• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seeded Bump Lobbying Letter

jaywbigred

Feel free to copy the appropriate portions of this letter for your own use. I just sent it to Shawnee, at the suggestion of whomever answered the phone when I called awhile ago.

"Hello!

I am in the market to purchase a season pass for the 2010-2011 season. By way of quick profile, I am 30 yrs old, live in NJ, and own a condo at Mt. Snow, VT, where I ski on weekends. What I am looking for is a pass that will allow me to ski moguls (I am big time into bumps!), at night, during the week. At first glance, your Night Pass would seem to be perfect. And I understand from the forums I frequent online at Alpinezone ( http://forums.alpinezone.com/index.php ) and from a call to your general number, that you guys have let Tecumseh bump up this year. That is great! But I was wondering if there would be anyone who would be willing to listen to some "lobbying" for a seeded mogul run for next year. When I say seeded, I primarily mean via a snow cat and snow making equipment. Some mountains seed using skiers, but that takes more work/manpower.

Camelback and Blue both have seeded bump runs right now. At Camelback, they are on Lower Cleopatra, and at Blue they are on Challenger (see attached picture) and Barney's Bumps. All of them are skiable at night. Those mountains have shown a commitment to bump skiing and to seeded bump skiing the last few years. I am considering buying passes to one of those mountains instead of Shawnee, though I have a preference for Shawnee for many reasons (you guys offer a night only pass; you are closer to me; I like the atmosphere better; I learned to ski at Shawnee!, etc...).

What I was hoping was that someone in Mountain Ops might commit to the possibility of seeding a bump run next year. Obviously, this would depend on conditions and snowfall, and I wouldn't expect a seeded run if conditions weren't appropriate. The reasons I am looking for a seeded run, rather than a natural one, has mostly to do with my experience with the natural lines on bump runs at certain mountains. As one might imagine, certain mountains attract a certain caliber of skier. When those skier's dictate where and how the bumps form, you get mogul runs of differing quality. The natural bump runs at Mad River Glen and Sugarbush are somewhat different than the natural bump runs at Mt. Snow, which are in turn different than the natural bump runs I have experienced this season at Camelback. For this reason, I was hoping Mountain Ops might entertain the idea of a seeded run.

Mind you that I wouldn't expect or ask for a premium trail to be devoted to bumps. Nor would I ask that an entire width of a trail be devoted to bumps. But perhaps it would be possible to consider seeding a set of bumps on one side of a single trail, say 3-4 bumps wide, in total, on one of the more out of the way runs? It doesn't matter to me (nor to most bump skiers) if it is a black diamond, blue square, or green circle (note that Lower Cleopatra at Camelback is a green circle). Mostly, it's just about having a quality line on which to practice, build endurance, and get some exercise, midweek.

I would love some feedback as to whether or not this is something that Mountain Ops might consider. It would go a long way in helping me decide between Blue, Camelback, and Shawnee for my 2010-2011 season pass. I would add that, as per observation all up and down the east coast from the ski-nuts at Alpinezone, seeding bumps is becoming more and more common, both as a way for bigger mountains to put bumps on lower angle trails to help intermediates learn, and as a way for more local hills to "do the most" with the limited terrain/weather they have available. Below is an informal list of east coast resorts where seeded bump runs have been confirmed this year:

Blue Mountain
Camelback
Roundtop
Liberty
Whitetail
Okemo
Killington
Mount Snow
Attitash
Loon
Sunday River
Windham
Belleayre
Sundown
Sunapee
Saddleback
Catamount
Wachusett
Peak and Peak
Ski Ward
Waterville

I know I am just one voice, and I don't carry much weight (though wherever I buy my 2010-11 season pass, my buddy and fellow bump-lover will also be buying, so I can guarantee at least 2 new passes). But given the number of places doing it, maybe there is an untapped market for you guys.

Anyway, any information you have would be great. I understand from my phone call earlier today that this email will be forwarded to the appropriate party.

Thanks for your time!"

And I attached Root's picture:

You should show them this one!
18335_524801446924_39300404_31174974_7164013_n.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Cool. Good luck and let us know if they respond.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The name of the run is actually "Challenge", and they also have had bumps Nightmare (which is a new trail for 09/10) for most of the season. Also, I didn't actually take that pic. Toast on PASR did.

I second Greg...let us know if they respond!

4aprice

Good luck and I also will be interested if they respond. I've let Camelback management know my feelings over and over again. There are some forces that agree and some that don't. I've been told that its hard to get some to change their ways. I'm gonna keep banging away till they either do it or ask me to leave. I do believe they will "try out" a seeded section of Cliffhanger at some point next season.

BTW They are having some sort of bump contest on Asp weekend of the 26th. These aren't seeded bumps and I don't think there would be any kickers so I'm not sure of the rules. I guess its just a style contest. I won't be there as I will be in Utah then but hope it gets alot of people to enter to show management the renewed interest in bump skiing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

BTW Jay:

Your good with words. Why don't you write Camelback an identical letter about seeded bumps on Cliffhanger and see if you get a response? (shameless recruitment tool for my cause). Send it to Charlie Knopp at cknopp@skicamelback.com.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Last edited:

RiverChaser

Jack Frost

They seeded moguls on the left side of Exhibition this year, and they saw a lot of action. After the snow the let Floyds bump up naturally, but skiing seeded and natural moguls are two different skill sets, so its nice to have both.

Greg

Staff member
interesting take on it. any chance you want to describe the different skill sets?

Here we go... :roll:

The only difference is line correction. If you can ski seeded bumps well then you know what a good line is supposed to look like. If you're skiing natural bumps that require a lot of line correction, then you're skiing shitty natural bumps.

Glenn

If you're skiing natural bumps that require a lot of line correction, then you're skiing shitty natural bumps.

Which are often trashed thanks to snowboarders.

I kid, I kid! It's Friday...just having a little fun before :spread: and :beer: this weekend.

jaytrem

The only difference is line correction. If you can ski seeded bumps well then you know what a good line is supposed to look like. If you're skiing natural bumps that require a lot of line correction, then you're skiing shitty natural bumps.

Some people can ski pretty much straight down natural bumps, even shitty ones. There's a lot more to it than line correction. Gotta be able to air form one bump to another, control absorption amount, "turn" on all different parts of the bumps. Each bump presents a different set of circumstances and choices to make, so it also requires a lot of quick thinking. Personally I think the skill set required to go from seeded to natural is probably more than going from groomed to seeded. Unlike the poster above, I don't feel seeded bumps are for "posers", i enjoy them when I ski em, but there is a HUGE difference. It sure does get amplified when I'm on tele skis.

2knees

Some people can ski pretty much straight down natural bumps, even shitty ones. There's a lot more to it than line correction. Gotta be able to air form one bump to another, control absorption amount, "turn" on all different parts of the bumps. Each bump presents a different set of circumstances and choices to make, so it also requires a lot of quick thinking. Personally I think the skill set required to go from seeded to natural is probably more than going from groomed to seeded. Unlike the poster above, I don't feel seeded bumps are for "posers", i enjoy them when I ski em, but there is a HUGE difference. It sure does get amplified when I'm on tele skis.

people over think this waaay too much. I wont pretend to be an expert on anything but i've been skiing bumps for many years and i take the same approach regardless of how the bumps were formed.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
people over think this waaay too much. I wont pretend to be an expert on anything but i've been skiing bumps for many years and i take the same approach regardless of how the bumps were formed.
I've been avoiding trails with bumps for many years, and this approach works well for me also! :roll:

jaytrem

I don't think it's really a "how the bumps were formed" thing, it's more a "do you need a nice line to ski bumps competently". If you're want to get from point A to point B in the straightest line possible you definitely need to change your approach and thus addition skills. At any rate this stuff does put me in the mood to ski some bumps, I think I'll put away the tele skis for a day and break out the bumpers.

RiverChaser

> The only difference is line correction. If you can ski seeded bumps well then you know what a good line is supposed to look like. If you're skiing natural bumps that require a lot of line correction, then you're skiing shitty natural bumps.

Most natural bumps where I ski do require a lot of line correction - I have a hard time keeping my attention far enough down the hill to pick a good line in time. Also the bumps tend to vary more in size than seeded.

jaywbigred

I don't think it's really a "how the bumps were formed" thing, it's more a "do you need a nice line to ski bumps competently". If you're want to get from point A to point B in the straightest line possible you definitely need to change your approach and thus addition skills. At any rate this stuff does put me in the mood to ski some bumps, I think I'll put away the tele skis for a day and break out the bumpers.

I think most people who are even slightly "in" to bumps can likely ski both seeded and unseeded "competently." But competently is not necessarily the goal. The goal is to have fun. And for me, and I think a lot of bump enthusiasts, regardless of ability level, more fun is had when the lines are good and you can really get a rhythm going. If the lines break down a lot, it interrupts your rhythm. It is still fun, but I don't get the same feeling from it (the feeling I can only describe as akin to "hitting the sweet spot").

In places stocked with good skiers (lots of places out west, MRG, Sugarbush, and so on) you get superior natural bump lines that allow you to ski the zipper w little line correction while simultaneously containing nuances that make the line more interesting and challenging than a seeded run.

But at places, e.g., in the Poconos, the natural lines do not form this way, so seeded bumps are your best bet.

jaywbigred

BTW Jay:

Your good with words. Why don't you write Camelback an identical letter about seeded bumps on Cliffhanger and see if you get a response? (shameless recruitment tool for my cause). Send it to Charlie Knopp at cknopp@skicamelback.com.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Alex...just got back from Utah. I'll try to find some time this week to send an email. Don't know if I'll get to it or not, but I'll try!

As an alternative, if you want, you can forward my email to him and tell him the backstory...