• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Separate Skiing Trip Reports by State?

Should we separate TRs into different forums?

• No, leave it the way it is.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Yes, by state.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Yes, by region (NNE, SNE, etc.).

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • What are TRs?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Seems like the abundance of Sundown reports is annoying some people. Apparently, they find it too difficult to simply skip them. There is no way that I'm going to try to stifle people from writing TRs, but this might be a solution.

How about separate TR forums for different regions? i.e. SNE, NNE, NY/NJ, PA/Mid-Atlantic?

Personally, I think it's fine the way it is and I skip many TRs for places I'm not interested in. Pretty simple solution, but I want to put this out there as a poll to gauge how the rest of the community feels.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I mainly view the forum by clicking on New Posts, so I will still have to sift through all the Sundown threads which is annoying but I just don't click on them.

However, I did vote to have them arranged by region because it may be easier for people new to the forum to find what they're looking for more quickly.

So in summation, I think they should be arranged by region even though it won't really affect me.

Greg

Staff member
I mainly view the forum by clicking on New Posts

I suspected that those that have the biggest issue with this are using "New Posts". How about if I sort the results by forum?

gmcunni

Seems like the abundance of Sundown reports is annoying some people. Apparently, they find it too difficult to simply skip them.

i just think we need snow so people will get back to skiing..too much time on our hands leaves us with nothing better to do than complain.

i vote to leave it as-is.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If this is an issue for some people, then they clearly have too much time on their hands. I make similar complaints about all the MTB threads that show up when I hit 'new posts', but I'm really just teasing when I do. It's a message board, don't open the darn thread if you don't want to read it or click on it and then hit new posts again and it will disappear from the first page

Grassi21

i also vote to leave it as is. i skip threads i don't want to read. not sure why people can't do the same and stop complaining about threads they don't have to read.

bvibert

Staff member
I think it's fine the way it is now, some of the regions would likely see little use.

The new posts people seem to be the biggest whiners about this sort of thing. How about if we simply disable that annoying feature, then the problem is solved. ;)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I don't read all the TR's, but I will make it a point to look at it if the
camera.gif
icon in the TR title.

I voted to keep it how it is.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Well again, I could easily make it so the default sort is by forum. The result would be:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=17,30&sortby=forum

Would that help?
Don't like that. It creates more work than leaving things as is. If you're not reading every single post, then you'll have to regularly go into each forum and mark all threads read; otherwise, you'll have to sift through pages to get through each forum. Like right now, I have 7 pgs of new threads. I mostly just read what's on pgs 1 or 2... and the rest are things I didn't feel like reading. Once in a while, I'll go into each forum and mark them read, but it's a PITA to do each individually so I don't do it often. Much easier to just skip things with the way they are set up now than to have to go through all that hassle.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Personally, I wouldn't mind separate forums per state since the forum software can let me exclude forums from my "get new posts" search. I certainly would not have any objection to excluding reports in MA, CT, and RI (no offense, I never read them except for stuff like the Bump or Bust stuff). But I think the Sundown Post whinners really just need to sack up and skip those posts like the rest of us non-Sundown followers do.

bvibert

Staff member
Personally, I wouldn't mind separate forums per state since the forum software can let me exclude forums from my "get new posts" search.

It can? I never ever use the "New Posts" function, I wasn't aware of such a feature..

bvibert

Staff member

o3jeff

Next the will want you to separate the Trips and Events by state too.

Best left as is and just read what you want.