Hopefully a sale goes through in time to have everything lined up for next year.

Very true on all counts here. Tough situation to be in.

tipsdown

Yes, also heard the deal with current buyer fell through. I'm hearing they were working with multiple buyers until late fall. They ultimately pursued the buyer that was willing to try and open...there was only one. The buyer(s) that didn't want to open this year are back in play....Heard the helicopter is back for what it's worth.

SIKSKIER

I dont know why the Berry family gets all this love for the way this has been handled.I said it back in July that this ploy about not opening unless a new lift could be installed smelled.It still stinks and they continue to string their faithfull along.

JamaicaMan

Feel bad for Saddleback skiers like my sister's fam.

Purchase offering prices from any buyers will surely be dropping now that it won't be opening...

xwhaler

Purchase offering prices from any buyers will surely be dropping now that it won't be opening...

Not necessarily if there are now multiple parties back in play. Plus not opening now means the new buyer doesn't assume the risk of this yr in terms of even getting back to break even given the short time left + lack of natural.

I think we get some news in the next couple weeks that they are officially not opening this yr which of course is obvious at this stage.
I then think we get some good news sometime late Spring that a deal has come through and new buyers are assuming control to get mtn ready for next yr.
Question will be whether Rangeley gets replaced right away or not.

SIKSKIER

I then think we get some good news sometime late Spring that a deal has come through and new buyers are assuming control to get mtn ready for next yr.

Based on what?Surely not this past years track record which is actually worse than Burke in my opinion.At least Burke opened.The regular skier base has been jerked around since summer.

xwhaler

Based on what?Surely not this past years track record which is actually worse than Burke in my opinion.At least Burke opened.The regular skier base has been jerked around since summer.

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic as a big 'Back fanboy but I do think a deal gets done. There were multiple parties interested this summer/fall----too big/special to go NELSAP I hope.

The Berry's were done losing $ so once the loan didn;t come through to replace the Rangeley they decided basically not to open and only sell to someone who would open this yr.

EPB

I'd hope Boyne would try to get the place off the scrap heap on the cheap before NELSAP.

skiMEbike

I'd hope Boyne would try to get the place off the scrap heap on the cheap before NELSAP.

That would be a dream come true (at least for this Maine skier)...The Back, The River, and The Loaf all on one pass (& yes I did intentionally leave Loon off the list :razz:)

Abominable

Man, this thread is a bummer. Friends have always told me to get there and never have. As a longtime fisherman (including fly) I've fished a lot up around there, and so it has an attraction just for the trail names, if for no other reason. Seems to have that 'vibe' - hopefully that will be enough to keep it going.

SIKSKIER

Maybe I'm just overly optimistic as a big 'Back fanboy but I do think a deal gets done. There were multiple parties interested this summer/fall----too big/special to go NELSAP I hope.

The Berry's were done losing $ so once the loan didn;t come through to replace the Rangeley they decided basically not to open and only sell to someone who would open this yr.

I'm not ragging on you and I too hope something gets done.

SIKSKIER

Saw this on their website today.

We will not be open for February vacation week and any update on a possible opening date will be posted as we receive the information.

VTKilarney

Saw this on their website today.

We will not be open for February vacation week and any update on a possible opening date will be posted as we receive the information.

I can't imagine that they will open this year if they miss February break. Maybe if they get a ton of snow. But are the lifts inspected and do they even have insurance?

tipsdown

I know for certain there were multiple buyers, some with very ambitious plans that would be interested in purchasing the resort in the winter/early spring. The pressure is off to open this year....I don't know the details but I can say said buyer(s) are no longer on the sidelines. This situation has no doubt been a mess but I would be surprised if they don't have a new owner by the end of ski season.

machski

Don't think they have the capital. They would have bought Solitude long before Saddleback but couldn't get that together. After this season, I would doubt they would want another New England resort to operate. And BTW, they don't own any of the 3 they already operate here.

capt'n

Hope Boyne is not in the running. Someday Bigger and Ice Loaf should keep them busy with their corporate visions.