• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Searching for and choosing a college

Warp Daddy

Never had a guidance counselor myself , but had a dad that was involved with HIS college for yrs so was a campus rat and knew "stuff'

Admittedly my 'tude 'bout GC's is a might "Warped" :D - my feeling is in some cases the worst teachers ultimately end up as GC's :D

I 'm sure there are dedicated and folks who practice what i call Directive counseling -- i've just not encountered many in my yrs as an educator . The field seems a bit too laid back and non -directive , but then again that;s my opinion -- Yours ??

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Given my college experience with advisors as well, I'd say that he better be a really good advocate for himself. He needs to take responsibility for what he needs to get done and do it. Part of becoming an adult. :)

Geoff

Now for a vent...not sure what everyone else's experience is/was, but after trying to resolve some class schedule issues for my son I'm convinced that his high school guidance department leaves quite a bit to be desired. How much does he really need to deal with them? I remember that when I went to school my guidance counselor was also of limited use...

A high school guidance counselor is a politically well connected high school teacher who picked a transfer to a job at the same pay level where you don't have to prepare daily classes and correct papers and exams. Chances are, they went to a state teacher's college for their degree. They're average and their frame of reference is dealing with average students. If you want to be average in life, by all means listen to a high school guidance counselor.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
A high school guidance counselor is a politically well connected high school teacher who picked a transfer to a job at the same pay level where you don't have to prepare daily classes and correct papers and exams. Chances are, they went to a state teacher's college for their degree. They're average and their frame of reference is dealing with average students. If you want to be average in life, by all means listen to a high school guidance counselor.
My guidance counselor in high school was actually a psych major. Not a teacher; different track. My cousin just went through it and it's a lot different than going for a teaching degree. Maybe CT is different?

However, we had a career counselor (or whatever the hell she called herself) that we were supposed to go to for help with college choices. I was in the top 10% of my class and so she felt I needed to go to a big bucks school. When she found out I had to pay for it myself (which isn't easy as a minor because all schools look at parents' income and factor that into financial aid--they don't believe your parents won't help pay), she said, "why bother going then?" Yeah, she was a great resource. :roll:

skiNEwhere

UMASS (Amherst) isn't bad, that's where i go, tuition is around 19,000 including room and meals, not to mention closer to the VT ski areas (compared to Boston)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
UMASS (Amherst) isn't bad, that's where i go, tuition is around 19,000 including room and meals, not to mention closer to the VT ski areas (compared to Boston)
Keep in mind that that figure will fluctuate depending on if you are a MA resident, New England resident, or other. The same could be said about UCONN; decent school (I go to 3 of the campuses outside of Storrs) but costs will fluctuate depending on your residency. Full-time tuition for this coming year was around $8K but I live in state and I don't have to pay for housing/meals because I already pay for that with my family. ;)

snoseek

Metro State in Denver=under 5k a year for in state tuition plus cheap rent in the area.

WakeboardMom

Four kids, private h.s., the guidance department sucked. The best "guidance counselor" in that school was the football/track coach (now the AD). He knew the kids on a personal level; saw them in action day in and day out and took an interest in their lives beyond h.s. He was able to help them identify what would be a "good fit" for them when they were considering colleges.

(My daughter [fourth child] is now at a state teacher's college working toward a degree in elementary ed. However, she is decidedly not average. ; )

NYDrew

Guidance counselors are a great source of information. If a guidance counselor tells you to do something...do the exact opposite.

hammer

Guidance counselors are a great source of information. If a guidance counselor tells you to do something...do the exact opposite.
OK, now the next question...if Guidance Counselors are universally bad then why do colleges require letters of recommendation from them?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
OK, now the next question...if Guidance Counselors are universally bad then why do colleges require letters of recommendation from them?

They do? Can't you just get a letter of recommendation from a teacher with whom you have a relationship and is actually can speak with authority on the matter?

Warp Daddy

Its Kinda a self regulated "mystical process" that has been created to sophisticate the whole process -- re- read earlier portions of this thread . At best IMHO its marketing hype

I've observed it from the inside for over 3 decades . Many GC are part of the same 'professional frats or societies" as their admissions counterparts and so in polite terms its often a "professional courtesy" IMO most schools will PAY attention to the letters of instructors and more importantly alums or other FOC's ( Friends of the College) or influentials ----. especially THOSE who DONATE to annual funds or development office campaigns . You wanted the unfiltered truth -- there it is :D:D

thetrailboss

Staff member

Who has that requirement? Generally the requirement is for recommendations from teachers/coaches/people who know the student.

hammer

New question...

My son is thinking of going to a school in the south but I'd say that his personal/political beliefs are definitely a bit to the left. Are there any recommendations for southern cities that are good, open college towns?

wa-loaf

New question...

My son is thinking of going to a school in the south but I'd say that his personal/political beliefs are definitely a bit to the left. Are there any recommendations for southern cities that are good, open college towns?

Athens, GA; Austin, TX?

Puck it

Athens, GA; Austin, TX?

Most colleges will be fairly liberal along with larger cities. Should be fine, but most college start out as liberals. Don't worry they see the light after a few years out of school.:roll:

They will become morally liberal and fiscally conservative.

Last edited:

ctenidae

Wilmington, NC is good, New ORleans is great. Most of the South is more liberal than you think- in the urban areas, anyway. Old Miss might not be so good for him, but unless he's a pre-op midget tranny in drag with a handful of sparkly balloons in a country town at 4am, he should be fine.

/not that there's anythign wrong with pre-op tranny midgets in drag. It's the balloons that set it off.

Geoff

New question...

Raleigh-Durham

New Orleans

Washington D.C.

Austin, Texas (but nowhere else in Texas)

NYDrew

Wilmington, NC is good, New ORleans is great. Most of the South is more liberal than you think- in the urban areas, anyway. Old Miss might not be so good for him, but unless he's a pre-op midget tranny in drag with a handful of sparkly balloons in a country town at 4am, he should be fine.

/not that there's anythign wrong with pre-op tranny midgets in drag. It's the balloons that set it off.

I once saw a one-eyed midget bum with one crutch and a walking stick playing the accordion in the subway. When no one put money in the cup taped to his crutch, he whacked it with his walking stick and exclaimed "holy freholtes" (sp?) just like speedy gonzalez. I couldn't help but fall to the floor in laughter.

The previous day a midget flew past me in Penn on a razor scooter and had a huge clown horn mounted to the handlebars that he was honking.

These two moments define why if I was to drop dead right now, I could call my life complete.